“Very disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
Ranked #19 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We reserved a room with double beds for June 20-22 for a religious convention which was guaranteed in an email. I spoke with the front desk attendant upon check in and she said on her screen double beds were not guaranteed. Despite her viewing my confirmation email she stated "there was nothing she could do." Housekeeping brought up a rollaway cot and the front desk attendant gave us a breakfast voucher for one day. I personally do not think this suffices as it was very inconveniencing to myself and my brother. A breakfast voucher does not assuage a mistake made by the hotel and subsequently not rectified. Additionally she asked condescendingly whether we called to check after our booking of the room since it was booked in February. As mentioned to her there was no need seeing as our confirmation email stated the double beds were guaranteed. This was poor customer service practice and I would hope that they will handle matters better in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lydia F
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you very much, Lydia, for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay. I am very sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for a two queen room and only had a room with a King bed and pull out sleeper sofa. I am also sorry that we were unable to honor your request for a cot as we do not have rollaways/cots due to our king rooms offering a pull out sleeper sofa. We appreciate your feedback and do hope that upon your return to Columbia, we can be given the opportunity to serve you again. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I welcome your correspondence.

Thank you again and hope to see you again soon.

Holly Penny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Oakland, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I recently opened a Marriott credit card to take advantage of the fact that we would be staying in the Courtyard Marriott in Columbia while visiting our son who will be a freshman at University of South Carolina in the fall.

I made reservations in May in anticipation of freshman orientation in June/July 2014 and received one free night from our credit card. I stayed three nights, while my son stayed two nights since he stayed in a dorm one night.

Our room was on an upper floor facing Assembly Street. Unfortunately, being on the 6th floor did not help with the road noise at night.

The hallways appeared to be being redone with the moldings off and stained carpets, but didn't see a sign in the lobby stating that a renovation was underway. Additionally, I noticed a cap from a pen that sat in the hallway all three days we were there. Evidence that vacuuming the hallways in not a priority.The staff was somewhat friendly, but less so than I anticipated.

Overall, the room was not worth the expense and I am reconsidering whether to stay at that particular Marriott again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lphilplan
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.com. I am sorry you did not experience our hotel at its best. I am happy to report that the renovations will be completed by early fall. I am disappointed that your experience was not exceptional. We would definitely hope that you will give us another chance when coming back to Columbia to visit or bring your son. Please be sure to request a quieter room so that we can best accommodate you. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

As a platinum Marriott traveler, I try to stay loyal to the brand, but I do enjoy changing it up on occasion within the Marriott family. Case in point, my recent Courtyard stays in Columbia. Location is very convenient and parking was easy and free. I was greeted warmly, thanked for my loyalty and upgraded to a suite. Again...very nice. The night was super quiet and everything in the room was clean and in good working order. The internet wireless signal was strong and I had no problems. Next morning, I was off to work quickly with no issues. I actually like this place better than the Marriott flagship a few blocks away. If you are looking for good value and a safe, quiet night. Consider the Courtyard Downtown by USC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor about our Courtyard by Marriott Downtown at USC. I am very glad that you found our location convenient and that the parking was complimentary and easy to access. I look forward to sharing your thoughtful comments with our entire team. We take great pride in the service we provide you and are delighted to hear such great comments. Thank you again for the review and thank you for being a Platinum Elite. We look forward to serving you again soon on your next trip to Columbia, SC!
Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Have stayed at this location several times while visiting students at USC. Great location and has all the amenities of a Courtyard. Near campus and restaurants. Would certainly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Downtown at USC. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are your preferred place to stay when traveling to Columbia. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel to let others know about our close proximity to USC and to the Vista area. I look forward to sharing your comments with our team. We thank you again and look forward to serving you again soon!

Warmest Regards,
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am a Marriott Platinum member so I stay at a lot of Marriott properties. This was one of the best I have stayed at in a long time. I had noticed that their website indicated that renovations might be ongoing, but I did not see any signs of it. I never checked out the pool or fitness center, but it appeared that the lobby area had been completely renovated and was very attractive. We were in town for a University of South Carolina tour and this property was very convenient for that as it is just off campus. The room was clean and comfortable. I did hear the trains that have been mentioned, but they did not disturb me and I am a light sleeper. We were on a high floor so they may have helped. If I had to find a complaint it would be that the spaces in the parking garage were a little tight, but they were not atypical of an urban hotel. All of the the staff were very friendly and Kim at the front desk was extremely helpful. I noticed that occupancy level was pretty low and asked for a very late checkout. My request was granted without hesitation, which was great because we were able to grab a quick shower, after a hot day of walking on campus, before checking out. I would highly recommend this property and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to help mitigate train noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you posting your comments on Trip Advisor for other future guests to read. We have a lot of guests who stay with us because we are right in the heart of the USC campus and it makes it very convenient to all of USC and Downtown locations. Thank you for your wonderful feedback and I am so glad that the city sounds did not disrupt your stay. I am very sorry that our garage is tight but wanted to mention that we have a third level on the top that is open air and the spaces are more spacious than those in the garage. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Lafayette, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights for business on the USC campus. You could walk to campus, but considering the hot weather, I was glad I had a rental car. Hotel was very nice. There were renovations going on but I never was disturbed by them in my room, most likely because I gone throughout the day. I was given a king suite, which I did not ask for, but was a pleasant surprise. Bathroom was very small, but up-to-date. Comfortable bed. Parking garage is very tight, larger vehicles will have a problem getting in and out of spaces. The front desk staff was very helpful and very nice. This is a great place and I will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Todd A
Thank you for your feedback regarding your 4 night stay with us while traveling to Columbia, SC. We are happy to see there were a number of things that you were pleased with. We certainly appreciate the positive feedback on the service provided by our staff. I am also pleased to hear that you were not disturbed by our renovation that we are currently undergoing. We look forward to having a finished product in the early fall! Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. We look forward to serving you again soon!!

Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

In my opinion, this hotel is the best place to stay when in the downtown Columbia area or visiting USC. Staff are very friendly and professional. Lobby is clean and pretty, and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. I originally chose this hotel to stay in because there is no parking fee which is rare for a downtown locale. This is my "go to" place when visiting the Columbia area!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I was thrilled to read that you think our hotel is the best place to stay in Downtown Columbia. I am excited to share your comments with our team. They will love that you recognized their professionalism and friendliness. The housekeeping staff will also enjoy your comments regarding the property's cleanliness as they take great pride in providing each guest with perfect room accommodations.

We are so glad we are your "go to" place while visiting Columbia. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again very soon.

Warmest Regards,