“On the way back”

Ranked #18 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
“On the way back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Property is in a great location and is being remodeled. Staff is magnificent and going out of the way to help during the remodel. Bathrooms are a little small but overall it is going to be a good place to stay. Free shuttle to area restaurants is nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Bilyana F, Guest Care Manager, Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Greetings Stan S.,
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear your comments on our customer service and ongoing upgrades to the property. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Waynesboro, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I am a hot natured person. Most hotels I go to, I find that the air conditioner will not turn down as low as I would like and the beds come with down comforters on them even in the summer. So I was very happy when we walked into our room and it was set at 56 degrees! Compared to the 98 degrees it was outside, it felt amazing. Hotel itself is in great proximity to the campus, other historical landmarks and about 2 miles from the football stadium. It was undergoing renovations at the time but it was still a nice hotel and the changes will only make it better. I would go back to that place if ever in the area again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I enjoyed reading your comments about our property. I am very pleased to hear your AC unit was cooling properly. I am also pleased to hear that you thought our location was great by being right on campus and near the downtown historical landmarks.

I am excited to report that we are only a few weeks away from our debut of a finished renovation with a new Bistro, Starbucks, and many more upgraded features. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Downtown at USC and we hope to see you again.

Kindest Regards,

Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel under upgrade renovation and cosmetic improvements. Great staff all around, Terry handled some minor problems quickly and efficiently. Good location, garage parking a little tight but manageable. Clean room, comfortable beds fairly quiet considering busy street. Room of average size although somewhat on the small size. Refrigerator, no microwave.

Room Tip: 3 rd floor rooms front have a noise buffer barrier.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review of our property on TripAdvisor. I enjoyed reading your comments, especially when you stated that our staff was great all around. I have forwarded your great comments to Terry as I am very pleased to hear that she was able to resolve your minor problems quickly and efficiently. I also look forward to sharing your comments with housekeeping. Thank you again for your review as we greatly appreciate it. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Glen Rock, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Perfect for visiting USC. I agree with previous writers that there is some street noise and an occasional train whistle. However, being able to walk to all parts of USC makes this a good place to stay. The A/C unit is very loud and the lobby is currently under construction. However, the pool is nice and no crowd in July. I will stay again on my next trip if the Marriott Hotel is too pricey.

Room Tip: More noise on the road side then the pool side.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that you found our location to be very convenient to all of USC. I am also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our pool as it is open most of the year! We are anticipating the arrival of our new pool furniture very soon and cannot wait to show you the newly renovated area later this fall. As for the lobby and rooms renovation, we are only a few weeks from being done! We are very excited to debut the new Bistro as your next stay at Courtyard will be Superb! I am very sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the surrounding city noises such as street noise and trains. Please let us know during your next stay and we will do our best to place you on an upper floor, pool side. This will help eliminate some of those city sounds. I truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope you will give us another chance soon. Please reach out to me directly and I will ensure you have an exceptional visit.

Kindest Regards,
Acushnet, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel and very well located on the USC campus. Location is ideal and facility is very nice. The room I had was extremely loud though and traffic noise and a TRAIN WHISTLE was a problem all night long. If I was staying another night I would have had the AC unit on all night as this may have drowned out the outside noise.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found our location to be ideal and our hotel to be very nice. We are super excited about the NEW STAY with renovations coming to an end in just a few short weeks. Our hotel will be able to provide evening dining in our Bistro, cocktails at our bar, and a wonderful array of options for breakfast. I am very sorry that the train was a disturbance through the night. You are correct. We often suggest our guest to put the HVAC unit on auto fan or auto air so that it acts as a sound machine to buffer the city sounds. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to getting the chance to serve you again soon.

Warmest Regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying I never complain and have never posted a review of a hotel before. We have stayed at many Courtyards over the year and this one definitely falls at bottom of the list.

First Hotel is under Renovations at current time. This was not a huge bother but things are definitely out of sort from what you would normally expect. I also expect Marriott to let me know this when I reserved the room.

Next our room was not up to standards. Filled out guest review cards were still in room from previous guest. The biggest problem was the shower. It was scalding or ice cold. There was no in between. We all had to take cold showers.

Third, our room was noisy. The AC unit when on sounded like a plane was landing. Out neighbor could be heard through the connecting door having a midnight jam session listening to music. The refrigerator also had a terrible whine to it when the compressor was kicked on. My biggest complaint though was the overall sound prodding of the room. We could hear people in the hall as if they were standing in our doorway. Our room was on the 6th floor and faced Assembly St so we heard the cars on the street below. I can live with a average street noise but we heard everything. I am no hotel designer but there has to be a way to fix this through thicker glass or other material. The drag racing motorcycles, the 4 emergency vehicle sirens, and the 5 train horns during our stay were a little much and they go on all night.

We went to the front desk to check out so I could let them know about problems. When I did so the clerk was friendly and asked detailed questions which he wrote down on a sheet labeled problems. The list was quite long already before ours were added. He then said as compensation he would give us extra Marriott points. I wasn't looking for a free room but a discount or free breakfasts would have gone along way from me being a unhappy guest.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Chris G
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate you choosing our Courtyard for your accommodation needs; although I am very sorry that you found our property to be noisy and that renovation was an issue. I am happy to report that renovations are coming to an end and our finished product will be revealed in just a few short weeks. Please know that I will address the mechanical issues, such as the AC and refrigerator, with our engineering staff, and commit to showing you a great experience upon your next visit. I would love to address your issues personally and ensure that I take appropriate measures to restore your confidence in our hotel. I welcome your correspondence. You can reach me at (803)799-7800. Again, my team and I are very sorry. I wish you the best.

Kindest Regards, Holly Penny
Stratford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel. It is currently undergoing a renovation so when completed it will be better. The room we had was renovated. It was comfortable, clean and the beds and bedding were new. The bathroom was clean but still small and not really up to date.The staff were great and even though the hotel was in some state of reno turmoil with workers and painters doing their thing... it was an OK place to stay.
If you need to stay downtown this will serve your needs at an affordable price. But don`t expect the Ritz. Not much around this hotel to get a nice evening meal. You would need to drive or cab it.
Convenience is the theme of this hotel if going to University events.

Room Tip: In busy season get one overlooking the pool... ( rear of the hotel) as the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I look forward to sharing your wonderful feedback regarding our team. I am sorry that you did not experience our hotel at its best. I am pleased to inform you that the majority of the renovation is complete. We are all thrilled to be able to offer you a New Stay in just a few short weeks! I wish you safe and exciting travels. We hope to get the chance to serve you again soon!

Warm Regards,