“Easy place to layover off the interstate”

Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC
Ranked #51 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
“Easy place to layover off the interstate”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stay overnight on my trip to the zoo. The hotel is right off the exit next to many eatery. My check in was fast even though I booked at the other redroof and end up here by accident and was too sleepy to drive to the other one. Room was clean, and on second floor, not noisy. We felt safe and comfortable. Checkout was easy and fast. Overall a nice stay for under 60 dollars

• Stayed February 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 24 December 2011

They must have upgraded the hotel since the earlier reviews were written. Decor is a bit retro, but everything worked, was clean, and so forth. Free fast wi-fi and a good desk and chair were provided, much more comfortable than many other higher-rated hotels. Very good value for the price and also very quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed here in July 2011. We reserved the rooms online and were devestated when we arrived. Most of the motel was rented out to mexican workers. It was so bad, that men were "cat calling" at us when we were unloading our car. The front desk area is on lock down after 9 pm complete with an armed security guard and bullet proof glass window. I had to get change to get a soda and the attendant gave me money through a steel siding door. No coffee makers in the rooms. Beds were horrible and had coils sticking out the sides.

We had traveled over 7 hours to get here and it was late, we felt we had no choice as we had children and needed to get them to bed. Please don't stay here, it is unsafe and that is not my opionion, that is how the hotel owners also feel if there is an armed security guard and bullet proof glass on the premises.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank crm4
Matt S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
I apologize for the experience you had at our Inn in July. We strive to offer a nice place at a nice price and we work very hard to ensure all of our guests have a positive experience while staying at our inn. We do have process and procedures in place to ensure the comfort and safety of our guests and we hope to present them as a comfort and not a distraction to your experience. We take all feedback very seriously and I will make sure we are inspecting each bed and room to ensure the best experience for our guests. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to see that.

Matt Schwenker | General Manager
New York, NY
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I thought that I would give Red Roof another opportunity to prove themselves, but this room is disgustingly run down and dirty. I travel with my dog and I hoped to have a better experience than I did at a Red Roof in VA a few months back, but this hotel was equally ad bad. From the smell to the mold to the peeling wallpaper and torn carpet, the entire experience was horrible. I needed a quick overnight stay just to sleep for a few hours before getting back on the road, but I was afraid to take a shower in the dirty bathroom. The only bright spot was the friendly receptionist, Jason. But I recommend that you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011
Ridgeland, SC
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The room was clean and quiet. Definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The hotel was by the interstate in the middle of Columbia. There is free coffee and a newspaper in the morning. The rooms were old-looking but were clean enough. If you face away from the interstate it is quiet enough to get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Checked in and found the tv on in the room, condoms on the nightstand, ice still in the ice bucket, shower used, towels used and the room just generally dirty beyond all that. We went back to the desk and were given another room and apologies. The second room was more disgusting than the first. The lights didn't work, it was smoking (we reserved a non-smoking), chairs were old, stained and mismatched. There was a terrible dark brown large splatter stain on the wall. Don't know what it was. The room was filthy in general. We called to complain and were told it was the last room available. So we left. We were staying on a "free night certificate" from their rewards program and I did demand and receive that back. As we left, we noticed a police woman walking around and a very interesting clientel arriving.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple