“My Usual Spot”

Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson
Ranked #55 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 27 December 2012

This place is a good place for me to stay during my trips to the area. It's in a location that's near the interstate, places to eat, and places I frequent when in town. I primarily stay here due to the price and loyalty program benefits. I usually book a Superior King size room cause I like the added room and size of the bed, and it's a good price. Staff is usually pretty nice and eager to help with any issues. One thing I don't like is having to use a check in window after dark, especially now since it gets dark much sooner. But I do understand its a safety thing. They do have armed security that patrols the grounds and area is nicely lit, however I do not recommend staying on the back side of the 2nd building. It's very "shady" on that side. I usually request a 2nd floor room on the front of either building. It's a good, "no frills", place to stay when I'm traveling alone. If I'm traveling with my GF, we usually stay a nicer "more expensive" places....she's very prissy.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor on from side of either building
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Wesley R
dpmanager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. The staff works extremely hard every day to make our guests feel Confident, Significant, and Delighted. I will make sure to inform the entire staff of your kind comments. Thank you very much for your continued patronage and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dan Packard

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Upon reading the reviews, I thought my family and I would give the Red Roof Inn a try, as the pictures looked like it was fairly nice establishment, and we only need a one night stay on our way to Disney from Ohio. Once we arrived we were greeted by a VERY friendly receptionist, who gave us our room information and happily answered the questions we had. We drove to our room, only to pass by several "questionable" characters in the area- once was driving a Bentley-which is rather strange considering this was a $40/night hotel-motel. I would not have felt safe if it were just my husband and I; however, considering my two children were also with us we had to leave for peace of mind. I went back to the friendly receptionist and without any problem she refunded our monies-cancelled our upcoming reservation and apologized for the inconveniences. For only $20 more and five minutes away-we stayed at the Hyatt Place. We felt safe, the room was twice as big, and we felt safe in lovely neighborhood. With that said- if you have a family and you want to feel safe- DO NOT STAY HERE. If you're a truck driver and you need a one night stop-use your own discretion; however, I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank vivi411
dpmanager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your safety concerns. A hotel's primary concern is the safety and security of each guest. I want you to know that we employ security personnel each evening at our inn just to be proactive. I was pleased to read that our staff member on duty was friendly and attentive to your needs.

I apologize to you and your family for not being able to satisfy your lodging needs while in our area. However, thank you very much for considering Red Roof Inn Columbia East, and would ask that you try us again when in Columbia, SC.

Regards,
Dan Packard

Reviewed 29 November 2012

I took my wife to the zoo again. This is a great place for us. The thermostat in our room was broken so they quickly gave us another room. No complaints. Very speedy checkout. We can recommend this place. Often see police hanging out here ... no problems seen. Lizard's thicket next door was great. We forgot that we could have gone to the see the Lights at the Zoo when we arrived. Will have to remember for next year.

Room Tip: We use the handicap room because they have handles for getting in and out of tub.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
dpmanager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Mr. Albright,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review! I certainly am glad to hear that the small problem was fixed very quicky and the new room more than satisfied you. The staff is always excited to see you and your wife each visit, and we certainly look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your wife!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here for one night, found the staff friendly and helpful. Room was clean with no odors. Restaurants nearby. No frills hotel but clean. good southern restaurant next door, Easy access to I 20 and I 77.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
dpmanager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you very much for the wonderful comments based on your recent stay. I will make certain I share your comments with the entire staff. We work very hard each day to ensure we provide the best value in our industry, and to ensure we make each guest feel Confident, Significant, and Delighted.

I look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in our town.

Daniel Packard, GM

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Door won't shut, no towels just wash clothes, bathroom outlet don't work for daughters hair dryer and curling iron, heater knob fell off when turned up heat, bugs all over bathroom and dresser, lobby has no supplies such as toothpaste or razors, drugees in the back, wow! I chose it because a stayed a red roof inn in Tuson Arizona for my sons baseball tourney that was wonderful, whatta difference. Lots of hotels just across the street, stay there.

Matt

• Stayed: November 2012
dpmanager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Thank you very much for your review. However, I am terribly sorry to hear of all the issues you encountered during your stay. Feedback from our guests is critical so that we can identify areas of opportunity, then work as a team to correct them for our future guests.

I certainly hope you continue to think of Red Roof Inns for your travel needs. Also, I would appreciate the chance to welcome you back to this hotel the next time you are travelling in this area.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stopped at the Red Roof on our way back from Philly. The guy working at the front desk was really nice and was great at his job. Got to our room, it looked like it had be hit by a natural disaster at some point. There appeared to be water damage of some sort, holes in the ceiling, peeling paint, black mold and smelled worst then it looked. Left to get something to eat came back and decided that we would rather drive somewhere else at 10pm than to stay in this room. My husband went and talked to the nice guy working at the desk, and was informed that you only have 15 minutes to decide you don't want to say and not get charged. He did move us upstairs to a different room, it was slightly better (and we didn't have any other options at that point) I went to walgreens and bought Lysol spray, perfumes and a candle. I didn't take my socks off because of the mystery stains on the floor. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, so bad that I woke up in tears at 4am and packed my stuff and got back on the road. I have to wonder how the health department doesn't shut places like this down. I will never stop at another red roof, and I'm surprised by the positive feedback below my comment.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the picture.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cherie S
dpmanager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia East - Ft Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Cherie,

Thank you very much for your review. However, I am terribly sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Because feedback from our guests is critical, could you please contact me to discuss the specific issues you raised while visiting our property? I certainly want to address these with you, plus it is very important we correct any deficiencies before another guest experiences the same issues.

Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit, and I hope to speak with you about your specific stay very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

I travel every weekend for business and I always try to keeps costs down. The staff were great, and very professional.I expected the rooms to be run down, because usually for what I pay, well...they are. These rooms appeared to be newly redone. My room had a nice king bed, and a desk coming out of the wall facing the tv. The ac was quiet and the walls were thick enough to keep the noise from the adjacent rooms out. I cant give it a perfect because there is no free breakfast, and there were some sketchy customers hanging out in the parking lot that night. Aside from that, I feel its one of the best deals in Columbia.

Room Tip: Stay on the same side as the office.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Columbia East-Ft. Jackson. We are always delighted to read wonderful reviews from very satisfied guests. Every team member is integral in the success this hotel achieves. I will make certain they are informed of these comments.

Again, thank you for your wonderful review and we sincerely look forward to serving you again in the near future.