“Beware”

Ranked #56 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hotel snob and usually stay at a full service business hotel like a Hyatt or Marriott but was in town for USC Parent's Weekend and this was the only option available. At first it seemed like it would be okay - the grounds are well kept and the staff is friendly. It used to be a Marriott Residence Inn and in fact I stayed there a few years ago when it had that flag. But upon closer inspection this facility has some issues. There was a trash can on the grounds outside my room that was full on the first day of my visit - by the third day it was overflowing and trash was all around it, but it never got emptied while I was there. Also, the shower head was disconnected and sitting on the side of the tub when I went to take a shower and it couldn't be fixed until late afternoon because the maintenance staff didn't work in the morning so I ended up taking a shower with the water just coming out of the pipe, like someone was holding a hose over my head! Why this wasn't addressed before the room was given to me I can't understand - the cleaner either didn't report it to management or management didn't bother to address it - or worse, there was no cleaner - horrifying thought. And speaking of cleaning they don't clean the room every day - only every other day, which they don't tell you when you book, only when you check in. It was freezing in the room and they only had one thin blanket on the bed. When I called for some extra blankets they said they didn't have any and recommended turning the air conditioning down. Also, it's a suite hotel and supposed to have dishes, etc. but had only one plate, one wineglass (no drinking glasses) and two coffee cups - definitely substandard. Finally, when I left they wouldn't give me an itemized reciept for the room because they said I didn't book it directly through them. Not even a list of extra charges, which I normally like to check before I leave the property. All in all, not a good experience.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Klgma
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
First, thank you for taking to time provide valueable feedback regarding your stay with us. We as a hotel address these issues with each department involved to ensure that each guest is personally taken care above expectation. It is quite obvious that we did not meet your expectation. It is our job to ensure you have a memborable experience and not a miserable one. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Please don't hesitate to give me call directly. Thank you for choosing my hotel for your lodging needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Room was dated, had mold in bath and carpet was wet in many places. Lots of permanent residents wandering the grounds and parking areas all night conducting various "transactions". Breakfast not very good, no wireless internet, available wired was unreliable. Price too high for what you get. In other words, avoid.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank deckhandoug
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide valueable feedback. I have read the comments mentioned to my staff and we are taking the appropiate steps to not have another guest encounter the same experience you had. Please contact me as soon as possible. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to address these issues personally.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I picked this place because of its close proximity to the zoo and because we have a 1 year old and I needed all the amenities of home. The room was relatively clean but the furniture was very outdated, beds were very very hard! Had old tv's but there was one in the bedroom and living room areas. Limited cookware and stove was old and burned the food even though it wasn't even cooked thoroughly! Pool was very very small and had to deal with a bunch of teenage boys making sexual comments to some of the teenage girls at the pool in front of my daughter. We didn't sleep well not one night! We stayed in the PRIVACY penthouse. Yeah right ! Someone chose to have a party both nights we were there with loud music and tons of people. Had to call the front desk twice to report this. Eventually the music was turned down but the loud partying continued well into 4 am along with fighting and arguing! The walls were paper thin so you could hear everything. Next time I will pay more to stay at the homework suites by Hilton. The only good thing is it was less than 1 mile from the zoo. Nothing else is close by, none of the pizza places would even deliver to that part of town!!!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Lexmarkc
, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide my staff and me, with valuable feedback. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying at my hotel. I would love the opportunity to make this right for you. Please feel free to give me a call. Thank you, Sharon Stroman.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed one night here. The receptionist was very nice and professional. I was a bit scattered after a long day, and went back to the desk at least 3 times to ask questions and she was very helpful and friendly.

The room was clean and quiet, with a full kitchen and a living room area. It's too bad we were only there for one night! We enjoyed a hot breakfast the next morning. They had scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, waffles, grits, bagels, cold cereal, juice, coffee.

The location was excellent, as the purpose of our trip was to visit the Riverbanks Zoo and the hotel was very close. We got our room for $91, tax included.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

While the rooms are OK in size the maintenance is not good. It needs renovations. Meager pillows towels, toiletries, kitchen utensils etc... The walls are paper thin and you can hear people in the room next to you and above you. There were people coming and going at all times during the night. It was very difficult to get a good night sleep. Two nights, out of three night there were parties next to us. We have to call several times for the security to show.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

It is a very good stay especially for the price. It’s basically a hotel/apartment where you have full kitchen, stove, fridge and freezer, desk space, and plenty of room in the living space and the bathroom. They also provided dishware, glasses, and silverware. The beds were very comfy and I slept very well. Although, the room had had its share of wear and tear over the years, as the door was falling apart, one of the lights was broken, and the room itself just needed some attention. The staff was very friendly and it was a very clean place. They also have coin-operated washing machines, a pool, basketball court, hot tub, and their full breakfast is very tasty.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

We were there for 6 weeks. The staff made it feel like home away from home. The place was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. It's located in a prime location. It was easy to get around because they had direction cards to and from pretty much any place you need to go. My kitty, had a great time looking out the balcony and watching the birds. The pool area was clean and safe. It was a great place stay and I highly recommend Affordable Suites to everyone. Come be where comfort is their middle name.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank heartofadancer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbia
Staybridge Suites Columbia
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest
Home Towne Suites - Columbia
Quality Inn West Columbia
Quality Inn West Columbia
#6 of 10 in West Columbia
Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!