“Bumblebees, Yellow jackets and Wasps, OH MY!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Suburban Extended Stay Hotel

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Ranked #57 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
“Bumblebees, Yellow jackets and Wasps, OH MY!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

This place was booked by an employer as temporary housing for a traveling nurse. They informed us we'd be staying in a town house type unit. Upon checking in we found it to be a studio/efficiency apartment.

The "full kitchen" included place settings for ONE. Areas of the floor (under new carpet) were spongy and obviously rotted. The old-fashioned TV seemed to work OK. There are no screens on the doors/windows so we had to keep the doors closed at all times to keep the local bugs (see title) outside, leading to a closed up odor.

We decided to go sit by the pool, only to find it was locked. The desk person told us that the pool was closed till May. The "Spa Tub" advertised on the website and shown in pictures, has been bricked over and a patio set placed on it.

Earlier reviews state there is no wi-fi. I'm pleased to report that there is free wi-fi, at least, in building 7. However, it is unsecured, so it may just be a scammer looking to log your keystrokes. Please do use it for anything sensitive like banking, shopping, etc.

It seems that building 9 burned to the ground at some point recently, it has a condemned sign hanging on it. There are several open sewer drains on the property that could easily swallow a small dog or a child, so, keep them leashed at all times.

Now the positives, staff is very friendly and the shower has tons of hot water and good pressure. Room is pretty clean and the A/C works great.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
My staff and I thank you for your valueable feedback. We do take the time and review all comments so that we may provide great customer service. I apologize for the delay in my response. Since your comment was posted we have opened our pool
and repaired the drain.

We appreciate your time and business!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Affordable Suites in Columbia, SC is the perfect location for visiting the River Banks Zoo and central Columbia. The rooms do show years of wear and tear, but each time we have stayed, the rooms have been very clean. The rooms are designed as apartments of varying sizes. The studio apartment is what we prefer for an affordable, prime location for visiting family members.

My biggest complaint is that the kitchen equipment/supplies have been descimated. We consider ourselves lucky if we have 2 coffee cups and 2 wine glasses. On our most recent visit, we had only 1 dinner plate. Paper towels and bathroom supplies are provided, although sometimes must be asked for.

Pets are allowed, so our "kids" get to go with us to see "grandmama." We have never had a pet odor in any of the apartments. All-in-all, a good place to stay--clean, location, comfortable, secure, but needs a little help in updates and kitchen equipment. Complimentary breakfast is fair. Monday thru Thursday happy hour is a nice treat--not a meal, but a good start.

Room Tip: For a quieter stay, request a second floor apartment. Pet rooms are conveniently located throughout...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
First, thank you for choosing our hotel as your home away home. A complete inventory list for each suite would remedy our shortage of serving utensils. I appreciate your comments.

We look forward to serving you in the near future.
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I read many reviews of this hotel, good and bad, before deciding to stay here. I am so pleased to report that my experience lined up with the best reviews. Our room was immaculate, spacious, and comfortable (at least to our zoo-weary bodies). Every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful, and I am a stickler for good service. The location couldn't have been better: we were within minutes of the zoo & State Museum, our destinations in the city, and the hotel was very easy to find.
The only problem we had was when an exposed spring on the couch gave my son a nasty scratch on his arm. The employee at the front desk apologized profusely and immediately made a note to fix it, so I have confidence it won't happen again.
I'll be staying here again next year when the State Museum opens its planetarium!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hotel snob and usually stay at a full service business hotel like a Hyatt or Marriott but was in town for USC Parent's Weekend and this was the only option available. At first it seemed like it would be okay - the grounds are well kept and the staff is friendly. It used to be a Marriott Residence Inn and in fact I stayed there a few years ago when it had that flag. But upon closer inspection this facility has some issues. There was a trash can on the grounds outside my room that was full on the first day of my visit - by the third day it was overflowing and trash was all around it, but it never got emptied while I was there. Also, the shower head was disconnected and sitting on the side of the tub when I went to take a shower and it couldn't be fixed until late afternoon because the maintenance staff didn't work in the morning so I ended up taking a shower with the water just coming out of the pipe, like someone was holding a hose over my head! Why this wasn't addressed before the room was given to me I can't understand - the cleaner either didn't report it to management or management didn't bother to address it - or worse, there was no cleaner - horrifying thought. And speaking of cleaning they don't clean the room every day - only every other day, which they don't tell you when you book, only when you check in. It was freezing in the room and they only had one thin blanket on the bed. When I called for some extra blankets they said they didn't have any and recommended turning the air conditioning down. Also, it's a suite hotel and supposed to have dishes, etc. but had only one plate, one wineglass (no drinking glasses) and two coffee cups - definitely substandard. Finally, when I left they wouldn't give me an itemized reciept for the room because they said I didn't book it directly through them. Not even a list of extra charges, which I normally like to check before I leave the property. All in all, not a good experience.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Klgma
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
First, thank you for taking to time provide valueable feedback regarding your stay with us. We as a hotel address these issues with each department involved to ensure that each guest is personally taken care above expectation. It is quite obvious that we did not meet your expectation. It is our job to ensure you have a memborable experience and not a miserable one. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Please don't hesitate to give me call directly. Thank you for choosing my hotel for your lodging needs.

Travellers are raving about these Columbia hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Room was dated, had mold in bath and carpet was wet in many places. Lots of permanent residents wandering the grounds and parking areas all night conducting various "transactions". Breakfast not very good, no wireless internet, available wired was unreliable. Price too high for what you get. In other words, avoid.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank deckhandoug
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide valueable feedback. I have read the comments mentioned to my staff and we are taking the appropiate steps to not have another guest encounter the same experience you had. Please contact me as soon as possible. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to address these issues personally.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I picked this place because of its close proximity to the zoo and because we have a 1 year old and I needed all the amenities of home. The room was relatively clean but the furniture was very outdated, beds were very very hard! Had old tv's but there was one in the bedroom and living room areas. Limited cookware and stove was old and burned the food even though it wasn't even cooked thoroughly! Pool was very very small and had to deal with a bunch of teenage boys making sexual comments to some of the teenage girls at the pool in front of my daughter. We didn't sleep well not one night! We stayed in the PRIVACY penthouse. Yeah right ! Someone chose to have a party both nights we were there with loud music and tons of people. Had to call the front desk twice to report this. Eventually the music was turned down but the loud partying continued well into 4 am along with fighting and arguing! The walls were paper thin so you could hear everything. Next time I will pay more to stay at the homework suites by Hilton. The only good thing is it was less than 1 mile from the zoo. Nothing else is close by, none of the pizza places would even deliver to that part of town!!!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lexmarkc
, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide my staff and me, with valuable feedback. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying at my hotel. I would love the opportunity to make this right for you. Please feel free to give me a call. Thank you, Sharon Stroman.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed one night here. The receptionist was very nice and professional. I was a bit scattered after a long day, and went back to the desk at least 3 times to ask questions and she was very helpful and friendly.

The room was clean and quiet, with a full kitchen and a living room area. It's too bad we were only there for one night! We enjoyed a hot breakfast the next morning. They had scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, waffles, grits, bagels, cold cereal, juice, coffee.

The location was excellent, as the purpose of our trip was to visit the Riverbanks Zoo and the hotel was very close. We got our room for $91, tax included.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family