“Good choice for extended stay”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Ranked #56 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My spouse and I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. From Jan 20 until Jan 27 2014. Upon arrival the desk clerk did not greet us with a smile, bit she was businesslike. After I smiled and asked about the hotel first she loosened up and became more friendly. The layout is quad apartment motel with all entrances from the outside. 4 rooms upstairs and 4 down stairs. 4 on one side and 4 and the other. Note parking is on one side of the buildings so you may have to walk around. The furniture is older but in good condition. The kitchen is scantily equipped. No dish soap, and plates, bowls, and silverware don't match. One pot, one pan, two cooking spoons. Full size fridge, and microwave.There is coffee and tea in the rooms. Our coffee pot was missing . After two calls to the desk we were brought one. Our housekeeper did not speak English. BYO towels. When we arrived there was a set up of two sets of towels, the hotel is short so when changing them out, either we were not given a whole set or it was brought later. The bed sheet had a small blue stain on it. The bathroom curtain had a dirt mark from where the door rubbed up against it. I liked the huge bathroom mirror. King size bed and two closets. The living room is comfortable. The fireplace is for show only. There is a desk for doing work in the living room. The dining table is a desk with outlets with only space for two. There is no hotel welcome guide in the room. There is no safe in room. I left my laptop out daily without incidents. We were in building 10. Building 9 burnt down and has been demolished. The area of building 9 is a rocky open space that looks horrible. Hopefully the management will clear it and make a small park or something. Our building was the last for renovations and the workers were there at 8am until dark. They were not quiet, but by the time you read this the renovations should be complete. The tennis court/ basketball court is located next to the pool. And breakfast is served in the main building next to the pool. Breakfast was DIY waffles, pastries, bananas, two choices of cold cereal, coffee, tea, milk and juice. We ate there three times. It was just ok. Free daily newspaper at the coffee stand. There is no evening reception as stated on some literature. The train and highway traffic can be barely heard when it goes by. Overall it is a good place to stay if you need long term on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jencw991
There are newer reviews for Suburban Extended Stay Hotel

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was a little nervous about booking at this hotel because some of the older reviews were not very good. But seeing the more current reviews seemed promising because of the renovations. I really hope we had a room that had not been renovated. Something was splattered all over the bathroom door and trim and the cracks in grout and caulk were really bad around the tub area. It was really gross. The bed was not comfortable and you could stand in front of it and see the dip in the middle. The worst part about the room was the smell. For being a non-smoking room, it smelled like someone smoked a whole pack right before we walked in. I was really hoping to discover a "go-to" place for football weekends but I will need to be assured that every room has been renovated.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bjen4326
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for your review. First, I want to apologize for the suite that you received at check in. I have spoken with my suite attendants on the importance reporting any maintenance issues as well as reporting any odors that are in the guest suites. This will ensure that suite is 100% problem free when a guest enters the suite. I hope that you will give our hotel another opportunity to make things right. Please don't hesitate to call and we will ensure that your suite is up to par upon arrival.

Respectfully submitted,

Sharon Stroman

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was looking for a place to stay for a 9 day business trip. I found this place online and decided to book a room based on others reviews. When I arrived I ask to see a room and after I checked I decided to stay. I really enjoyed having the space in the living room area to relax and the kitchen to prepare my meals in. I never heard a sound at night and the bed was comfortable. The room was clean and I really do not have any complaints. The staff was nice and friendly and the breakfast was good. The next time I come back to Columbia I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I know this is a previous brand, so was hesitant because I am sure it is older. Was this place a pleasant surprise. Clean and well cared for!. We were traveling with an elderly lady and the downstairs room with a queen bed and private bathroom was the perfect thing. Price was perfect also. The bed was wonderful, including the pillows...a multitude of pillows. I noticed they are painting outside, almost finished. But the grounds were immaculate and well cared for fauna. the pool was tiny but tucked in an appropriate area. Breakfast was good, lots of choices! We were in from the highway a good bit, but this put it in a very quiet setting. Staff was helpful and kind. I have no complaints. Our traveler was over whelmed with her part of the room as she lives simply and this room was as big as her previous home. :) I am glad she also was satisfied with our choice. Keep up the good work. 1 flat screen and a couple of fat older TVs for each bedroom, no problem they work just like a flat screen. Besides I wasn't there to watch TV. I wish I would have had more time. Could have easily stayed longer.

Room Tip: great breakfast provided free
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The whole reason I got this room was because there was a fireplace advertised. Well there is one, but it's only for decoration and doesn't actually work. I called the front desk and they said they're sealed off. Great. Everything else is pretty clean and ok, but false advertising was a big negative for me.

• Stayed: October 2013
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to offer feedback. Your comments are very important to us. I want to sincerely apologize for the lack of information provided on our website. I hope that if you visit the Columbia area again that you would give our hotel another chance to provide you with a memorable experience.

Respectfully Submitted,

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Very pleasant staff, great customer service, and very accomodating to what we needed in our stay. Beds were extremely comfortable and the suites had plenty of room for two adults and two children. The full kitchen made it easy on our budget as well as the full hot breakfast served every morning. The rooms were clean. No mildew smell... however there was a smoke smell almost constant in our room. When I said something near check out they offered an ozone air cleaner, so I only wished I had said something sooner. I will look for this same company in future travels.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this room on Hotwire. I read other reviews and almost did not want to stay. Since we were going to the zoo it was the perfect location. I went to check in and Krystal checked me in and she was very nice. I got to the room and didn't like the location and went back to the desk and Krystal changed it. The room was nice and clean but can use some major updating. The furniture is worn with markings, curtains have stains, the carpet could use a deep shampoo because just walking in my socks the bottoms were black. There was a huge black stain in the tub. The kitchen needs to have an inventory done. One wine glass and one regular glass. The cookware on the stove looked like it was not cleaned it was all greasy looking. I work at a four diamond property and know that things happen and things get overlooked. I feel that this hotel has potential but a lot of tlc is needed. At check out Stacie was very nice as well. When in the area I wouldn't mind staying again because it is a great location. The breakfast was nice as well.

• Stayed: August 2013
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

First I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am excited to mention that our hotel is in the process of going through major renovations. We are painting the exterior and interior, replacing carpet, adding flat screen televisions and replacing furniture. I hope that when you are in the Columbia area again that you will give our hotel another chance serve you and your family.

We appreciate your business!