“"Disappointed"”

Ranked #24 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“"Disappointed"”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

For a Double Tree/HIlton Hotel, I was disappointed in my stay here. I came here with my husband for 2 nights while we had business to attend to. At first it was ok, we checked in and received complimentary cookies. The room was a good size however I found that a couch cushion was backwards where the zipper was showing along with a reese cup wrapper on the floor. While these are little things it does make me question how well the rooms are kept up with. The following morning we ordered room service for breakfast, after an hour of waiting we called the front desk to see if maybe it was forgotten. The manager brought it up to us right away, however we noticed we were missing two sides of home fries and the two sides of toast that came with the order. I called the front desk to find out it was left in the oven. Eventually they did bring the rest of the order up and when I opened one of the jars of jelly it had mold growing in it...which I did save to show someone when we went to check out. When we arrived back at the hotel later in the evening we noticed there was a fairly large cockroach on the wall. My husband went to kill it and then found out it flies and I once again called the front desk. They sent up maintenance and in the middle of trying to kill this bug it had landed on my pillow and sheets to eventually land on the floor where the maintenance man stepped on it. I was just disgusted by the whole thing, however when going to check out I spoke with a manager about how we were not entirely happy about our stay and he was very nice and discounted our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MPR_GM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Mb2dgrillo,
I am so sorry to hear that your stay was not a comfortable one. I sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience during your stay at our hotel. Your feedback is incredibly important to us as we ensure the comfort and safety of all of our guests. Your comments will also help to ensure that our future guests do not experience the same discomforts. We will be following up with our team and you to ensure these issues are corrected. If you have a moment, I would like to follow up. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Matt Ricker - General Manager, Doubletree Columbia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
South Carolina
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was staying for a conference, and had a rocky start as I was given the wrong directions to the room and had a slight problem with my room. Within 15 minutes, the problem was taken care of and I was offered another room, which turned out to be a 2 room suite. I thought that the management went way above what I would have expected for a very minor problem, and I appreciate that. It makes me more likely to stay there again. They give you a warm cookie when you check in and it was really good.
I really liked the bedding. It was very clean (all white with white duvet). There were loads of pillows. The sheets were very comfy. The bathroom was nice.
The conference center was nice. The food was good. I would stay here again.

Dear Hcross888,
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I just stayed there for a business trip and enjoyed my stay. Room was nice, conference areas were nice. The only issue I had was I had ordered breakfast for the next morning. The breakfast was suppose to be delivered between 8-8:15am. At 8:35am, there was no breakfast and I needed to get downstairs for the 2nd day of my conference which started at 9am. I called room service and they stated that the room service was "on their way". I told them to go ahead and cancel it because I needed to get going. They said they would but no I'm sorry for the lateness, I'm sorry for your inconvenience, nothing! I was disappointed in the customer service!

Dear Sandy565,
We certainly care about our guests and take great pride in offering quick, efficient, and friendly service. We apologize for our delay and understand your disappointment. This is certainly not the norm. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to correct this issue, moving forward, and we hope we can invite you back for the full service experience you deserve.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had a King Suite. It was very spacious and my wife and I enjoyed it very much. There were two TV's in the room which was nice. Cable reception was very good. Banquet rooms were very nice and the food was great. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MPR_GM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
We are delighted to learn that your stay was an enjoyable one. It is always our goal to make sure we provide each and every guest with a memorable guest experience.
I would like to assure you that our team is dedicated to making sure our guests enjoy their stay and after all that is what hospitality is all about. We certainly hope to see you back with us on your next trip and appreciate your feedback.
Matt Ricker - General Manager, Doubletree Columbia
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel is in the middle of highways so you need a car to get around places. For walking a cvs, gas station and a few restaurants are nearby (crossing the way by foot can be dangerous at night but doable).

The hotel is very nice from the front facade to the actual rooms. The lobby is very nice and welcoming with couches and sitting areas (thank you!!) hotel bar is great and two computers right off the lobby. The fitness center is bigger than most smaller hotels. The outdoor pool is nice but small.

The rooms are spacious and with very comfortable bed. The rooms have a half wall that separates the sink area to the bedroom. Tub and toilet and confined into one small area which is decided with an actual wall.

I was comfortable and the staff was very friendly from the moment that we checked in until we left.

• Stayed October 2013
MPR_GM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear CecibelB,
Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate your comments about our staff and our property. I will be sure to pass your kudos along to the team. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Doubletree Columbia. We look forward to hosting you again when you visit Columbia in the future.
Edgefield SC, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The room I stayed in neede alot of repair. The light on ceiling was hanging half off. The upper walls above TV needed cleaning or repainted. Wall in bathroom as you enter needed wall paper replaced. TV had to be serviced befor I coud use it. My last stay was great with a nice clean room---dont know how I ended up with this room. Besides that your employees are great!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MPR_GM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Alan P,
We strive to offer the best service experience for our guests and I regret to hear that you encountered some cleanliness and maintenance issues. Your comfort is our concern and we will be sure to address your comments with our team. If there is anything else we can do for you in the future, certainly let us know. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we can invite you back to our changes.
Union, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The overall experience was good. Love the rooms...and enjoyed the conference. The noise from another group next door did make it hard to hear what was going on in our conference room though. Not enough buffers to keep the noise down. Had 4 chicken strips and an order of sweet potato fries for lunch one day and it was $12!! Really - if I'd had time, I could have gotten the same thing at a fast food restaurant for a 1/3 of the price.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MPR_GM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Cindy F,
I would like to thank you for choosing the Doubletree Hotel Columbia, and for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor! We appreciate your comments, as we use all guest feedback to continuously improve moving forward. I have shared your comments with our team. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests and we look forward to your next visit!