“Disappointed”

Ranked #32 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Watch Hill, Rhode Island
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stopped here on our way home to Florida... We were told we had the last room.... The situation of the hotel location was confusing, you drive through another hotels parking lots to get to this hotel .. Older building, alot of activity that evening .. .. room was small, vanity was very small had no room for make-up bags or med . bag... .. we needed to refrigerate my husband's insulin and refrigerator was not cold .. I called down stairs , they sent up a woman who didn't communicate well, couldn't offer much solution to our insulin problem needing to be refrigerated.. I asked if she had a small back up one , she offered nothing , I than asked if she had one downstairs in they Office .. she offered no solution to that inquiry .. She than pointed to a plug and said that was the problem .. That plug turned out to be the TV 's plug!! She kept saying it feels cold to me she said ... Several hours after we went out for dinner we called down again and said this refrigerator is still not cold THAN the Night clerk said bring the insulin down here to our kitchen .. Wow ! I told the clerk the woman they sent up offered us nothing . My husband was determined to find out why it was working...He spent the rest of the evening hunting down the problem ... He pulled out the furniture that blocked the plug where the Refrigerator was REALLY plugged into .. He finally found that the Refrig. plug needed some help , (which he fixed) Finally it started to cool ... We also I went to a La Quinta, because in the past La Quinta has good quality comfortable mattresses.. Having had spinal surgery I need a comfortable mattress ... The mattress was horrible!!! poor quality, compared to my last two La Quinta's I stayed at in GA and Maryland. The light bulb was out as you enter the room.. Being up in years we noticed other things about this hotel that they need better maintenance .. As you age, we find it it is hard to see as clearly, The buttons on the inside of elevators were worn off couldn't read what floor you were going to ...I appreciate that hotels let folks bring our pets ... but the grounds around this hotel had broken beer bottles and I quickly had to pull my dog away from stepping on one out back of the hotel, on the ribbon edge of lawn this hotel has . When we were checking out the next morning I did call down to alert the hotel that we would be checking out and my husband would be down to pick up his insulin bag.. I mentioned the maintenance issue... When I did physically go down to turn in the key card, I said to the desk clerk in the lobby that I think this hotel needed some maintenance.. not knowing if it was the same clerk that answered the phone before.. this clerk told me" I only needed to say it once" !!! So I can not give this hotel a high rating ....La Quinta should review this property ...

Room Tip: Can't recommend hotel..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hudson, FL, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013

As usual, I stop at the desk to see if the rooms have a fridge in which I can store my insulin. The desk person assures me they do. Upon entering, we were pleased with the cleanness of the room. Everything's seems to be in order. One negative thing, the refrigerator's freezer needed to be defrosted - it was caked with a couple inches of ice. That shouldn't matter, unless, like me, you have an ice pack you want to freeze. As it was, we did manage to fit a smaller ice pack in there. Overall, we were pleased with accommodations and considered ourselves lucky to have picked this La Quinta from the several hotels at this exit. One other thing, hotels tell you if a room is smoking or nonsmoking but they don't tell you if it's a room pets have been in. Not so hot if you're allergic to pet dander or hair.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Monroe, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2013

After driving for 14 hours with 3 dogs, we finally got there! The rooms were very clean and had no odors. The staff especially the front desk were great. Breakfast was pretty good, loved the waffles. Overall it was a great experience and i will def stay at a La Quinta chain again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

The front desk staff were all really friendly, especially Wolf. He was super nice, always had a smile on his face and told us some great things to do around the area.

If you have the pleasure of meeting him, ask him about his interesting war stories!

As far as the rooms go... They weren't bad. They're clean and no tacky sheets or anything involved! The beds are so comfy, I wanted to bring it home with me! The bathrooms were pretty small and not the most appealing but I've seen worse. I stayed in the deluxe 2 queen beds room as well as the King sized "suite" and it pretty much looked the same just more roomier but same exact bathroom setup.

The pool was small too and always filled with kids so I didn't get a chance to enjoy it. The breakfast is what's expected, Im just always grateful when affordable hotels offer free meals!

One thing that was kind of annoying was the day of checkout, we did get a late start to packing up. We had a do not disturb sign and a couple times they knocked and then opened the door even though we said "we're not quite done packing, almost done though" and still had 20 minutes. Someone knocked the third time and said "it's time to checkout, checkout is at 11." I looked at my phone and it was literally 11:02. It was so silly.

Overall, this hotel is really well priced, clean, and for the most part the staff is really nice. Great place to stay if you're there for a graduation at fort jackson as well.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Proatrips
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My fiancée and I spent the night as a part of a little road trip we were taking. The rate for the night's stay was pretty reasonable, barely coming in over $100 including taxes, which in my eyes is pretty good. The reasonable rate aside, the primary reason I picked this La Quinta over any of the rival local hotels was the absence of any pet fee. We were traveling with our dogs and not needing to pay for our pets to spend the night is very attractive. The internet was free and pretty quick, parking free and abundant, and the location was very convenient for travelers as it was just off the highway and near a bunch of restaurants and gas stations. The hotel is also just about a 10 minute drive from USC if you are staying in Columbia to visit the campus. That being said, it's certainly not on campus, or in the area that the students frequent, so if you want to get a feel for that area, you may want to consider staying elsewhere.

The room was a nice size, the bed was comfortable, and the appliances in the room were pretty new (new TV, modern fridge and microwave). The room was relatively clean, though the carpet did show some stains and the room could have benefited from a more detailed dusting. Still, I did not feel like I was staying in a dirty room, so my advice would be to keep your socks on if such things bother you. My fiancée would suggest I include that the hotel uses the small, square shaped pillows that are very popular in hotels, and she does not care for pillows like that.

All in all, if you are traveling and need a reasonably priced place to stay the night, especially if you are traveling with pets, then this is a good place to pick for the night. If you don't like staying in a hotel that allows pets, don't stay here as there were a good number of dogs staying at the hotel when we were there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gournal3311
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Very comfortable and homely stay. Conveniently located and is pet friendly. Nice breakfast and I got to enjoy the pool every evening after I was done from my work. I stayed there for 5 nights and my stay was very peaceful and nice. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business