“Stay away, someone on the inside is running a gammet on the people staying”

La Quinta Inn Columbia SE / Fort Jackson
Ranked #32 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Stay away, someone on the inside is running a gammet on the people staying”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

To make a long story short my husband and our 3 young daughters were staying in the La Qunita at Garner Ferry Rd along with 8 other family members and thier children. We were celebrating the Graduation of our nephew at Fort Jackson. We chked in 4:30 and was robbed by 8:30. Whoever it was knew when we were and were not in the rooms. The manager a.k.a owner never showed until 2:30 next daya dn we kept being told that all floors had cameras so we wd know who and how they got in....just so happened the floor we were on was the only floor the cameras were not working on. They knew exactly where to go for our wallets and only stole credit cards. they left valuables and ran up over $10,000 in charges at Lowes and gas stations buying welders, tile cutter and gift cards. the next day someone else was robbed of thier Cadailitic Converter cut clean off thier truck in the parking lot-just so happened the one place that there are no cameras. Several other issues happened and not once wd the owner/manager speak to the police. The front desk was laughing and told my minor daughter to shut her mouth and mind her own business and telling other people checking in that we were crazy! You bet we were! Other people staying in the hotel saw the guys we suspected as part of teh scam and said they felt they were tailed as well. We absolutely believe this cd not hv taken place if it were not an inside job. It wd hv been impossible other wise.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank GemGen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We were victims of theft (over $5000.00 in less than a hour on the credit cards). The theft occurred in two rooms while we were at the pool. Later, we find out the surveillance cameras did not work. No management is available to help with the investigation. No service or help to try to resolve. Two days later another person was victimized. Hours of frustration and sleepless nights. We were there for the US Army Basic Training Graduation.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Hawaii
Reviewed 18 February 2010

When I got my bill after staying here with family, I discovered a $250 fine for smoking in the room. None of us smoked in the rooms!!

I am fighting the charge, but the establishment has not contacted me.

I am wondering if anyone else who stayed here has had this problem?

Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
myrtle beach
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This hotel has just been remodeled. Everything is new and clean. You can't beat the room for the price. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and the breakfast was as good as any other standard continental - waffle maker, assorted bread and bagels for toaster - cereal, etc. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
NC
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed here because we could not find another hotel that would accept dogs.It was late,and we were tired.I will say it was clean and well furnished,but they were stingy with the shampoo and soap etc.At 93 dollars a night,it was over priced,but they did accept pets ,and employees were friendly and helpful.I think they are remodeling the place,and that might explain the mess around the building.We were on the fourth floor and everything looked really new and nice.The biggest drawback for us is that it is totally smoke free.We probably won't return because of that.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sabrinaNc
massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I was going to try and email this dump to let them know just how awful our stay was but then after reading other reviews on it, i just figured, why bother. How are they still in business? My husband and I stayed there overnight and we couldn't get out fast enough in the morning. The first thing we saw when we entered was the toilet seat that was left up and a big "rust" stain in the toilet! The place smelled terrible and the furniture wouldn't have sold at a yard sale! Would never go back to a LaQuinta again! The only bright spot was the nice lady in the breakfast room. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlieMassachusetts
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 December 2008

I stayed here for two nights. I suppose it is adequate but not the best: The property seems to be deteriorating somewhat...there are some broken tiles in the bathroom, etc. They had free wi-fi but I had a difficult time finding a place to plug in my laptop. Once I did, the wi-fi worked beautifully. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly although once I received something at the front desk and they did not contact me at all to let me know there was something waiting for me. The sender had to ask me about it and I went downstairs and got it, but what if the sender had not told me to go and check for it? Neither the room nor the hotel has a safe of any kind. The area the hotel is located in is not the best either...but I think this is more of an aesthetic preference. It is located on a busy commercial street with an array of establishments on either side, and the multiple curb cuts and signs of varying styles give the area a disordered aesthetic but I'm not sure if it's a dangerous area or not. The breakfast wasn't bad and the breakfast room attendant was very pleasant. Overall, the hotel is very convenient to the Interstate.

• Liked — Location near Interstate
  • Disliked — Condition of hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)