“Disturbing Policy For Charging A Room” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Conway
Combine
“Disturbing Policy For Charging A Room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed one night at the Econo Lodge of Conway, SC. I had booked a room and held it with my credit card as I have done many times in the past for multiple other hotels/motels. No other hotel/motel has EVER run my credit card a full 24 hours before I even arrived at the motel - yet, when I checked my bank, the charge was there as a pending transaction a full 24 hours prior to me even arriving at the hotel. So, I called the motel directly and was told they always run the credit card to find out if it is good or not. So, first of all, they knew the card was a good one before I even arrived. So, here's the kicker - once I arrived to check in, I was informed they wanted a copy of my credit card and a copy of my ID; they didn't just want to check it, they wanted a hard copy of each one. NEVER have I had any other hotel/motel do this - check it, yes, but, not copy it to keep it. They had already run my credit card, why did they need a copy of my credit card and a copy of my ID? The answer is - they don't. This gave me a bad feeling and I refused to give permission for my credit card to be copied -- to sit around somewhere for someone to pick up and use again. Since this is their standard policy, we will NOT be staying here again. Buyer beware - hang on to your credit cards and ID's and refuse to provide a copy, because, once they've already run it, they don't need to have a copy of anything else. The credit card and all your information they could possible need is in their system.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Annod45
hotelman_53, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for you feedback. Let me assure you that your credit card was only authorized for your first night stay 24 hours before your arrival as per our reservation policy. As it was explained when you made your reservation there is a 24 hour cancel policy. The authorized amount for the first night stay is the room charge for the first night. This is to secure the room for you and hold it for your arrival until 7 A.M. the day after arrival.
Upon check in your card is authorized for you entire stay.. If it is debit card it is charged for your entire stay. This is all standard banking policy. I spoke with all the other hotels in the area and they do the same.
As for your I.D.Yes we do ask for your I.D.. Does it not make you fell better that we check the I.D. of the guest checking in and make sure it matches that of the credit card holder? It's for your safety as well as our. Getting a copy of that credit card assure us that yes it was you who checked in and not someone else using your card.
I am sorry if you felt the way you did but it seems to me like we are taking the steps needed to prevent credit card fraud..
When you checked in you told me that all the other hotels you ever stayed at do not do this. I offered to cxl your reservation at no charge so you could go to the brand hotel that does not have this policy but you declined. what else could I have possibly done ?
Once again let me assure you that we take Credit Card fraud seriously and that we do all that we can to protect our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Marble, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Upon arrival in the early evening hours speaking with Steve the desk attendant he immediately made us feel welcomed. When opening the door to our room we noticed how cleaned it appeared. Bed very comfortable which after a day's travel felt very good. At check out the next morning I spoke with the owner, Reba, and she was very polite and made you feel like family and wanting to come to stay again. We travel frequently and the personal touch given to us by the staff was most welcomed!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelman_53, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your review. I will pass all the info on to the staff here.It will make them feel so good and specail. Please let me know if i can ever help you with your future traveling needs.
Death Valley Junction, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

The clown working behind the counter was an absolute jerk. He was very rude to my wife and children. I honestly thought about going by there and beating him senseless. As matter a fact another family I know canceled their reservation because of this clown. He cost them 8 nights worth of rooms. And I hope this review cost them more. Save yourselves the pain and skip by them and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mike H
hotelman_53, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your comments. If you can clairify the person you dealt with I would like to find out from him what happened ? I am sorry for your experience and will work on this matter.
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

There were no negatives for this hotel. From the friendly and helpful front desk staff to the very clean,well equiped room, I could not have been happier. Although it's on Hwy 501, it's set far enough back that there is no loud traffic noise. One last perk to mention-it's competitively priced.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room, so I don't know about the others.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelman_53, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on your stay here at the Econolodge of Conway. We were truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the Econolodge. We strive to make every experince a positive one for our guests and thank you again for you review. Lets us know if we could help you with your future traveling needs.
Strasburg, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We started looking for a hotel in Charleston and everything was booked throughout the area due to the bridge run, tennis tourney, and several festivals. We started driving north and couldn't find anything... finally, by 4:30 in the morning we found this place and I begged them to make an exception about pets, promised I would keep the dogs crated, and only requested a few hours' sleep... when the front desk clerk saw how exhausted we were, she called the owner who granted permission. So, how do you criticize kindness?!?!?? These ladies were SO kind, but the hotel itself was a nightmare (considering the price of $75). We tried to turn on the heat when we got to the room and sparks flew out everywhere... the room was outdated, old, musty, smelly and stained... we didn't want the bedspreads to touch us so we were left with thin sheets and a cold room... we couldn't even charge our cell phones because the outlets were in such bad shape they jiggled when you touched them and the charges would not stay in (they were loose from the walls). Even the towels had a mildew smell. We are grateful for the kindness shown to us and hate to complain, but we definitely would not stay here again. We simply did not feel safe. I could not reach the smoke alarm to test it, but I could not see a light blinking on it either... we had to get a chair to turn the heat on... it did come on despite the sparks, but it never heated the room and I was afraid to go to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for your comment about your recent stay. Although I do sympatize with your experience you did not stay here at the Econolodge of Conway. You had stayed at the Conway Inn and Suites directly across from our hotel. Although I know this might be confusing they are two separate hotels on the same property. On the night you checked in we were full here at the Econolodge but the building next door still had rooms. I know you checked in here as the office in the Conway Inn and Suites was closed. Our Guest Service agent was really concerned about you so she called the owner of the Conway Inn to see if she could rent a room for you.
We here at the Econolodge have a strong no pet policy. While I can truly understand the concerns you had at the Conway Inn the guest service agent was just trying to help you out. I will speak with all the agents here and make sure that we do not rent out any more rooms for the Conway Inn when their office is closed. I hope you undersatnd and keep us The Econolodge in mind with your future tarveling needs. Our rooms ahve been recently renovated and we would appericate the chance to serve you in the future.
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Overall, the room I had (single king suite) was large and faced away from the road, so it was quiet. The place could use some updating, but was clean as it could be. I had just driven roughly 11 hours and really was hoping for a comfortable bed. Unfortunately, it was one of the hardest beds I've ever slept on. The bed frame squeaked when I shifted on the bed trying to get comfortable. Kind of a disappointment. They advertise having large flat panel tv's but that must have been in a different room. The decor and styling was what I was expecting for a place in this price range, but they need some new beds... At least in the room I had.

• Stayed April 2013
hotelman_53, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank your for your recent stay with us. We take all our comments seriously and would like to inform you that yours comments were indeed helpful to us.
I am pleased to inform you that your concerns have been dealt with. We had installed a new Flat Screen HDTV in the room, along with a matress and box spring. As for the room we are in the process of updating our entire motel. We have been a family owned motel here for many years and take pride in our rooms. We hope to be able to provide a clean,comfortable room to each and every one of our guest. We have updated our breakfast and are above the standards that Choice requires us to have. As for service we hope you enjoyed our Southern Hospitality.
I look forward to be able to help you with your lodging needs in the future if you are ever in our area. Please call me and I will personaly take care of your needs. Or just feel free to stop and say HEY !! I
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

Was in town for a Wedding, booked the room 2 days prior as I didn't want to have to drive back and forth from Conway for the rehearsal and wedding. Check in was a breeze, the clerk was very friendly, gave me extremely specific directions to the Peanut Warehouse where the wedding was to be held. I'd have been hopelessly lost without his directions, the GPS in my phone couldn't find it. Had a single room with a double bed, size was decent, had a table and a couple chairs, microwave and cold fridge, and a nice flatscreen TV with a good selection of channels. I was in a smoking room, but I'm a smoker so not a big deal. The bed was very comfortable, shower had hot water. Plenty of parking on site. Checked out 30 minutes late, wasn't an issue, the lady at the desk was very friendly and was genuinely happy I enjoyed my stay.

Room was very clean, could have used more electrical outlets though, I had to unplug the bed light to plug in my phone.

Location can't be beat, minus trying to turn out onto 501. 3 minutes from downtown Conway and the river, plenty of places to eat nearby.

I'd be more than happy to stay again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
hotelman_53, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank you for your recent comments.It was our pleasure to have you here at our motel. I hope the wedding that you were here for went well. It's guest like you that make my job enjoyable.
Please feel free to stop by if you are ever in our area. I would like to Thank you for your stay personaly.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conway
Sleep Inn & Suites
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
#2 of 207 in Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,632 reviews

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!