“Great course”

Melrose Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18-hole Jack Nicklaus-designed signature course hugs the Atlantic coastline, providing magnificent views and challenging plays for golfers at all skill levels.
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Beautiful golf course, well worth the ferry trip. It is very flat so is easily walkable. Also has a great restaurant and pool. Beach side.

There are newer reviews for Melrose Golf Course

Reviewed 9 May 2013

You take a boat to the islland to play this course. Thats we're the adventure begins. You are greeted and transported by the private surbanban from the course and they will answer any questions you have about the island. Although not the best course we played during our trip, definately one of the most memorable. The island is somewhat rustic although the views from the last three holes exquisite. A must do during your trip to hilton head.

2  Thank seah0rse_29
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Like a middleweight champion down on his luck awaiting money and management Melrose has talent, class and a few rough patches. The Nicklaus design offers some fun choices, great vistas of low country marsh and beach, and 3 great ocean views as you finish your round. Some of the rough spots are endearing. Dave is the welcoming host who does what ever he can for you noting the closed club house, the lack of food and a few course maintenance issues. Of course the biggest maintenance issue involves a missing 18th green. Half the green has fallen into the ocean. This dramatic view, a geomorphologist's dream, means you have to hole out on the temporary green. How many times have you ever gotten do that?

So if you want to play a great course almost by yourself, enjoy wonderful hospitality, see what happens to a course when the money goes away, and see a beautiful part of the low country hop the ferry and get out there!

3  Thank Rinjisherpa
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My brother and his daughter were visiting from NYC for the week, and he wanted to play three rounds of Golf and go for the first round of the RBC Heritage tournament during his stay. Having played at Melrose a few years ago with another visitor I thought it would make a nice day trip, including the boat ride, that his 12 year old daughter could participate in even though she does not play. While the total tab(water Taxi from Salty Fare+ golf=$123) is a bit more expensive than the typical round of golf on HHI these days, the entire experience is well worth it. The comfortable boat got is to the Daufauskie Island dock in about a half hour (half the time of the old ferry), where Tony from the Melrose club met us at the dock and drove us to the course in their very well used van. Once there they checked us in, gave us two carts so my neice could ride along with her dad in comfort, and showed us the practice area (driving range, chipping/sand area, putting green) told us to stay as long as we wanted and to tee off on 1 when we were ready, since there were only two groups out on the course and a twosome would start sometime behind us.
We played a very leisurely pace taking time to take in all the wildlife we observed and just enjoying the tranquility. By the time we got to the 9th hole the twosome playing behind us was finally in sight, and we decided to pull up to the front of the lagoon in front of the clubhouse (closed) and eat the lunch we packed letting them play through. They recommend you bring a cooler with you since they have very limited items for sale. We finished on those wonderful holes on the back nine with the 15th approaching the ocean, and the 16th - 18th running along the oceanfront, and overlooking the south end of HHI. Just fantastic. When you finish 18 look in the tops of the large pine trees and see the very large occupied eagles nest, as you drive back to the clubhouse. Tony took is back to the dock to meet the water taxi for our ride back to HHI. My brother thought it was the most relaxing round of golf he has ever played, quite a contrast from the NYC area, and his daughter was entertained the whole time by taking in the uniqueness of the Island, and its many animals along the way. If you were worried about the course condition due to the shaky situation regarding the overall resort, don't be, it was in great shape and Jack's design is a real challenge. In case you didn't figure it out I had a great time as well, and will be sure to bring my golf playing guests here again in the future.

8  Thank TravelinMan048
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Let me start by saying WOW..... This was my 3rd trip to Hilton Head and I have played most every course on the island. After doing some research I found Melrose and decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did. First off the greens fees for 75$ and the water taxi was 42$. Once the boat Docks the Pro Tony will pick you up in a Van and take you to the course about 2 miles away. Once there you check in to the Make ship pro shop(you feel like you have went back in time to the 60's). We played 18 holes saw 4 people and NEVER saw or heard a car or anything! Driving range was in good shape and the range balls looked less than a year old. As far as the course goes it was in GREAT condition when you take into account it just opened up in May of this year. Greens were slow but true and the fairways for very plush! Layout is one of the best in the area holes 15-18 are worth 130$ just for the golf!!!! Hole 18 reminds me of Pebble Beach for an 1/8 of the price! Guys if you get a chance to play this course please do so ASAP.. They are working on a 200K budget and I don't know if it will make it another year and I would want everyone to play golf the way it should be done! I'll post pics shortly

3  Thank ca225