“Amazing...but play here soon or...”

Melrose Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: This 18-hole Jack Nicklaus-designed signature course hugs the Atlantic coastline, providing magnificent views and challenging plays for golfers at all skill levels.
boston, ma
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Amazing...but play here soon or...”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

17 and 18 might be in the ocean! It seems the work on repairing the seawall along the last three holes has stopped due to cash flow problems of the latest investment group, as has work on the inn, tennis facility and some of the cottages...but I digress, this review is just about the golf course.

I played two rounds here and my other half played three. Daufuskie is a special place and playing Melrose is truly cool.The course is in good shape, plenty of dripping moss, deer, Fox squirrels and alligators to keep you distracted too. I needed the distractions as I took a lot of swings....not the courses fault or my clubs, unfortunately...

Also, there is also a great newly refurbished restaurant to have lunch or dinner at either before or after your round of golf. If you stay in one of the open cottages, of which there are several, you can also enjoy the pools...these are redone too and nice.

So, play here this year and maybe if the course can really make a comeback then funds will be available to fix that sea wall so Melrose can remain open for many years to come.

I know we will come down and play it again...soon!

4 Thank Done_with_shoveling

Savannah, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Melrose Golf course making a comeback”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I played Melrose today, May 13th, and was pleased with the course and new changes to the clubhouse and facilities. We arrived by boat and docked at their dock (which still needs repair), and we were picked up and driven by the pro to the pro shop where we checked in. The pro could not have been more cooperative and welcoming. Green fees with cart cost $50....exceptionally cheap. The course is in fine shape, with the exception of the 18th green which had been washed out some time in the past, but plans are to redo it this year. We played to a temporary green. The holes are interesting and some very scenic along the beach and water. An investor group is pouring lots of money into the facilities and by Sept, 2014, should be in great shape. The only drawback is access to Daufauskie Island is by boat only. It's a beautiful piece of property, not very busy, and quite enjoyable.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Gendelm1414
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Customer Service”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The golf course is beautiful. It is currently being renovated but has a lot of potential. 3 holes are along the water.

Also I lost my 3 wood and the pro-shop found the golf club and sent it to my house within a few weeks! Greatly appreciated the customer service!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Benjamin T
Pinehurst, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“The comeback kid!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This course is beautiful - the whole island is making a comeback - don't miss out! FABULOUS food at the Melrose Beach Club too!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Monica195
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Mostly an unvisited course”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Unlike the earlier reviews, I am not going to recommend you take a ferry to play the course. I'm going to recommend you take the ferry to be a guest at Melrose and play while you're here. Beach cottages are for rent (check places like VRBO) -- you'll need a golf cart not only to play the course, but to get around this fascinating island.

As long as you're here in the latter half of the week, you can take advantage of the Beach Club for lunch and/or dinner. You'll have a delightful meal in a gorgeous setting. Good food, great service, unbeatable views.

Can't say much about the course since I don't play -- however, I live here. My cottage backs to the course and I rarely see anyone playing. My cottage faces the ocean and the beach is almost always empty. This is a wonderful place to visit (and live)!

Visited November 2013