“About What You'd Expect”

Americas Best Value Inn - Dillon
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dillon
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Look, you check into a place based strictly on the price, you're going to get that level of hotel.

I was doing some hard northbound driving and just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I pulled off at Exit 193, just a few miles south of South of the Border, and got a cup of tea. Even after the tea I was still kind of groggy and so I flipped through one of those hotel coupon booklets that are so ubiquitous on I-95. My plan was to check in, crash for the night and continue home, so I wanted someplace nearby and inexpensive. This is where I landed.

With the coupon, incidentally, your savings is only about two dollars, so it's your call whether you want to break it out or not.

I took a single room with a king-size bed. The room also had a sofa in it that opens out to another bed. It actually had a bit of space to move around in. My room also had a small round table and two chairs. Rooms are appointed with micro-fridges (the combo unit where they're attached to each other) and your typical four-cup coffee maker. Glass sliding doors at the far end opened to a mostly-grass courtyard and a swimming pool. It's November as I write this, so the pool is empty. But if it's in operation during the warmer weather, it's probably quite a nice place to unwind after a drive.

My room was a combination of old and new: it had been painted recently enough that it didn't look bad, but there were also numerous spots of patch-and-repaint in the bathroom, presumably to replace a broken towel rack. Oddly, holes in the main room, which also appeared to be from moved fixtures, had NOT been repaired. Light switches were definitely on the old side but all the fixtures worked. The carpeting had a very old-style feel to it but was in good shape, with just a little wear in the typical places.

The bathroom was originally the split kind that had the sink outside and the toilet/tub inside, but that's been removed and the sink brought into the bathroom (or an extra sink outside was eliminated and replaced with a countertop). It's a little older but certainly adequate: the toilet has the industrial plumbing with the pipe-and-flush-valve setup rather than a tank, and the tub fixtures are clearly on the older side, but the toilet isn't especially noisy, considering, and everything is in good working order.

In the main room, the TV is still the older tube-style, but there are plenty of channels that are reasonably clear, and a guide available. Some of the channels on the guide turned out not to be available, but that's a minor quibble for me. The bed was comfortable and, even though I'm not exactly getting 400-thread-count sheets, what was on the bed was fine.

The hotel offers free wi-fi internet and it's quite fast; that was a pleasant little surprise. The bad news is that you're going to have a tough time finding an outlet. There's one in the bathroom, one over the used-to-be-a-vanity (so they're near the room entrance and sharing a wall), and only one for the entire rest of the room. There's a six-outlet wall adapter on it, and three of those spaces are taken up by the TV, microwave and refrigerator. And, in my room at least, they're behind the refrigerator. So in order to plug in my laptop for use, I had to move my table closer to the fridge.

Heat controls were pretty typical (low cool/high cool/low heat/high heat) and worked well in my room.

There are plenty of restaurants and gas stations in the immediate area within walking distance. Because I left very early, I didn't take advantage of the continental breakfast so I can't comment on that. There didn't appear to be a huge amount of space set aside for it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Claude C
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn - Dillon

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way from NY to FL. Picked it because it was cheap. (obviously it should be) Paid $40 - would have been furious if I had spent more as the place was run down and depressing. You get what you pay for though right? People were friendly and room was large. (that is the only good things to say). I read another review that also suggest to avoid Dillon altogether...I whole heartily agree! Very depressing and drab little town. This hotel fits right in.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank duetfam

Dear duetfam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you encountered during your stay. Please know that we have recently added new carpets, mattresses, and new sofas in our King singles. We hope that these new improvements will enhance the overall experience.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We checked in, the sliding glass doors did not lock had a flimsy aluminum rod to lock it....pulled back the dirty looking bedspread to reveal blood on the back side of bedspread. Sheets were so thin you could see through them and looked like they had been used before, carpets were dirty looking and the smell was awful. Needless to say we didn't stay, but checked right back out. Too many questionable looking "people" wandering around the area. Never again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Linda R

Dear Linda R,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. We appreciate your feedback. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations. Our hotel is routinely checked by the local police. If there were any issues, we would have investigated the matter and taken appropriate action. We hope that you stay at one of our Americas Best Value Inn's across the Country in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2011

The room brought to mind imagines of what a motel room along Route 66 would be like. It was a very large room with a king bed, full sofa, fridge, microwave and hairdryer. The motel does not have a staurant but is within walking distance of a Shoneys, Waffle House, Burger King and across the street from B&C Steakhouse (see my review). The continental breakfast was uninteresting.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank driftdiver1

Dear driftdiver1,

Thank you for sharing a traveler review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please know that we offer hot waffles, coffee, juice, cereal, milk, bread, pecan muffins. We feel that this is a good value for the price. We hope that you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Front desk clerk was pleasent and freindly. The room I had was at the far back side of the motel.. The room was very worn as for carpets and linens, wall paint and fixtures. The bedding had cigarette burns and was very worn. The sliding glass door lock did not work and you had an aluminum bar to secure the door with. There was not much activity as far as other guest it was quiet as far as people on a thursday night..... But.... the trains ran all during the night and wee hours of the am. and its also right beside I-95 and the big trucks roar all night too. Its almost impossible to sleep here. I would suggest you ask for a room on the side of the building facing town if you must stay here. I would suggest going elsewhere if you're given a room at the back side. The price was good at aprox 40 plus tax with a coupon. Thats about 20-30 dollars cheaper than the rest of the hotels on that strip. They did have free breakfast.with hot waffles.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank highmiles61
Management response:Responded 11 October 2011

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. We appreciate your business and certainly would like to have to stay with us again. We replaced the carpet in all our rooms and hallways in August. We also added micro/fridges to all rooms along with new A/C units and TV's.

Unfortunately there is not much we can do about the train and being close to I-95. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will come back and have a much better stay.

Management

Reviewed 2 April 2010

Large groups of sparkling wiggles in what seems to be an open air drug market in the back parking lot. Had to kill a black widow spider that was in the tub. Rooms are large & decently clean. Room did not have the microwave or fridge that was advertised. Freight train at 2am that seemed to last for 20 minutes continually blowing whistle and shook the room. Peeling wallpaper, mildewed and peeling caulk in the tub. No clock in room as well. Most ghetto hotel I have stayed in ever- but I guess you get what you pay for, it was only $35 for the night...

1  Thank Spoogemeister
Reviewed 18 March 2010

This was a horrible place. We actually went back to the desk immediately and received a refund. The parking lot was full of some really rough looking characters--the hallway was filthy and strange noices and loud laughter, music and shouting radiated from the rooms-the whole place had a bad odor. It was obvious there was some kind of partying going on. We felt very insecure from the time we left the car and especially so when we saw that our door lock to the room was broken. The room was large but dirty. We left as fast as we could and were so relieved to be away from there We found a wonderful hotel further up 95 (the Comfort Suites in Lumberton)--it did cost more but you get what you pay for!!! We learned that lesson the hard way.....

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank culpepergrammy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dillon
Quality Inn Dillon
Comfort Inn Lumberton
Comfort Inn Lumberton
#6 of 23 in Lumberton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florence I-95 @ Hwy 327

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Dillon? Share your experiences!