“Interesting learning opportunity” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edisto Beach State Park

Edisto Beach State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-oriented recreational area.
Aiken
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting learning opportunity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place was a pleasant surprise. They have displays and information related to SC marshland and estuaries. Focus on the ACE Basin (Ashpoo, Cumbahee, and Edisto Rivers). Fishing, hiking/walking trails, boat ramp to BigBay Creek. They have rocking chairs on a screened porch overlooking a natural area that was so relaxing. Learn about TED, turtles, fish, etc. Beautiful facility with a focus on green.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Kristine C

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Beach Camping Fun, Forest Camping Not So Much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Edisto Beach State Park is divided into two different sections. The cool side, by the beach, and the lame side, in the woods. If you like to read, maybe check out the forest side. If you like to party, head down to the beach.

Beach side consists of one of the best campgrounds I've ever been to. While you aren't camping directly on the beach, you are only about 50 yards away. The campsites are packed really close together, but it isn't so bad if you pick the right site. If you pick the wrong site...may hear some animal noises coming from the RV next to you.

The best way to camp here is with a tent, but there are tons of annoying RVs as well. Some of this people watch TV late at night and keep lights on at all hours. FYI, your RV is lame. Some of the RVs are worse than the Robin Williams movie...

The best part about "roughing it" here is that you can walk to a grocery store and restaurant. That means if you run out of anything you don't even need to get into a car. Although everything closes by 9. They also have really clean bathrooms and showers too.

For non campers there is a beach, some picnic tables, and an entry fee. Unless you are surf fishing or picnicking you probably would enjoy a daytrip to the forest side instead. At least there they have a few miles of bike/walk trails to check out that are fun to explore.

Overall this is a cool place to camp if you get a beach site, and maybe find a beach house if you can't. I just don't see how the forest side would be too cool.

1 Thank Chris C
Amanda, Ohio
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 237 helpful votes
“Hours just shells searching”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Momma and I just love it here. Since I'm in a wheelchair and can't walk the shoreline looking for shells this is the best place for me. I bring a blanket to sit on and just spend hours searching through all of the beautiful tiny and not so tiny sea shells.

3 Thank stacicooperhoffmann
Rochester,NY
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Meh....so-so.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

The last five years we've spent Easter at a different state park through the Southeast. I'm fairly unimpressed with the campground at Edisto Beach State Park. Let me start by saying I know it's not a 'SC State Park thing', as 2 years ago we camped at Hunting Island State Park which knocked our socks off. One of my all time fav's. We camped at the 'Lone Oak' section of the State Park which, by the way, isn't within walking distance to the other section of the park which contains the beach area. We were coming in late in the evening and I called ahead to ensure that our site (reserved for a 31' trailer) was available to back into in the dark. The woman on the phone was pleasant, but obviously uninformed regarding what is 'easy' to back into. Our site was extremely tight and I had to thread a needle between trees in the dark without clipping the vehicle parked across the street. In the morning both my neighbor across the street and the one next to me remarked that they had no idea how I got my trailer into the site because of the angle and the trees. I don't know how I did it, either. Lucky I suppose.

The good: Sites in this area are pretty private, water and electric is well placed, the bathroom (only one) was pretty central for this campground, was fairly bug free and brightly lit. A quick drive to the 'beach campground' and free entry put us on the beach in 5-7 minutes from our site. A 'Bi-Lo' store is close by for groceries (although they carry no camping supplies- I needed a new section of hose which couldn't be located in town) A dumpster was pretty close to get rid of garbage on a daily basis.

The bad: There was no camp store to speak of. A 15x10 shack for registrations, a few campground mugs and some ice cream. No supplies (matches, TP, milk, eggs, etc) The bathroom, although large, had a single working shower in the mens bathroom for the whole campground. (Two were out of service- although not marked). There were only two urinals which were the new style 'waterless' models. One of them was plugged up and stayed full of urine for more than a day. The bathrooms were not cleaned daily. The Lone Oak section of the campground isn't even close to walking distance to the other beach, which is a bit tough to make out on the campground map I studied online. At first glance the two sections of the park appear to be separated by a trail or park road and approx 1/2 mile. In reality it's a busy highway with no sidewalks and it's more like a mile or more from the actual sites. The aforementioned dumpster disappeared all of the sudden one day and was gone for almost 48 hours before it returned. The dump station was in a different location of the park and can't be accessed using a portable grey water tank, so you're stuck being stingy with your tanks. Not normally a huge deal to me, but I'd have liked to be able to shower in my trailer due to there being a daily line at the single working men's shower.

Now- If you're tenting or using a pop-up (yes...we used to do both) you may not have the same issues. The bathroom thing would have still annoyed me, but everything else might have been ok. Having to drive to the beach was annoying. Our family would have liked to have hiked over instead of loading into our truck.

There are several parks I'd do again, but this is not one of them.

1 Thank rhoke
Clemson, South Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“nice camp sites, beach front sites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

has lots of bike trails and parks for kids. is right there on the water, very clean, and breezy. wouldn't recommend for tent camping cause of the blowing sand, but RV camping is great

Visited May 2013