“Edisto Island, SC, United States, North America”
Review of Edisto Island

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
hermitage, tn, us, north america
2 helpful votes
“Edisto Island, SC, United States, North America”
Reviewed 22 February 2009

One of my favorite places on earth

1 Thank daytrippinrambler
New York, NY
10 helpful votes
“Favorite Vacation”
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I've been going to Edisto Island every year for the past 16 years. It's one of my favorite places to head to for a vacation. If you enjoy crabbing and fishing you will not be disapointed, you may need to get a little dirty in the creeks but if you get down there during low tide, you can catch dozens of huge blue claw crabs. The beaches are quiet and usually pretty empty. The sea food is all fresh and delicious. If you enjoy golf, the plantation course is a great course, very challenging. All in all, it's a great place to visit and i highly recommend it to anyone looking to get away.

1 Thank Beezer23
Chicago, Illinois
43 helpful votes
“Edisto is great for a laid-back vacation”
Reviewed 30 December 2008

If you want to truly relax and get away from it all, Edisto is your spot. Pronounced EDisto (as we quickly found out when we arrived), it's a quiet area, full of character and beauty and charm. Just a short drive from Charleston, we were smitten. We stayed with my brother and his wife at a time share called Egret's Pointe. Beautiful location, with a lagoon in your backyard and huge trees. Accommodations were very nice, in a gated community. Fresh seafood everywhere. My hubby and I went for a late morning walk and spotted crates of blue crabs that had just been brought in. We went later to the Dockside Inn and ate some! Just a great spot for reconnecting with each other and totally relaxing. Loved it.

UnitedStates
8 helpful votes
“Great with a few exceptions”
Reviewed 28 September 2008

This place was great with a few exceptions. There are no food chains, just family owned eating places. Also, do not swim when the water is choppy, I got stung by a jellyfish 20 feet from shore! Other than that GREAT, but boring, if you don't like Charleston, or the Ocean, probably not the place for you. The Ocean is awesome. There is no commercialization out there which is great! So try it, it is a good place.

South Carolina
42 helpful votes
“My Favorite Beach Spot”
Reviewed 25 January 2008

This is absolutely my favorite beach! It's so relaxing, slow paced and uncommercialized. There's no wild parties on the beach, Spring Breakers or cops running out on calls all night (think the opposite of Myrtle Beach). This is where you want to go to unwind, dig your toes in the sand and enjoy the sunshine and salt smell all day.

We used Prudential Capp-Lyons Realty to book our last stay. My inlaws have also used Atwood Realty. Those are your two best choices, unless you're lucky enough to know a generous friend who has a house at Edisto. There is also a big condo on one side of the island, Fairfield Ocean Ridge if you don't want a house to your own. If you have your own you can stop at the Piggly Wiggly and local fresh fish markets to prepare your own meals. Take a drive down a sandy dirt road to a small farm stand full of fresh vegetables. Pick up a homemade key lime pie at the stand on the main drag in for desert. Or enjoy one of Edisto's almost dozen restaurants, all of which are pretty good. Walk off your stuffed tummy and tour the local shops for souvenirs and TShirts. Bring your golf cart or rent a bike to slow down and tour around the island, from the long beach to the marshland.

Or do like I do - grab a book, big towel and sunblock and plant yourself in the sand for a few hours. Watch the shrimping boats drift by. If you're attentive enough you can even get a glimpse of dolphins rolling through the waves. Let the kids enjoy splashing around in the beautiful shore line, finding sand dollars and sea shells. Edisto is the ultimate family beach getaway. Safe, small and fun! Be sure to book your trip early - Edisto is semi-exclusive and highly desired. Rentals are snatched up as early as a year in advance.

1 Thank CottonLily

Been to Edisto Island? Share your experiences!