“Best Place to Stay When Taking the Pups!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Florence
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Place to Stay When Taking the Pups!”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We picked this particular hotel because they're totally dog friendly, and because we felt assured we'd have a nice room and a decent breakfast the next morning. We weren't disappointed at all...the guy's at the check-in counter were both friendly. Joey checked us in without a bit of hassle and made certain we knew when breakfast was served. We went up to the second floor and were greeted by all sorts of barking from various rooms, but when we got to our own room and closed the door, we never heard another bark the entire night. The room had two large comfy beds, very high ceilings, and a nice bathroom with plenty of counter space and a better than average shower.

Shoneys was within walking distance, and so we rushed over before closing to have some greasy good food! The staff there was very friendly and though they were cleaning up for the night, we didn't feel the least bit unwelcome.

Other things to note: The hotel was apparently recently purchased by La Quinta and has been totally renovated. There's plenty of room outside to walk the dogs, and there's a new grassy area built just for the dogs in the rear of the property. Other than the barking in the hallway, you'd never know there were so many dogs in the place that night...no smells, no puddles, no dirty paw prints in the hallways. Very nice and clean. I was driving a moving van with a car transporter (very big), but there was plenty of room to park it in the rear of the property. Sadly, breakfast was just OK compared to another La Quinta I visited last year (nothing to write home about), and after I paid $100, I would expect something a little nicer on the buffet.

Sure, there were other hotels with cheaper rates, but there are no pet fees when staying at La Quinta Inn & Suites, and certainly no hassles. If you're traveling with a dog or two, I'd recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Mention you have a dog before you arrive, and maybe you'll get a room close to one of the exits...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
amwin, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn & Suites Florence, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you so much for choosing La Quinta Inn and Suites of Florence. We are very pleased that your stay was enjoyable for all of your family members. Thank you so much for sharing your kind words with us and we greatly appreciate all of your feedback and can not thank you enough. If you are ever in our area again we do hope you will return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Philadelphia, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have now stayed at this hotel 2 times. Once at the end of December when it was still in the midst of major renovations, and gave it a second chance towards the end of February when the renovations appeared to be reaching completion. The hotel is in a very convenient location off of I-95. The lobby is neat and clean, the room in February clean and new as well. But overall, I did not have the usual nice La Quinta experience with which I have become accustomed. Starting with the front desk clerk who was either having a bad day, or is in need of customer service training.
I arrived at the hotel at around 5pm - no one else was waiting so I quickly got my room key and headed up to my room. After getting settled in, unpacking everything, putting my stuff in the freezer, setting up my computer etc for the evening, I went to adjust the air system only to find that it wasn't working. at all. So I called the front desk to report this problem, very politely I might add, and the response from the clerk was that "he would have to "change me out"", followed by the phone being hung up. No waiting for my reply. So I went downstairs (with my 2 dogs) and told him I was the one who's air system wasn't working and asked if he could also give me two bottles of water for my trouble since I now had to toss the dogs bottled water and start over in a new room. He told be that would be $1.50 per bottle. Oooo kkkkkk. I next suggested that I might be able to carry the bowl if the trade room was close by. So he gave me a room two doors down. He offered little to no conversation I might add. Just a quick and quiet "I'm sorry", which was not very convincing. So up I go to the room and try the key to the new room so I can make sure that the room is in good shape with a working air system before I start the job of moving everything. But this time, I can't open the door. The light on the lock turns green, but when I push the handle down (like the door on my first room) the door won't open. Down I go to the lobby... again. I report my latest finding to the clerk who quickly replies that I need to pull up hard on the handle and this should do it. (Interesting that there was no quick solution for the air not working in my first room so obviously this was/is a known problem.) Up to the room I go and pull up hard on the door and voila - the door opens, and the room is fine. Except that the fridge freezer was different and didn't have a nice sized freezer section like my first room, but it would do. So I moved everything over and returned the key to the first room. Again - all I got was a meek unconvincing "Sorry" from the clerk. No eye contact. For all of this up and down, I never encountered another guest at the front desk so his dry personality wasn't liklely caused by a mad rush at the door.

As for the room, I agree with another poster here that the thin blankets are not enough. Luckily I was in a room with two beds so I was able to take the thin blanket off of the second bed and layer it on top of the one I slept on. Please put a warmer blanket on the beds? It's more efficient then expecting people to crank up the heat in the room. I don't know many people who like to sleep in a warm room. Generally people prefer cool rooms with a blanket. Last - the pillow choices where all too hard. I ended up going down to my car and bringing up the pillow I was bringing along for use in the rental house I had just left.

The room was quiet and I did get a good nights sleep.

BTW - this is the first time I can remember writing such a lengthy review. I do hope things improve here because I plan to travel this route again.

Room Tip: Make sure the heat/AC system is working before you unpack your bags. And find out whether you need...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
amwin, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn & Suites Florence, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I can not begin to tell you just how sorry I am about the way you were treated. I understand after you check-in and unpack that it is a very big deal to have to move your room. We will definetly be working to imporove in all areas and I do hope that when you return you will give us another chance.
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I arrived at the hotel at around 5pm - no one else was waiting so I quickly got my room key and headed up to my room. After getting settled in, unpacking everything, putting my stuff in the freezer, setting up my computer etc for the evening, I went to adjust the air system only to find that it wasn't working. at all. So I called the front desk to report this problem, very politely I might add, and the response from the clerk was that "he would have to "change me out"", followed by the phone being hung up. No waiting for my reply. So I went downstairs (with my 2 dogs) and told him I was the one who's air system wasn't working and asked if he could also give me two bottles of water for my trouble since I now had to toss the dogs bottled water and start over in a new room. He told be that would be $1.50 per bottle. Oooo kkkkkk. I next suggested that I might be able to carry the bowl if the trade room was close by. So he gave me a room two doors down. he offered little to no conversation I might add. Just a quick and quiet "I'm sorry", which was not very convincing. So up I go to the room and try the key to the new room so I can make sure the room is in good shape with a working air system before I start the job of moving everything. This time, I can't open the door. The light turns green, but when I push the handle down (like the door on my first room) the door won't open. Down I go to the lobby... again. I report my latest finding to the clerk who quickly replies that I need to pull up hard on the handle and this should do it. (Interesting that there was no quick solution for the air not working in my first room so obviously this was/is a known problem.) Up to the room I go and voila - the door opens, and the room is fine. Except that the fridge freezer was different and didn't have a nice sized freezer section like my first room, but it would do. So I moved everything over and returned the key to the first room. again - all I got was a meek unconvincing "Sorry" from the clerk. No eye contact. For all of this up and done, I never encountered another guest at the front desk his dry personality wasn't be caused by a mad rush at the door.

The room was quiet and I did get a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure the heat/AC system is working before you unpack your bags.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stopped here on our way home from Florida. I've stayed at other hotels in Florence (most of which are pretty gross) so wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. We got the last room (king suite). The front desk clerk was pleasant, if a little harried. The room itself was clean, quiet and pretty spacious. Location is good as it's right off I-95 and there are numerous restaurants etc in the immediate vicinity, which is convenient.

The only weird thing (and normally I would say it's not the fault of the hotel but in this case I wonder) was that I had gone downstairs early in the morning to grab a diet coke and when I returned, there was someone sleeping/passed out in the hallway. I called the front desk and his response was "Already?" which I thought was kind of odd and I wondered if that happens on a fairly regular basis. Anyway, by the time I was done taking a shower, the man was gone.

Anyway, I'd stay here again and would recommend it. It's a little higher priced than most of the hotels in the area but then again, it's definitely better quality.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing La Quinta. I am very happy that you were comfortable in your room. I do apologize about the person sleeping in the hallway and we will keep a very close check on this to make sure it does not happen again. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we do hope you will return again and visit with us.
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stopped at this hotel on a road trip to south Florida. I've stayed at La Quinta hotels before without issues but this hotel needs some serious housecleaning. The carpets in the hallways were very dirty and the bathroom in our room was horrible. The rooms are spacious and breakfast was good, and with a better housekeeping plan this could be a nice place to stay. But, for me, the two essentials of a good hotel stay are comfortable beds and spotlessly clean bathrooms. This fell short in both those areas.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank BucketListXprt
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

So nice to now have a LQ property in Florence, SC. I have stayed in both the Days Inn and the Red Roof Inn on previous stays and I am happy to have another option. Will definitely stay again next time we are in Florence.

Even with a full house, mainly due to all of the utility workers staying last weekend, the place was very clean and very quiet.

I was a bit surprised that the bed had only a light blanket on them, compared to heavy comforter type bedding that I am used to at other LQ properties. But this is South Carolina and it was unusual weather for them.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank delber_12
Charlotte Harbor & the Gulf Islands, Florida
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Staff at check in were nice. The room was cleaned to an average standard. The carpet around the air conditioning unit in room 131 was wet, probably from a leak at the installation point, as there appeared to be attempts to repair it, and there was a lot off rain during my stay. I was traveling at night and wanted to sleep. Fat chance of that. The housekeeping staff was ridiculously loud, hooting, hollering, laughing, all in complete disregard for guests who may not be checking out at 7-8 am. Very obnoxious crew who needs supervision. Their behavior will keep me from returning. If you are checking out early, this hotel charges a fair price for what you get. I skipped the breakfast so cannot rate that. At the Days Inn Next door, I watched what appeared to be drug dealing going on. Request a room that has an odd number so you are not facing that hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an odd number so you are not facing the hotel next to it, I believe it was a Days...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I can not apologize enough that your experience was not up to the standards that you as our guest deserved. We have been working hard to improve in all areas and if you are ever in the area again we hope you will give us another chance.