“Depends on which room you get”

Florence Inns & Suites
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 8 July 2013

On a trip last week from southern Georgia to the eastern shores of Virginia, I'd tentatively planned to break my trip up with a stop in Florence, SC. Having not picked a hotel yet, I saw the signs advertising the HoJo and decided to pull off. I was given a non-smoking king room (room 105 or 108) which was fairly up-to-date. Other than some blown light bulbs, I was happy with the size of the room, the flatscreen tv and the digital thermostat on the AC unit. All was well. The billboard which prompted me to choose this hotel boated "deluxe breakfast". Deluxe breakfast consisted of coffee, 4 cereal choices, a tray of store-bought croissants, a tray of store-bought mini muffins and apples & bananas. Not exactly deluxe. My room rate of $58 + tax was great though. I spent Tuesday night, 7/2/13, in this room.

On the way back from Virginia Saturday, with my fiancee & son with me, I decided again that this HoJo would make for a suitable stop. Our weekend rate for a non-smoking double queen occupancy was higher, even with my fiancee's military discount ($62 + tax). This time we were assigned room 216. Room 216 was like stepping back into a bad 1980s hotel room. Not only was the room sweltering when we arrived at 10:30 at night, but the old clunky knob operated AC unit barely worked. I set it on it's coldest setting and an hour and a half later, we finally drifted off to dream with sweat pouring off us. This room didn't have a flat screen. The pillow cases were soiled. There was a dead roach on the vanity outside the bathroom door. Not good. The next morning we awoke to a room which had finally cooled off. With it being a weekend morning, I thought perhaps that breakfast would be a bit more deluxe. It wasn't. Exactly the same offerings as Wednesday morning. The creepers hanging around outside the hotel don't help either.

I would stay in this HoJo if I KNEW I'd be getting a room like #105 (or was it 108)...but I'll never stop there again for fear of getting room 216 or another similar. Stay clear of this establishment.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you room 216
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Adam O

Reviewed 9 June 2013

There are 2 Howard Johnsons in Florence, SC., this refers to the one at exit 157 on Rt 95.
The room was clean, comfortable and up to date. The staff were excellent. I have traveled often and stayed in rooms 1/2 as nice and paid twice as much. On our way out there were a few other doors open for cleaning that looked just as nice as the one we stayed in, #126.
I will drive a hour more or pull off a hour early to stay there.
We ate at Red Lobster, also excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Here I am on a long over do vacation. I decided to take a road trip from New York to Fort Lauderdale. I guess the old days of childhood memories going from interesting place to place and staying at the venerable Howard Johnsons is completely gone forever.
This motel was a discraceful mess and should not be serving the public. The room was very dirty and run down. There were cigarette burn hole in the bed spread, burns on the vanity, tub, toilet and furnture. The walls and doorn moldings were covered with dirt. The exterior doors and trim looked like a child spraypainted with a can. Brown overspray on all the tan walls. Garbage floating in the pool.It broke my heart to have such fond memories of such a woderfully famous vacation stop-over for myself (and I am sure many Americans) be trashed in such a horrable manner.
Shame on you Windam Group. Shame on you.

Room Tip: Choose another motel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The room and bathroom were clean and adequate. The hotel was nothing special but we experienced a clean place to lay our heads for a night. As advertised the breakfast was minimal but enough to get you started in the morning. The desk clerk was friendly during both check in and check out. The hotel was a good alternative to the higher priced hotels further north on I95. The hotels walls are very thin as we could hear our adjacent neighbors and the goings on in the parking lot. The outside grounds were OK but could use a sprucing up as the weather turns nicer. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Not sure, but I think this inn was recently renovated. Check in was quick and friendly. Had a king non-smoking room that was furnished nicer than I expected. Nice TV, two easy chairs that were actually comfortable. Bed was comfortable, pillows were a little flatter than I prefer though. Micro and fridge. Room was clean and comfortable. Didn't try the breakfast, but it looked like the typical stuff. Overall this was a good value and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank rocknrun
Reviewed 16 February 2013

i arrived late evening on a Sunday night. I'd previously checked into a nearby hotel and found the experience dreadful. Upon checking out, I called the Howard Johnson just down the street. They welcomed me warmly and graciously. The lobby is extremely nice and the desk staff was great. My room was nice, also. Yes, they are doing renovations on the property but I didn't find it obtrusive. The cleaning staff were kind of loud in getting their supplies nearby, and their language offensive at times. The one time I went to the lobby in the morning as i was leaving for the day, a few of the cleaning ladies stood at the door of the lobby, smoking, which wasn't that pleasant to walk through, Again, their language was a bit offensive at times. Regardless, I plan to stay here once again if and when I am in the area. The desk staff and maintenance was extremely helpful, professional and gracious.

Room Tip: Extended stay rooms were near the back of the hotel. But it was okay. Ask to not be placed beside or...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I'm pretty sure the room I stayed in was previously a crime scene. I swear I am still feeling itchy after being in the room for only 15 minutes ..( yes, we left. We would rather continue driving after being in the car for 9-10 hours than stay in that dump). The pillow had mold and "hair dye" on it, there was an end of a blunt and ashes in the toilet paper holder, it smelled of cigarettes in a non-smoking room and there was a BLOOD STAIN on the mattress. Yes folks, you heard me correctly. NEVER AGAIN. The woman in the office was very nice. She offered us a "better" room but we declined, got our money back and went on our way. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn Marriott in North Carolina- WAY BETTER!

• Stayed: January 2013