“Roaches and filth and rude people, OH MY!”

Americas Best Value Inn Florence
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 4 March 2014

On 1/26/14, my truck driver was broken down and forced to get a room at this place as it was closest. He took a cab, checked in, walked to get a bite to eat and returned a couple of hours later to walk in to the room for the first time. It was filthy, with live roaches scattering all over the microwave, minifridge, and throughout the bathroom. He called the front desk and told the clerk he wanted to check out immediately and asked him to come take a look at the roaches and the filth. Even though the room was only a couple of doors away from the desk, the clerk refused, saying he just sprayed a week ago (and said 'all hotels around here have this problem'). My driver asked for a refund, but the clerk said he could not, saying because he checked in over 2 hours ago, he knew the owners would not issue a credit. The room was obviously not used as the bed and toiletries, etc were not disturbed. When asked to speak to the "owners", the clerk would not try to call them because he said they "are in Florida and very difficult to reach". My driver had to pay for another cab ride to a Hampton Inn, which did NOT have any roaches. I called and spoke to this clerk on 01/26/14. He was rude, unprofessional and said "I already told your driver check in was over 2 hours before the check out and there will be no refund". I asked for the owners contact information, and the clerk said all he can do is forward my request for a refund to them. I also called again 01/28/14 and left a message for the manager or owner.To this day, I have never received a call back from any manager or owner. Once I received my credit card statement indicating the hotel charges applied, I called to dispute them. Chase card contacted a manager named Nina who said she would "look into it". She has not called me back, nor has she answered my calls. My advice is: Do not even consider staying here unless: a. you love roaches b. you don't mind filth (and I mean filth) c. it is the zombie apocalypse and roaches are the least of your worries.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Diana M
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn Florence

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I admit that it isn't the cleanest or the nicest but I had to find somewhere to stay during this latest ice storm and EVERY hotel in Florence had no vacays including this one. I went in and asked if they had rooms and the guy infront of me took the last one. As I was pulling out, the front desk clerk came running out and told us someone just checked out and we can have their room. They express cleaned the room and had it ready in less than an hr (wish they would have taken a little more time because it seems like the last guest had a little bit of a drug problem and the room reeked of weed) All together it isn't as bad as everyone is saying and at $45 a night with tax and pet fees... please name one other place that can beat that.

Room Tip: Great place if you are tired and need a place to sleep. Great value at $45 a night w/ pets.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Brad W
Anil M, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Florence, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thanks you for your comments and time to give us a review I am glad you made it home and safe front the storm.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have stayed at ABBVI at various places and made the mistake of staying at the one in Florence SC. This one used to be well run and had good upkeep. Although the room had been cleaned the carpets and room were "grimy", live cockroaches in the microwave, there were black greasy handprints on the shower curtain and wall, the toilet was broken, the phone didn't work and good luck trying to get a towel in this place. When the sun goes down the real fun begins, people partying like on "Animal House" until all hours of the morning, hookers and drug dealers coming and going and dog crap on the stairs for days at a time. It has become the definition of flea bag hotel!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank 1traveleer
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and I spent a long weekend here. I never witnessed any drug dealing or prostitution. Was it possible that it was going on, of course, but I did not see it. I also did not see any police cars. I felt completely safe throughout the visit. We walked our dogs late at night without any incident.The room was nothing special, but was clean enough. The large flatscreen television was a nice addition. We did not go to the bar and restaurant.The staff we interacted with were also very nice. Yes, the hotel is a bit out of town, looks a bit run down, and there are many people that live here. However, if you need a cheap place, especially one that is pet friendly, this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan A
Anil M, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn Florence, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

On behalf of our staff and management, I would like to personally thank you for sharing a review with us. We take great pride in exceeding our guests expectations. Come see us again sometime.
Thanking you
Anil

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Location:
First off we drove down the wrong end of TV Road for 15min. After almost hitting a robust four legged creature we believe to be a dog, we decided to take a left and POW there was the..."apartment complex."

Appearance:
We felt like we were in a casting for a new scary movie. There's an old gas station that looks out of service next to the hotel. When we arrived we couldn't help but crack up at the tiny fountain outside. Reminded us if a bootleg Vegas. Felt like Hangover 4.

Service:
I walked in the motel and the STINCH - ewwwwwwwww. There were a lot of older men drinking at the bar. The song RING MY BELL was playing when I checked in. The clerk asked me to fill out some "piece of paper" that was supposed to constitute as my checkin. Weird!

Rooms:
There was a musty old chair in the room that looked like someone dumped all the ashes from all the car ashtrays in florence,sc on it. The light at the door didnt work so we kept the door open until we found a light that did. The room was "Eh." I was surprised to see a flat screen. I was prepared for an older tv with the butt in the back.
I opened a drawer to see if there was a pen... LOW AND BEHOLD I almost regurgitated. That drawer looked like it was the first drawer Ann Frank put her clothes in. Needless to say, remodeling would be nice.

Atmosphere/Environment
A car alarm went off...after going off for 1min a 5yr old boy runs out his room (which happens to be next to ours) with only underwear a sweater and keys. he says to me "I have to go turn that off." Ummmmmm??? Lol ok
Police were in the parking lot all night and every time I went to my car or the store I ran into a new creepy looking guy each time. Just weird!

We are young and single and only needed a place to crash so hey we made it but I wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute because we had already often stay in the hotel america best value inn before, and we believe it represents a good value for money. This time it was the nightmare! The whole family has not slept all night! Men and women (prostitute) went directly into the next room, crying incessantly. Start of the battle have burst, there was even the police. Cries without stops until 5 am.
I suspected that the bar was noisy in my reach to 22h but I expressly ask kindly lady of the reception we were very tired from the long drive and needed a quiet room to SLEEP.
To make matters worse, the room (adapted for disabled people) was very dirty with dead cockroach in the bathroom. The smell of cigarette unbearable throughout the room invaded us.

I went to see the man at the reception in the morning to tell him my insatisfation and only thing he could answer me this is: you just had to call more often receptions!

America WORST value!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Meloche J
Anil M, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Florence, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear Meloche H,

On behalf of the staff and management of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to apologize for the negative experience you had with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to get a good nights rest. Rest assured, we will do our best to ensure that these same issues will not occur again in the future. Please contact me directly as I want to discuss matter with you further.

Regards,
Anil-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Florence, SC

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Warning, Do not stay at this hotel if you like clean and safe. This hotel is the dirtiest unsafest hotel i ever walked in to. I knew there was a problem when I arrived and walked in the lobby "since i had made reservations 3 months in advance" and seen drunks hanging out with the clerk, When i was going to my room, prostitution & drugs dealing going on. It is across the street from a truck stop. When i opened the room door, oh my god, smelt of urine poored out, the room was terrible. We walked down and I said, noway in hell i'm staying here!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lori1962,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am deeply concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We do our very best to provide a safe and secure environment. We do have a part-time security officer who patrols the premises. We are in the process of remodeling including new mattresses and furniture. Unfortunately, we were not able to meet your expectations.

Regards,