“Don't go near this place”

Americas Best Value Inn Florence
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Albertville, Minnesota
“Don't go near this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here only because it was race weekend and had played a little to late. All other hotels in the area were booked. We would have driven miles to find a different hotel if we would have known how awful this hotel was. The pictures on the web are NOT this hotel. They are dirty and the rooms smells so bad that you have to keep the air on just to keep the air moving. We had three rooms, one which we moved out of because of garbage and a bag which looked like someones clothes were found in a drawer. The tv remote didn't work and there were burn holes all over the furniture and bedspread. The next room was better but had a white crusty flim on the bedspread. Needless to say the bedspread went to the floor. You have to wait for towels. I think they have to wash the towels before they replace them. We had given the maid our towels when we left in the morning and came back in the afternoon and we still didn't have towels. All three rooms had really old, burn holes and stained furniture. Our final room had the cabel laid out on the floor and was coming from the room next door. They have a restaurant on site but with everything else being so old and awful we walked across the street to the truck stop and ate. I am not sure how this can be call Americas Best. We will never stay in one of these again EVER. I wish I would have read the reviews before we booked this hotel. I wish I would have taken pictures to show everyone why you should not stay here. On a more positive note, Mark, who works the front desk is awesome. Very nice and was very helpful when we asked to change rooms. He is wasting his time at this place. He should be working in a more upscaled chain of hotels. No matter how much you want to save, spend a little more and find a different hotel to stay.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alwaysmaketime2travl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I drove a bit of a distance with no hotels in sight so when this one popped up I took it. If I had only driven to the next exit I would have had a choice of many other motel chains. I wish I had. This room smelled SO BAD that I left the door open to help air it out until I went to sleep. The carpet was sticky to walk on with socks as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Rotterdam, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

carpeting was patched & u could trip on it if u were not careful

toilet was not even bolted down (felt like u were on a rocking chair)

fan in bathroom sounded like a jet taking off

towels left from previous guests

drawer chest had jam or some other sticky substance on it

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane S
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Drafts $1.25, is what we were told, didn't try it out, were too tired. Cleaner room, get 2nd. floor as maybe more quiet with folks getting in, closing car doors and talking. I slept thru it but it awoke my better 1/2 a bit. Ice in the lobby, room smelled good and it was maybe $40. less than other chains which aren't perfect either.

Room Tip: More quiet on 2nd floor from guests getting in later and closing theit doors and talking , which see...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Somerset, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

On 1/26/14, my truck driver was broken down and forced to get a room at this place as it was closest. He took a cab, checked in, walked to get a bite to eat and returned a couple of hours later to walk in to the room for the first time. It was filthy, with live roaches scattering all over the microwave, minifridge, and throughout the bathroom. He called the front desk and told the clerk he wanted to check out immediately and asked him to come take a look at the roaches and the filth. Even though the room was only a couple of doors away from the desk, the clerk refused, saying he just sprayed a week ago (and said 'all hotels around here have this problem'). My driver asked for a refund, but the clerk said he could not, saying because he checked in over 2 hours ago, he knew the owners would not issue a credit. The room was obviously not used as the bed and toiletries, etc were not disturbed. When asked to speak to the "owners", the clerk would not try to call them because he said they "are in Florida and very difficult to reach". My driver had to pay for another cab ride to a Hampton Inn, which did NOT have any roaches. I called and spoke to this clerk on 01/26/14. He was rude, unprofessional and said "I already told your driver check in was over 2 hours before the check out and there will be no refund". I asked for the owners contact information, and the clerk said all he can do is forward my request for a refund to them. I also called again 01/28/14 and left a message for the manager or owner.To this day, I have never received a call back from any manager or owner. Once I received my credit card statement indicating the hotel charges applied, I called to dispute them. Chase card contacted a manager named Nina who said she would "look into it". She has not called me back, nor has she answered my calls. My advice is: Do not even consider staying here unless: a. you love roaches b. you don't mind filth (and I mean filth) c. it is the zombie apocalypse and roaches are the least of your worries.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Diana M
Marion, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I admit that it isn't the cleanest or the nicest but I had to find somewhere to stay during this latest ice storm and EVERY hotel in Florence had no vacays including this one. I went in and asked if they had rooms and the guy infront of me took the last one. As I was pulling out, the front desk clerk came running out and told us someone just checked out and we can have their room. They express cleaned the room and had it ready in less than an hr (wish they would have taken a little more time because it seems like the last guest had a little bit of a drug problem and the room reeked of weed) All together it isn't as bad as everyone is saying and at $45 a night with tax and pet fees... please name one other place that can beat that.

Room Tip: Great place if you are tired and need a place to sleep. Great value at $45 a night w/ pets.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brad W
Anil M, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Florence, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thanks you for your comments and time to give us a review I am glad you made it home and safe front the storm.
Erin, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have stayed at ABBVI at various places and made the mistake of staying at the one in Florence SC. This one used to be well run and had good upkeep. Although the room had been cleaned the carpets and room were "grimy", live cockroaches in the microwave, there were black greasy handprints on the shower curtain and wall, the toilet was broken, the phone didn't work and good luck trying to get a towel in this place. When the sun goes down the real fun begins, people partying like on "Animal House" until all hours of the morning, hookers and drug dealers coming and going and dog crap on the stairs for days at a time. It has become the definition of flea bag hotel!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business