“Front Desk Clerk EUGENE”

Econo Lodge Florence
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Richmond
“Front Desk Clerk EUGENE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

Nice hotel the rooms where clean. The front desk clerk went above and beyond.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank vetvet6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Hotel was pretty decent. The room was clean and amenities were updated. We were located in the rear building due to late booking for race week. The hotel is located right beside I-95 and I was very surprised that we did not hear any traffic or noise from others staying in our building. The bed was very comfortable. Water pressure was ok and shower was new, shower head was new and adjustable.They also provided free shaving cream and a few other things along with the usual shampoo, etc. (Could have been for race week only) We did not try the continetal breakfast.
We found a great locals place to eat called Bobs which is located west of I-95 at exit 164. For less than 20 dollars for 2 persons we had all you could eat of some great home cooking. Stuffed crab, fresh catfish, homemade mac & cheese. Excellent apple / peach cobbler. They have a breakfast buffet too but I didn't get to try that. Maybe next year.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bornwithwheels
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

Large room was clean & neat with the exception of the carpet. That could have used some deep cleaning.

The breakfast was above average.

The staff was curtious.

I would stay again.

• Liked — Comefortable bed. Large selections of restaurants nearby
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank SouthCarolinaTrout45
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2008

We stayed in 2 rooms (my husband and I in one on the 2nd floor and my 3 year old and his aunt in one room on the bottom floor) at this property after a Long, LONG drive from FL headed home to MD that day. We checked in and were directed to a very rear, not well lit building at the far end of the property. (We originally booked using an 800 number for Gold Members in Choice Hotels points program without incident.)

At first glance everything seemed to be in order I noticed no foul odors or anything wrong at first glance. My husband immediatly set up our computer and made mention that the placement of the power outlets next to the table were ingenious. While he tapped away on the keyboard I readied for bed.

When I was using the sink I had the misfortune of seeing a hair (most likely from another persons nether-regions from its nature and length) sitting idly on the sink. Now I have blonde striaght hair and so I am 99.9999% sure this was not mine. Nevertheless, I calmly disposed of it and went on with life. I was really too tired to care. After a brief check for other things I took a shower, water pressure acceptable and no smell to the water that I could detect.

This hotel has expensive (down?) pillows which are too soft for my taste but other than that the linens were ok. Honestly, I wasn't in the room but 10 hours and so I was not able to try out the TV or other amenitites.

My sister in law on the other hand apparently did battle with a number of critters. She chucked several roaches (yes, ROACHES) out the door and then got so freaked out she loaded her suitcase back into the truck to avoid taking any hitchhikers the next day. She also noted a number of dead mosquitos splatted to the back of the door. How they got there is anyone's guess. She could not sleep and tossed all night. She rode the remainder of the trip bleary eyed. So we had two wildly differerent experiences with two different rooms.

As all Choice hotels do, they served a continental breakfast until 9am that was passable and we pulled out at 9:45am.

I guess the bottom line is, stay toward the front, stay on the upper floor.

• Liked — Useful power outlet placement above desk
  • Disliked — Bugs and errant hairs
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank sock_girlie
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

We stayed at this Comfort Inn for one night at the beginning of July. We were traveling from Pennsylvania to Myrtle Beach and always stay in Florence, SC before heading to Myrtle Beach the following day. We had previously stayed at the Econo Lodge across the street last year, which was a HUGE mistake.

We arrived at the Comfort Inn a bit ahead of schedule and were able to check-in early without a problem. Our room was on the second floor. It was a standard room with two double beds (four pillows on each) and a sitting area. The room was clean. The A/C unit worked well and without incident. The bathroom was clean and looked well maintained. There was free HBO and wireless internet, which worked well.

The pool was closed when we got there. The manager at the front desk said they were working on balancing the levels of the chemicals. So, we went to supper and after we returned we gained access to the pool. The pool was very large, clean, and had a little patio around it. Our two childrren enjoyed the water, and we had fun swimming as well.

This Comfort Inn has outside and inside corridors. We had a room with an inside corridor. The only issue we had was that the door to the room would always stick and you had to throw your body against it at times to open and properly close it so it would lock. This was not a major deal to us though, just an annoyance.

The complimentary breakfast was nice. They had a waffle maker and your typical items such as juice, coffee, cereal, bagels, etc. The food was good and the area for breakfast was large enough to accomodate the guests who were eating. They had a television on the wall to watch while you were eating. You also receive free USA Today if you wish (always a nice touch).

Overall, this Comfort Inn is a nice place to stay for a stop-over on the way to another destination. It has a nice pool, is a good value for the money, and has clean, comfortable rooms. We would stay there in the future as we travel to Myrtle Beach. Of course, after you stayed at the Econo Lodge across the street, anything would seem better.

• Liked — Location, Pool, & Breakfast.
  • Disliked — Some Areas Need a Little Updating
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Family122
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

I found this a very clean and fairly well-run example of the Comfort Inn chain. I booked via Triple-A, and had no problems checking in. When I called from the road to tell them of my late arrival, the woman was very pleasant and said the room would be held all night (I had guaranteed with a credit card). On arrival at 10:10pm, check-in was fast and easy. Unfortunately the pool closes at 10pm and re-opens at 10am, so no refreshing dip for me! It looked fairly nice, though an apparent in-ground jacuzzi had been cemented over.

The room, and the hotel itself, appear quite clean. Standard chain motel decor (see photos). Curtains blocked light very effectively, room lighting choices were plentiful and working, the bed was very comfortable, and the TV worked fine. Various amenities such as ironing and board, hair dryer, coffee maker, and room safe are provided. DO NOT TOUCH the room safe if you do not intend to use it. I played with it to see how it worked and end up being charged $1.50 for some sort of "room safe warranty fee". This charge is not mentioned anywhere, and is a rip-off. I did not encounter any outside- or other-room noises on my Wednesday night stay, as I think most guests were fellow road-warriors trying to get some sleep at the Florence I-95 "pit-stop".

Sink and vanity area are outside the toilet/bath room for convenience. Shower worked fine, plenty of hot water, though a very lame Sunbeam showerhead provided reduced pressure and no "massage". Typical low-end soap/shampoo provided. I did not test their wireless network, but a public computer in an alcove off the lobby worked fine. Breakfast was standard continental fare, served in a fairly small room near the lobby. Everything was plentiful, and very clean. Check-out was also fast and easy, although the morning clerk was nowhere near as pleasant as the evening one.

All in all, not a bad overnight stop on the I-95 corridor in the $45-60 range. Somewhat nicer than the Motel 6 I stayed at in Florence in 2007, and worth the extra $15 in cost. The Comfort Inn works fine if you just need a nights rest and don't want to spend the $75-100 for the slightly nicer places. Just don't touch the safe, and scrutinize your bill before signing at check-out...

• Liked — Cleanliness, Convenience to highway, Price
  • Disliked — Extra charge for safe, drab decor, pool not open early
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank MrNuz
Amsterdam, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2008

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Florence for one night on a trip down I-95 and were pleasantly surprised. Checkin was quick and very friendly and everything was clean and comfortable in the room. The place is definitely worn but seems to be well kept. We would stay again. My only complaints are that the walls and windows don't do much to keep out the noise, so we could hear conversations out in the parking lot loud and clear in the morning. Fortunately, we didn't have loud neighbors during the night. Also, the wireless network was good for the most part, but dropped a couple times.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Noise coming in from the parking lot in the morning
  • Stayed June 2008