“Couldn't wait to get out of there”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Thunderbird Inn

Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Florence
California
“Couldn't wait to get out of there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

The non-smoking room we got reeked of cigarettes. There were several different kinds of bugs crawling and flying all over the room. It could have been cleaner (lots of dust). The towels were small and really thin. We were surprised that Hotwire would rate it as a 2.5 star hotel. It was more like a 1 star.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JenO1213

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Long story short, We booked another hotel and went for the cheapest thing we could find. When we arrived, they had given away our room. So at 2am we drove hotel to hotel with two kids in the car, trying to find a comfortable place to lay our head. Three hotels were sold out before we stumbled upon the Thunderbird Inn. I didn't expect much from the no name brand side of the highway motel. The room was cheap and but they had the best breakfast I ever had at ANY hotel's restaurant. The room was poor but the breakfast was excellent. I debated what score to give the hotel, and since you go to the hotel to sleep first, eat second... I have to tell you, the room smelled like boo boo. I couldn't sleep over the smell. I laid the kids on top of the covers and tried to do my best. We would have never known about the breakfast until we went to check out. The other hotel had sent over a voucher to cover room and breakfast for our trouble. If it wasn't free, it would not have been for me.

Room Tip: This is a late night rest stop, not a leisure hotel. The country kitchen is the best thing they have...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dezz g

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

hillside
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We have eaten there at various times and end enjoy ourselves. We decided to get a room the last visit. Not impressed by room. We were on the 1st level. What really angered me was the tile around faucet was broken. When the bathroom light was turned out a beam of came from faucet area. When I looked through I saw a corridor. Thjis discovery was made after the tub was used. Informed desk clerk said could allow us to wash in another room. unacceptalbe. Took some time to get over.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank den b
Jensen Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

After reading reviews about being favorite spot, etc. we stopped. We waited at check in until the clerk finished a lengthy personal call about a football game. Granted, the food was good, but the rest was bad! A dead roach greeted us on the carpet; if it wasn't so late & we had already dragged luggage up to 2nd floor we would've left then. The non-smoking room had ashes left behind the paper roll, cracked ceilings throughout. The lamp had a burned-out bulb; we were told by front desk clerk we'd have to wait until morning for maintenance or housekeeping. When we insisted, he managed to find one. The absolute worst mattress -- hard as a rock!! Beware of good reviews, the few dollars differfence is not worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fl t
PHILLY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

I was very hesitant upon stopping here on our family trip to Florida. Man, was I glad we stopped. My aunt and uncle are foodies and rave about this place all the time.
Don't let the low budget feel of the decor stop you from eating here.
The service ---greeted with a smile.
The food- some of the best home cooked southern food found outside of your grandparents home cooking. The cobbler and fried chicken---yum yum yum!!!!
The Value----great prices!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lataniaphl
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

Even though didn't stay at the hotel I was told by a family member that regularly drives from SC to MD that this was her favorite spot to stop and get some food during the road trip. On my way to Disney I stopped by here and the fried chicken at the all you can eat buffet is great. Nothing like southern freshly cooked fried chicken the macoroni and cheese was good also. Although it weighed heavly on my stomach from eating to much I stopped on the trip back home as well. Perfect family eating.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MDBornTraveler
Palm Harbor, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

It's a very dated interstate highway motel which is easy to see as you drive up. It was also half the price of the motels in the area which is the only reason they are probably still in business so for a place to overnight it was okay. It has a bar and grill connected to it which was also dated but, surprisingly, the food wasn't too bad.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple