“Trip to Fla wouldn't be complete if I didn't stay here”
Review of Thunderbird Inn

Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Virginia Beach
“Trip to Fla wouldn't be complete if I didn't stay here”
Reviewed 21 March 2007

My great grandparents used to stay here while on their way down to Florida from New Jersey, this was back in the 70's/80's. Ever since I started taking the trip to Florida back in 2000 I decided to continue the tradition. Every year since then (except for 2003 when it had be booked for the night) I've stayed at this hotel. It may not be the newest, cleanest hotel in the area but it has history which is important to me. They've got an outstanding breakfest buffet that I always look forward to. It's complete with all the southern specialties and fixin's that will be sure to fill you up right and best of all, it's free with your stay! They've got a nice tropical courtyard that surrounds the pool in the center that gives me a tropical feel everytime I'm there. They also have a lounge with sometimes live entertainment which may be a selling point to some. This motel seems to be very popular with golfers and always seems to have a full parking lot so although some reviews may not be the best, I'm definitely not the only one that loves this place. If you're looking for a state of the art, modern, spotless hotel this place isn't for you. Now if you want something with a local feel and a true road side stop - then this place is a must!

• Liked — Location, Landscaping/Courtyard, Restaurant/Buffet
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank s_b_man18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 December 2006

If you are driving The Beast (AKA I-95) Florence is a good place to stop for the night. After staying at another hotel at this same exit over the years, thought we'd give the Thunderbird Inn a shot because of the enticing offer of a free breakfast buffet. And shoot it we should have... right across the highway to the old tried and true standby Motel 6!
The sign should have told us something since half the letters are burned out. When we pulled up to the entrance way, the sheriff's car (including a criminal of some sort locked up in the back) should have been a bigger sign to fly right out of there. I would have, but SO wanted to press ahead. (He had his eagle eye set on filling his gullet in the morning with that free buffet.)
The ground floor room had seen better days, which were probably back in the 60's. However, the avian theme was consistent - bird poop colored carpet, splattered paint job on the walls, droppings/stains (God only knows of what) on the furniture and a blanket that could have been used to file down a falcon's talons it was so rough. The bathroom floor had been so sloppily cleaned it still had a puddle of water. Two feather-light towels were about as big as a gull's wingspan.
Since there were so few customers (another sign we should have paid attention to) I must say it was a quiet night. The long-anticipated buffet was nothing to write home about. The servers were extremely friendly & pleasant, but the food was average at best. They do charge extra if you want milk or juice, which is a ridiculous concept - guess if you've got kids you are stuck paying for their drinks. Bottom line: Go to the Motel 6. They take pets, too and the place is far and away better than the T-Inn.

• Tips/Secrets — Fly away!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank TwoTravelersToG... A

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

East Coast
Reviewed 10 July 2006

This motel is rated 2 satrs by AAA. That is about right. Basic, 1960's style, although it has a decent pool in the courtyard. Right under the interstate so the side that faces it has loud traffic noise. If that is an issue request a different locaton. Could have been cleaner, but it was passable. Our $47.00 rate came with a full hot all you could eat breakfast buffet which made it a good deal. Attendant on line cooking eggs to each persons liking. Several meats, pancakes, fruit. It was a one night layover stop for us which was OK, if planning anything longer consider another place.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Giggy
Reviewed 22 July 2005

The Thunderbird Inn is a half-way point for us, driving from Alexandria, VA, and the experience was great. For the room rate, we took our small dog, enjoyed the big, clean pool, and the country buffet was yummy! I highly recommend it, and will stop there again in the future.

Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2005

Run don't walk as fast as you can by this place.An eye sore .. The resturant is so nasty and the food look's so bad you would't want to try it. Great place if your on a diet.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 June 2005

I have been staying at this Inn for 42 years since a child and continue to with my child. NEVER had a leaky or dirty room, staff always helpful and nice. I love the train as do the kids in my family, as for the food LOVE IT!. They give a FREE all you can eat complimentary breakfast too! All southern style cooking and I love that SWEET TEA!If you like small town Southern charm with great food, this is the place to stay. Nice place to pull off the highway and relax.I plan to be there in a few weeks if I can get a room the place is always packed. - Connecticut

• Stayed July 2003
Reviewed 23 August 2004

We stayed at the Thunderbird recently and choose it based on the fact that it had a pool. The pool may have been the nicest part of this inn. We had 3 rooms for our family and one room actually had water leaking through the ceiling above. The staff couldn't really fix the problem and my elderly grandmother wasn't able to navigate the stairs to move up to the 2nd level away from the rest of the family. This room had a very bad odor, guessing from the water. The rooms were dirty, writing on the ceiling, electrical outlets exposed with no covering, and carpet that was coming off the floor. The lights in 1 room were connected with an extension cord that went out at some point during our 15 hour stay. We opted not to eat at the restaraunt. I wouldn't stay there again, not sure it was entirely safe.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member