“Ridiculous Road Noise”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Florence
south carolina
“Ridiculous Road Noise”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Just needed a place to get a "good nights sleep"....shouldn't have stopped here, because the road noise was ridiculous!! I think I have slept better in downtown New York City. Trucks were wizzing by all night long and there was no way to filter out the noise...When you pay over $100.00/night for a hotel room...I expect a decent sleep environment...don't stop here!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank trexaiken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed here for 1 night while traveling. It was okay but not great.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I don't travel or make online hotel reservations often and will be extremely careful next time I do. My family and I are traveling to MD and VA. I made an online hotel reservation at Holiday Inn E&S in Florence, SC on 7/18/2010 before our travels because I wanted to be assured a clean, comfortable room during our travels. This hotel seemed like a very nice place. Since then, our plans have changed and we will not be able to stay at the hotel. I called the hotel on 7/22/2010 to cancel my reservation for 7/30/2010. Much to my surprise I was informed that I could cancel my reservation but would still be charged $114 because I made reservations online for a non-refundable advanced purchase. WHAT? Where was that fine print or how could I have overlooked something as important as that? I talked to the Manager, Angie Barrentine, to see if she would please credit my account the amount they charged me but she refused and did nothing to help. I called Holiday Inn Guest Services and filed a complaint and will be writing a letter to Corporate and the Owner (franchise) to express my disapproval of their policy. I feel like I have been ripped off. I called way in advance to cancel so why should I have to pay for a service I am not going to utilize. If they wanted they could reimburse me but as Ms. Barrentine said, "If I do it for you I have to do it for everyone". I guess this happens all the time and they are making out on this on-line advanced reservation When I asked for the name of the General Manager, Angie refused to give me the name of the general manager and said she was it. SCAM! BEWARE TO YOU ALL!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
92 Thank lindamwarner
Angela B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florence I-95 @ Hwy 327, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
I do apologize again for the confusion in the ADVANCE PURCHASE rate that you booked. IHG has had the ADVANCE PURCHASE rate ever since I have worked with them (2003) and it has not changed in the past 8 years it has always been a rate you purchase when you book the reservation and there are no cancellations- if you do cancel your payment is nonrefundable.
The exact wording of the rate description online is "Take advantage of special savings when you book early. This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival. "
I do apologize again for this matter, and did offer to change your date of arrival but you declined.
Angela Barrentine
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Off I-95 at exit 170, the hotel is nice, comfy, full free breakfast and room has all the extras you'd expect from Holiday Inn. I found it quiet, staff was very nice and professional and overall a pleasant experience. If you want to eat out or shop, you have to drive south about 9 miles for the Mall. I found it just a bit pricey for the budget traveler but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank WBA-Man
Rice VA
Reviewed 29 June 2010

So glad we finally found a decent motel along I-95. The last few, right off the expressway, have been pretty rough. This motel was about 1/2 mile off 95-20 so there was no traffic noise or congestion. Had young kids with us and didn't want to have to go back out for dinner. The ladies at the front desk provided me with info on 2 pizza places that delivered. The pool was fine and there was an outside patio. The room itself was small but clean w/good quality bedding and towels. Breakfast was adequate w/healthy choices and good coffee. I'll stay here again - an excellent 1/2 way spot between central Virginia and Jacksonville FL.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank love2RiceVA
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We were on our way to Savannah, GA and just got too sleepy to continue on. This HIE was right off I-95. We checked in a 1am and front desk was friendly. Our room was awesome! and the bed slept so comfy.
Breakfast was very good and had a little of everything. Nice stopping place at exit 170 if passing thru.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oceanwinds
South Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I had to stay with my girls one night at some hotel,since we had a two day conference at the Florence Civic Center ,so I check some reviews from this hotel and others,since the other hotels had a lot of bad experiences and this had many good ones,well I decided for this one...for our surprise it was very neat ,just like the photos,I checked everything and it was very clean and smell very nice and fresh( since the room attendent did a very good job I left her a tip,try to do that people becouse they work very hard),the hallways were very clean and smell nice also...the indoor pool was smaller then I thought but it was nice and clean,the breakfast area was great and so was the hot breakfast...the only bad thing was that in the middle of the night other guest were slamming their doors or making noise and wake me up,but beside that every thing was great! I think I'll be staying in this hotel next time.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business