“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Montclair, New Jersey
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here Christmas night and couldn't have been more happy. We arrived in the evening after driving all day from New Jersey. The woman who checked us in was friendly and welcoming. We asked her about places that would be open to eat on Christmas day and she didn't have a list, but said she would look into it. We brought our bags up to the room and by the time I went to go park the car she had a few places she had called. Great customer service.

The room was very nicely appointed. Comfortable bed and VERY CLEAN. If I could be critical of anything, it would be that we were put in a room that was very far from the elevator and it faced a construction site that had trucks going in and beeping at 5am the next morning. The hotel was very empty(only about 10 cars in the parking lot) and it seems that this room should be one of the last ones given out.

Otherwise a great stay. We are not big fans of the typical roadside accommodations. I am not swayed by waffle bars or continental breakfast. I actually looked forward to the Waffle House breakfast the next morning. I would recommend picking up a bag of the great kettle corn in the snack bar area.

The downtown seems like they are trying to get it going and rebuild and I wish them well. The Hotel is a great start to that renaissance.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the front of the hotel
1 Thank Dave B
Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Florence with others. We are very excited to be a part of Florence's downtown revitalization project and are looking forward to the exciting changes happening downtown. We are so happy you enjoyed the amenities and charm of the hotel and enjoyed our in house restaurant Victor's Bistro. We look forward to your next visit with us at Hotel Florence.

Director of Sales, Kelly Schlitter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We happened upon this hotel by chance and are pleased that we did. Downtown Florence is renovating slowly and this hotel is lovingly repointed. Located in the centre of Florence's historical downtown, it is step back in time with modern conveniences. Charming, elegant with very helpful staff. Loved everything about it plus an added bonus is a wonderful bar and restaurant attached, Victor's. Don't pass this one up.

Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

On our holiday trip back to Virginia from Florida, our half way point had changed to Florence. Upon looking for my normal Hilton brand I found this Gem. It was a welcome find and the only place I would stay in Florence again. Very upscale but not too assuming, great restaurant. If you are still deciding, book now.
As a hotel snob I offer the following for management.
1. Upon arrival at the front desk or table the attendant is sitting and there is a chair for you to sit. After 8 hours of driving and my family in the car I do not want to sit, I want my room. The whole sitting thing is too “chichi”
2. Went to the restaurant for dinner with our two children 5 and 8. There is only one restaurant and it is an upper class. I was worried about our appearance more than my children as they have grown up in such places.
Restaurant appraisal-
a. AGAIN, the manager and Hostess are sitting on chars behind the host stand. This sitting thing is awkward the energy it takes to stand re-sit and appear like you are working does not work.
b. The manager asked for our name and I told him that we are guest of the hotel. He sized us up and said that he had one table but is was reserved in an hour. The message that I received (right or not) was “you and your kids need to be out of here in an hour”.
c. The Waiter? Excellent! Treated my kids like little adults. Good Job and Good tip!
d. The Menu- They actually had a kids menu, which I did not expect. My 5 year old daughter got the peanut butter and jelly sandwich meal. My 8 year old son is not a chicken nugget kid and he wanted the fresh catch of the day with the grits. I asked the waiter if they could down size the entrée, the waiter advised sorry they couldn't. So my 8 year old got the 30.00 entree and ate about 5 dollars of it. Train your staff to never say no. Yes they can. Again he was still a great waiter!!! Am I being too snobby? No! The dinner check was over two hundred dollars (the wife and I had fine wine) so I am allowed to be.
e. The sitting thing again./ The manager and hostess sat at the hostess table chatting. This also became a congregation area for other employees to gather and chat all while drinking sodas. Not good manager! Walk around talk to guest.

3. Last but no least we had the same experience as a former poster. We had suite 107, which by the way is right at a Fire Exit door (so the sign says) but this door is now locked and on the other side is a party room not a fire exit. There was a party going on in there until after 2 a.m. No problem the kids retreated from the sofa room to our beds and shut the door. This would have been a major issue should we have needed the living room. P.S. Fix the fire trap, someone might be reporting this to the Fire Marshal! Guest trapped in a dead end hallway in a room with no windows doesn’t work out too good.
All done. Sounds like a bad review? Nope just a sincere review about one heck of a good property that can be a great property that I would recommend time and time again!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from any party venues that might be going on.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Florence with others. We are so happy you enjoyed the amenities and charm of the hotel and enjoyed our in house restaurant Victor's Bistro. We will be sure to pass along your praise and comments to the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit with us at Hotel Florence.

Easton, Maryland
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We were traveling south from Maryland on Boxing Day and fell upon this in lieu of The Hampton Inn. So Happy we did. The immaculate and oddly contempo decor were so different and fun. We had our young adult children with us so we got 2 rooms and we had a delicious dinner at Victors bistro. Everyone was gracious and efficient. Lorraine at the front desk was sweet though we were zombies and grumpy. Chris our waiter adorable and funny. George the manager of Victors so nice and charming also. I slept wonderfully though my daughter complained (what's new :) about noise outside something about a man with a hose sandblasting.?! Walls are a tad thin. But I really was enthralled. I will be interested in the revitalization project. Best Wishes. Happy New Year.

• Stayed December 2013
Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Florence with others. We are very excited to be a part of Florence's downtown revitalization project and are looking forward to the exciting changes happening downtown. We are so happy you enjoyed the amenities and charm of the hotel and enjoyed our in house restaurant Victor's Bistro. We will be sure to pass along your praise to the staff. We look forward to your next visit with us at Hotel Florence.

Detroit, MI
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We just came back from Florence and our first stay at the new Hotel Florence. They have done a wonderful job the building is gorgeous. Super high ceilings, lovely lobby furnishings. Our check in was very quick and the clerk was very friendly. Our room was one the first floor and a king room. The bed was great very high and full of fluffy pillows. The plantation shutter on the windows are a nice touch. Fantastic shower, nice size retro sink and a robe waiting for you to slip on. Turndown service includes a couple delicious chocolates from a store around the block. Victor's Bistro is a bright room filled with paintings, some for sale. Service is good and the food was quality. You can get a nice breakfast for a very reasonable price at Victor's. Their biscuits with sausage gravy were yummy and only four dollars. Bar packed both nights, finally snagged a couple stools and our bartender was quite nice and made great martini's. I would recommend the hotel with one tiny caveat. On Friday there was a large birthday party who rented the grand penthouse which is actually right above the rooms on the first floor. When we returned at nine in the evening we heard stomp, stomp, stomp flush every five to ten minutes. It kept up, I finally called the desk at 11:45PM and asked what was above me. She responded "Oh that's the penthouse they should be winding down soon." I was stunned, no we will check that, nothing. Guess us 1st floorers aren't as good as a bunch of drunks in the penthouse. It finally stopped around 1:30AM. The next day we took a tour around the hotel with our son and grandkids who live in town and the penthouse was open for cleaning, the whole thing has hardwood floors. So when there are a lot of people especially women in heels tromping around the first floor hears them clearly and loudly. The bathroom was right over our room hence the constant flushing as well as stomping. So if you go ask if the penthouse has a party or stay on the third floor. The Hotel Florence is a beautiful place and a breath of fresh air after chain hotels.

2 Thank maurbol
Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Florence with others. We are so happy you enjoyed the amenities and charm of the hotel and enjoyed our in house restaurant Victor's Bistro. Please know that all of our guests are equally important to us as well as customer service. Our penthouse does get booked for special gatherings from time to time especially with the holiday season. On your next visit we would be happy to offer you a room on a higher floor. We look forward to your next visit with us at Hotel Florence.

Kelly Schlitter, Director of Sales
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I am a diamond member with Hilton so usually stay at their properties but went off the beaten path and was pleasantly surprised! My room was very new and modern with exposed brick and luxurious amenities. The restaurant and bar was very lively and service was awesome as well as food and drinks! Can't wait to find a reason to come back!

• Stayed December 2013
Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Florence with others. We are so happy you enjoyed the amenities and charm of the hotel and enjoyed our in house restaurant Victor's Bistro. A perfect excuse to come back would be to join us for our 2014 Masquerade Ball. We look forward to your next visit with us at Hotel Florence.

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I waited about 15 mins to check in. There was one person in front of me so I'm not sure what took so long. While waiting to check in a group of airline employes arrived and I was told by the young lady at the desk she would need to take of them first but all they would need to do is sign a form. Of course they had questions about their rooms. After finally checking in I was informed the elevator was out of service and of course I had been put on the top floor. I was told I needed to park across the street but wasn't told I needed a parking pass so after parking I had to walk back to the desk where the young lady proceeded to laugh. No apology offered. I'll stick with Hyatt Place or Hampton Inns for my frequent hotel stays.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John D
Kelly A, Manager at Hotel Florence, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback and bringing to our attention the issues you faced at check in. This is not our hotel standard. Our customers and customer service are very important to us and we have addressed all the issues mentioned. We look forward to your return the next time you are in town.

Kelly Schlitter