“Good stop over on the way to Florida”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florence I-95 & I-20 Civic Ctr
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Hotel room was clean. We had a suite which included a pull-out sofa and (2) queen size beds, which were very comfortable. Little fridge came in handy to store our beverages overnight. The only problem was the vent was noisy. The breakfast in the morning was adequate, nothing special but it was conveinent, especially that we wanted to get on the road early. Front desk was pleasant. All-in-all it was good and I would stay here again.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

If you choose this hotel, you won't regret it, even if you decide to spend more than one night here. Everyone was friendly. Rooms were very clean. Breakfast was very good.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed here for the second time recently. We had stayed here about six months ago and we were pleased with the property. We were making another trip so we decided to stay here again. The trouble began at check in. When we check in, we were given a room directly across from the indoor swimming pool. I asked for another room but was told that the entire hotel was filled so that wasn't possible. I found that hard to believe since we checked in at 5 pm and the parking lot was mostly empty!

We went to dinner and then I took my kids for an evening swim in the pool. There was a large group of kids staying at the hotel and they were some kind of sports team. My kids wanted to leave the pool because the other kids were very rowdy. Yelling and screaming, pushing and shoving, no parents paid any attention to the wild behavior of these children. They were too busy drinking on the adjacent outdoor patio. When I had my kids showered and in bed by around 8:30 we still had to listen to the the noise from the pool. There was no sound insulation between the hallway and our room. We'd been up since 5 am and I had driven all day long. I was tired and so were my kids. We wanted to go to sleep but that was impossible! I don't blame the hotel for the kids' poor behavior. However, the hotel security should have asked the kids to quiet down. Eventually at 10 pm, when the pool closed the security come out and told the kids to leave the pool area. I had hoped that it would quiet down then but a large group of adults then stood outside our door in the hallway and had a long (and loud) conversation. I tried to call the front desk to see if they could ask the group in the hallway to move somewhere else. I called 4 times over almost an hour and had a busy signal every time I called. Eventually I went out into the hallway in my pajamas and asked the group to move, which they did. But if the group, who had been drinking, had gotten angry, I am not sure what I would have done!

In the morning I went to the front desk to complain about the room and the noise. I was told that I should have stayed at a different hotel when I found out that the only room they had for us was across from the pool. That wasn't possible though since I had a pre-paid reservation with a 72 hour cancellation clause. I was told that the manager was not in the building and that I could call him the following week if I was upset. They did eventually refund a small portion of the amount we paid for the room. I left feeling angry that I was not treated with any respect when I brought a problem to the attention of the front desk. They had a poor attitude towards customer service. I expected better, especially since we had stayed here before and been very happy with the hotel.
I was tired all day long and had a hard time staying awake while I was driving. I felt like the hotel put my family at risk.

This is the last time we will stay in this hotel. There are plenty of other hotels nearby and we will try one of them next time. We make frequent north/south trips along I95 and this hotel has lost a good customer.

4  Thank dianemom2
ChadPatterson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florence I-95 & I-20 Civic Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize for the frustration you experienced while here at the hotel. I can assure you the hotel was full when you arrived, as most of the teams were at their ball game. Therefore, there was no other room to move you to at the time of your arrival.
We want our guests to be comfortable and satisfied above everything else. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.
Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns. We hope you will stay with us again so we can demonstrate our comitment to your comfort.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

Great location & staff. Was there with 4 softball teams, ages 7-14. Hard to keep that many kids quiet, but the hotel worked very well with everyone. Would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Very accommodating
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way to Florida. Check-in went smoothly, rooms were very nice and clean and comfortable. Breakfast was awesome even had the new pancake maker.

I was not acknowledged as a priority club member and had to ask for my check-in bag but I think the clerk was new and learning, she seemed confused.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a hotel 1/2 way to Florida! Easy on/off from I95.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
ChadPatterson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florence I-95 & I-20 Civic Ctr, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Thank you for staying with us! I am glad to see that your stay was excellent. We try to ensure that all of our guests have a stay as wonderful as yours. I am sorry about the Priority Club confusion at check-in. I can assure you that we value EACH of our Priority Club Members! We do have a couple of new people on our desk... and I can assure you that on your next visit, there will be no confusion! Again, thank you for choosing our hotel. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 31 May 2011

We spent a night here on our way to St. Augustine, Fl. The hotel rooms were very clean and comfortable. A must stay for anyone driving between MD and FL.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Nice clean hotel a little off I-95. Room was clean and comfortable. The TV was a flat screen with lots of HD channels. The breakfast was free, plentiful and good - it was more than a continental with hot food such as sausage and eggs. I would have preferred to spend less than $100 for the night but it wasn't much more and the breakfast made up for it. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family