“Can't believes it's a Marriott”

Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Greensboro, Georgia
“Can't believes it's a Marriott”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I do not check Trip Advisor in advance when staying in Marriott hotels because I find them to be consistantly good....until I stayed at this hotel. It is a tired old property with mostly outside rooms. To get to our interior room, we took an elevator to the top floor which exited outdoors, a short distance from a key controlled exterior door. This is a nuisance when you have a lot of luggage. The toilet in our first room was not working so we had to change rooms. Only one of our two key cards worked. When I went to the lobby to get coffee to take back to the room before breakfast, there was no plain creamer and all of the newspapers were gone. The continental breakfast was basic and sparse. To their credit, most of the employees were pleasant and helpful. They have tried to dress the hotel with new carpeting and new flat screen TVs, analogous to putting lipstick on a pig.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank statboy2711

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This was a nice old style hotel. Brought back memories of the Holiday Inns we stayed at in the 70's. The staff was great and was very relaxing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Door not sealed (Cold air and light from outside visible).
Door opened to outside not inside.
Noisy (outside pedestrian traffic and from room above)
Room had terrible odor.

Room Tip: Do not get 1st floor room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Stephanie W, Director of Sales at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
I am so sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay and I can understand your frustration. These are issues that definately would have been addressed immediately to ensure your stay was as comfortable as possible. Please always notify your front desk upon finding anything that does not meet your expectations. We will always do what we can to accommodate you. We do wish that you will give us another try in the future. Once again, my apologies!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed one night while driving to Florida and this was a nice hotel. The rooms on the lower level are exterior entry, so if you are concerned about safety one of the upper floors might be better. The checkin was nice and fast, and they have a nice continental breakfast. The bed was just ok. The bathroom was basic but alright; I did notice that the tub was very shallow.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Ended up swinging by Florence on business and upon driving to the hotel, I didn't really like what I saw. Rooms were accessed from the outside, and it looked like a property that had been around for a while. Most Fairfield Inns that I have visited didn't have this type of setup, so I wasn't sure what I would expect.

Check-in service was friendly and I learned that my "king suite" room was on the 3rd floor, and required keyed access, which made me feel more at ease. Upon entering the room, the furnishings were nice and simple. The room was clean. It had a microwave and a refrigerator, and I was able to store some drinks and keep them nice and cold.

The next couple of nights were uneventful, which is always a good thing to me. Didn't really check out the amenities..did have breakfast one day, and it was your typical continental offerings.

I've been to better Fairfield locations, but this one wasn't bad. If I needed to stop by Florence again, I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
oh
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Stayed one night while traveling. I agree with most of what everyone has written. We were on the 3rd floor, which has an interior corridor, but would have been ok with the outside corridor.

We did not have any problems with "dampness" or "smell" in our room, and I must say it was a rainy night/morning during our stay. Maybe the third floor is less damp.

The front desk clerk, a male, was above excellent. He checked us in and I asked about nearby restaurants. It was getting last, about 11:30 and he mentioned Papa John's pizza delivered to the hotel. We talked a little bit and then he offered (insisted) my husband and I share a pizza he had ordered for himself. After saying no several times, he gave us two slices of pizza and seemed happy to do it, saying he would never be able to eat the whole pizza by himself. Talk about over the top friendly!!!

The funny part is, we had the pizza slices and we were waiting for the elevator. When the doors open, a lady said, "Yum, they have pizza in the lobby!!!" We couldn't help but chuckle!!!

In closing, I think this is a moderate place for any overnight stay while traveling. It is not fancy, but it is well located with very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for room on third floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Old hotel, they tried to upgrade it with a flat panel TV, carpet. It really should not be a Marriott product. It is OK if you need it for one night while passing through.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends