“Could Not Be Worse”

Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center
Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Rarely have I been so unhappy with a hotel stay, and to top it off we are long-time Marriott Rewards members. Where do I start? Well, to begin with, this place was never meant to be a Marriott establishment. It was obviously built to be one of those $30 per night, third-rate motels. All the rooms are accessed from the outside with the interior of each room being micro-sized. We had the unique experience of using the smallest bathroom (even for Europe) that we had ever encountered. The AC window unit could not have been louder and more annoying. The towels were threadbare and the table light was burned out. There was an insidious mildew odor in the carpet. And to top it all off, the hotel is situated at the back of a large shopping mall directly across from a derelict, abandoned building. In this setting, and in this town with a very high crime rate, I would not let my wife walk outside alone. If it wasn't so unsettling, I would have almost laughed at wondering if we were on some sort of "Candid Camera" joke where we were told we were staying at a Marriott - only to be confronted with a flea bag experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is an older property, the staff go out of their way to be helpful and are courteous. The breakfast was top notch. The scramble eggs were done just right and the sausage was tasty. One of the things I look for at a breakfast is how watered down the OJ is, theirs was not watered down at all.

Now for the unpleasant part. When entering my room it had a musty odor. I assumed it would go away after running the A/C but it did not. I should of requested another room but was too tired to do so. I turned the air off when I went for breakfast the next morning and when I returned the musty moldy odor was gone. I told the front desk as I checked out I thought the air conditioning unit needed to be cleaned or replaced as it was noisy also. So that is why I rated it poor.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed for only one night, on our way back north. The property was easy to find however I wish I could have lost the room. We stayed on the second level, the first and the second floor do remind me of a motel with external doors. The third having interior doors. Being a Marriott, I expected a lot better and was disappointed. The first thing you notice is the musty smell, it was so bad that after about 5 hours of sleep my wife went to the car to sleep. There was no mini fridge, no micro and no coffee maker in room. Marriott should ask the owner to ship up or change the name. I plan on saving this location on my google maps, so I could remember to avoid it.

My only positive note, it was easy on and off I-95.

Renter beware.

Room Tip: I guess, only guess, that the third floor may be better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

As Gold Marriott members, we travel a lot and this is the first time the rooms were such a huge disappointment. It was more of an old, beat up motel, with rooms connected outside. Ours was musty, dingy, in terrible need of renovation- carpets that my feet stuck to, cracked tiles, lumpy beds. Staff was nice and breakfast was fine. Can't see how it's a Marriott....

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The entire staff is excellent! From management down to housekeeping and maintenance. Everyone is friendly and goes way out of their way to ensure a pleasant visit. Plenty of great restaurants within walking distance and a good shopping mall.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This Fairfield Inn is located very close to the highway and walking distance from Magnolia Mall and several restaurants. The third floor is a "hotel" with doors opening to the interior, while the lower floors are more of a "motel" with doors opening to the outside. Be sure to request a room at the top. Our room was clean with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was also clean and mold free. The pool needs some repairs but is functional. The staff we encountered were all very nice. There were cookies when we arrived and free breakfast (make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, muffins etc.) I would highly recommend this hotel as a stopping point for the night if your are traveling through Florence on I-20 or I-95.

Room Tip: For safety, pick a room on the top floor. They have doors that open to the interior of the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Tina M, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

It was a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We always appreciate our guests' making us their choice. I was very happy to see staff and accommodations suited your needs as well. Please come back and visit us soon, we will ensure to keep our warm southern hospitality ready for your return. Safe Travels from your FFI-Florence Family!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We booked this place for a softball tournament. Initially, we reserved a lower level unit, but upon arrival we were "upgraded" to a deluxe room on the 3rd floor. The front desk clerk informed us, and ask if this was ok. I informed her it was not, but there were no other rooms available. So why ask? Nothing deluxe about the room. Merely a coffee maker, microwave and mini fridge. Don't pay the extra money for the deluxe room. NO air conditioning in the elevator and designated smoking are at entrance of the doors. Swimming pool requires attention. Perhaps clean the bugs out, sweep the area and I believe someone got sick in the pool. Extensive roof leaks in the 3rd level rooms, due to poor patch repairs and musty smell. Nice try on the upgrade interior carpeting and paint. Breakfast was decent (waffle maker, eggs, meat, all sorts of pastries, cereals, juices). Hotel is very convenient to restaurants and shopping. Right off of i-95.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for a "deluxe" room/suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

I want to thank you first for staying with us. I apologize the hotel was a bit different from what you expected, our design is slightly older from other hotels in the area. Our deluxe rooms are geared toward guests that want to stretch out a bit more and need additional amenities for their stay, usually this is a great place to have family spend down time and relax with a great night's sleep. I was discouraged to hear you did not enjoy the upgrade, and apologize again. Please feel free to reach out to me for any further feedback you would like to share. Tina Middleton/GM Fairfield Inn Florence SC 843-669-1666.