“Would not stay here again”

Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center
Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here on business for three nights. I have no complaints about the staff, but the room itself was uninviting. The furniture had stains on it. There were three pieces -- a desk chair, another chair, and an ottoman and ALL THREE had a whitish stain on them. Ick. The carpet in the hallway was garish and I can't believe was EVER in style. The lamp in my room was crooked. Some of the lights did not work. I am not the kind of person who won't walk on a hotel floor, but I went to a nearby Belk's and bought slippers to wear in the room. The whole feel of the room was SHABBY. The air conditioner was very loud, but that turned out to be a good thing as it drowned out the constant dripping of the water from a leaky faucet in the bathtub. The only good thing I have to say is that the internet signal was quite strong and the location was extremely convenient for the business I was conducting. Pay a little more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel did not give the sense of a Marriott chain, seems like it was just another average hotel. However the staffs were exceptional, very courteous and willing to assist, good location, good price and very good breakfast.

The bottom floor of this hotel seemed extremely average for a Marriott product; I had to request to move to the top floor which was a lot better.

Room Tip: Only stay on the top floor of this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed in the Fairfield Inn on the way to Florida. The location was good right off of I95 and close to shopping and food. The hotel needs to be updated. Our first room smelled so bad we asked to change our room. The employee at the desk granted our request without a problem, however, the 2nd room smelled almost as bad. It is pet friendly and maybe that's why. If you do decide to stay there, visit the Mellow Mushroom. It's next to the hotel, it has great pizza, good service. also don't plan on using their outdoor pool, it had a green film on the bottom of the pool.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

As me and my wife traveled north we decided to stop in Florence as it was a mid-way point. However, I wish we had not. Our room was located on the second fl. Our room had a musty mold smell in the room, AC very loud, carpet felt damp and wet, everything in the room was very damp and wet even the sheets. As I woke in the middle of the night, I spotted an un-wanted visitor in the bathroom. As we pulled up to the hotel from the outside hotel looks very old and worn out. But we figured it was only for 1 night and for 30 years have always trusted the Marriott name. Explained to Desk Clerk at check out the issues we experienced as she replied "we could have moved your room". Not sure it any other would have been any better.

Only good things,it was right 95, staff was friendly, and breakfast had plenty to choose from.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Rarely have I been so unhappy with a hotel stay, and to top it off we are long-time Marriott Rewards members. Where do I start? Well, to begin with, this place was never meant to be a Marriott establishment. It was obviously built to be one of those $30 per night, third-rate motels. All the rooms are accessed from the outside with the interior of each room being micro-sized. We had the unique experience of using the smallest bathroom (even for Europe) that we had ever encountered. The AC window unit could not have been louder and more annoying. The towels were threadbare and the table light was burned out. There was an insidious mildew odor in the carpet. And to top it all off, the hotel is situated at the back of a large shopping mall directly across from a derelict, abandoned building. In this setting, and in this town with a very high crime rate, I would not let my wife walk outside alone. If it wasn't so unsettling, I would have almost laughed at wondering if we were on some sort of "Candid Camera" joke where we were told we were staying at a Marriott - only to be confronted with a flea bag experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is an older property, the staff go out of their way to be helpful and are courteous. The breakfast was top notch. The scramble eggs were done just right and the sausage was tasty. One of the things I look for at a breakfast is how watered down the OJ is, theirs was not watered down at all.

Now for the unpleasant part. When entering my room it had a musty odor. I assumed it would go away after running the A/C but it did not. I should of requested another room but was too tired to do so. I turned the air off when I went for breakfast the next morning and when I returned the musty moldy odor was gone. I told the front desk as I checked out I thought the air conditioning unit needed to be cleaned or replaced as it was noisy also. So that is why I rated it poor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed for only one night, on our way back north. The property was easy to find however I wish I could have lost the room. We stayed on the second level, the first and the second floor do remind me of a motel with external doors. The third having interior doors. Being a Marriott, I expected a lot better and was disappointed. The first thing you notice is the musty smell, it was so bad that after about 5 hours of sleep my wife went to the car to sleep. There was no mini fridge, no micro and no coffee maker in room. Marriott should ask the owner to ship up or change the name. I plan on saving this location on my google maps, so I could remember to avoid it.

My only positive note, it was easy on and off I-95.

Renter beware.

Room Tip: I guess, only guess, that the third floor may be better.