“Clean and spacious” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Midlothian, Virginia
“Clean and spacious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I had a room with a King bed. The room was large and the sofa was very nice to have there. Price very reasonable. I have stayed in Country Inn once before years ago (not this location). I was satisfied then and was now as well. The friendly staff was a plus.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Triangle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This was a great place to stay. Got a good rate with my reward points. My son really liked the free cookies and the free breakfast. Close to restaurants. Liked the location since it was right off the interstate. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Woodbridge, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel on 2 separate occasions during the week before Christmas. I rate it very good based on our interaction with the staff. Further, the hot breakfast was good. They offered waffles (make your own), scrambled eggs, meat (ham on one occasion, sausage on the other), oatmeal, bagels, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea, juice...etc.

On the first occasion, the room was clean and neat. On the second occasion, the room wasn't completely tidy. We arrived very late and didn't feel like complaining because it wasn't too bad. We always take Lysol wipes with us and took 4 or 5 minutes to clean the counters, knobs, and tables and then felt perfectly comfortable. It was enough to bump down my rating from excellent to very good.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 209 is a good room for someone who is physically challenged. It is large and the shower has gri...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Roanoke, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The afternoon we arrived the staff welcomed us with coffee and fresh cookies. The room was very nice and comfy. Breakfast was outstanding with many great food options!!! One thing to mention however, we had a sense of being in a bad part of town because they have a security vehicle on site as well as a secure check in window for after hours check in's. ??? We did not experience any trouble, but you get the feeling they have had trouble in the past...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to Florida for Thanksgiving. Easy access to I-95. Close to lots of places to eat. This reservation was made online and I was not given the option of choosing a non smoking room, so I just assumed I would be asked at check in. Upon entering our room their was a STRONG overpowering smell of cigar! No way were we staying in that! Even the housekeeper working across the hall said she could smell it from the door! Down the the front desk to request a new room. This was accomplished easily without question by the front desk attendant. Our second room was clean, and very spacious. We had no complaints. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stopped at this hotel driving north from Florida along I-95. It was very late when we arrived. Upon arrival we were welcomed by a woman at the front desk who had a terrible attitude. My wife and I considered leaving and finding another hotel, however it was after midnight. We felt the front desk person didn't like northerners or white people.

The hotel hallway was dirty, the carpets were stained. Our room smelled of smoke and mold. The sheets had yellow stains.

We checked out the next morning. When I received my credit card bill, I was charged an additional $150. Apparently I was charged for smoking in the room. I DO NOT SMOKE. THE ROOM SMEELED OF SMOKE WHEN I ARRIVED. The staff at the hotel was very cool to my wife and I.

Based on the experience I will never stay a another Carlson hotel again. Racism comes in all colors. I have filed a complaint with my credit card company.

Room Tip: This is a terrible hotel. Dirty, smelled, terrible breakfast. The staff was very unfriendly. If y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Raybeam76
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Florence, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. Also, we are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, including the stained sheets and carpet and smoky smell. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards.
Walterboro, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

After a long day my family and I were getting ready to turn in. I pulled back the sheets and just as I was getting into my bed, I saw this huge brown stain and hair in on the sheets. I almost threw up. Now it's 11:30 pm so I call the front desk and they sent someone up. The young lady was already off work, but wouldn't leave until my bed was fixed and fixed right. I spoke with management and they refunded my first nights visit, but that didn't make up for the fact that I felt like I had bugs crawling all over me the entire time. Whomever cleaned the room failed to notice that in the dresser drawers there was food and trash left behind. Over all cleanliness of the hotel was poor. Would not recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Angela R
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, including stained sheets with hair and leftover trash. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards