“Very Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Florida
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We have been travelling the I-95 corridor for years. Red Roof in Florence SC has been a great stop. I was always trained that "nothing is perfect". Therefore the Very Good rating. Staff and Management has always been accommodating. The updated hotel is sooo nice.
Ms Sally

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MnMpups
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you so much for your response regarding your stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.

Red Roof Inn Florence, SC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I've stayed here twice on the DC-Tampa route, once in November '12, and again in August '13. Had an excellent experience both times, and recommend this motel as an overnight stop, with just a few caveats. First, the good:

Check-in was fast and easy; I had booked a "superior" room via the AAA website. The superior rooms seem to be in a rear building, perpendicular with the main one. They gave me a first floor this time, which made getting luggage into the room very easy. It is also nice to park right outside your door if you have a car full of valuables. The room was as before: spacious, comfortable, and clean. The king bed has a good mattress and bedding, lots of pillows, and the A/C-heat could be set to the exact temp you want. Bathroom is small, but shower is excellent, with separate sink and large countertop outside. I especially like the work-desk and office chair for checking email, etc. Wi-fi was easy, and a fairly good connection. Flatscreen TV worked fine, and fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker are pleasant amenities. The room smelled great.

Downsides are minor, and include a slight difficulty in locating the place. It is very close to I-95, but you need to make a slight dog-leg to get there. It's not that hard, and you can also use Google Street View to scope it out beforehand. Slightly harder after dark, especially for a first timer. Getting back onto 95 is a cinch. There is also NO breakfast of any kind (your in-room coffeemaker and free lobby coffee notwithstanding), but at these rates, it's cheaper to just stop at a nearby cafe, or fast food place. There are quite a few choices. They also tack a $1.50 "safe charge" onto your bill, which they removed upon request (just don't touch the safe).

All in all, this seems like a reasonably safe area, commercially saturated, with restaurants and stores everywhere you look. There's a large shopping mall across the main street (Route 20). Walking anywhere is a bit tough, but it's a short drive to anything. However, there is a gas station with large convenience store about 75 feet away, handy for drinks, snacks, and packaged food. The Inn is pet-friendly, and you see people walking their dogs, but I did not hear any barking or other noises either time I stayed.

Although an identical room at the Red Roof cost 32% more in August than the previous November ($70 vs. $53), I still feel like this is one of the best overnight bargains at an I-95 mid-point. For a quiet and comfortable night's sleep at a below-market-rate price, this is a winner.

Room Tip: "Superior" rooms are definitely superior. Ask for ground floor if you have lots of luggage...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MrNuz
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. I appreciate guest feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Thank you again!

Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Right price for a clean convenient place. Convenient from the highway and convenient to many, many restaurants and stores. Bed was very comfortable. AC worked great. We would definitely stay again. This is the right place to stop, coming from CT going to central FL. it is further than the 1/2 way point, which we wanted to be so we had a shorter 2nd day drive to get to our destination.
I didnt get ANY kind of feeling of a "sketchy" area at all. all people we encountered were pleasant. Also, the previous review regarding a cigarette smell I believe could be misinterpreted. The rooms were very recently renovated and to me it seems more like the rubber smell you get from new carpet installation. I have had to recarpet my work's office, so I am familiar with that and my office had the same smell for a little while. It really isnt worth mentioning, but I guess some people have hyper sensitive smelling senses. A bonus to this hotel is they accept pets.

Room Tip: we found convenience in the ground level room so we can park right outside our room and not have to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deanna H
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay.

Sincerely.

Conyers, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

There are signs in the lobby, outside, in the rooms, but 100% smoke-free wasn't. The room stank of stale cigarette smoke. The rooms look semi-new. The area is sketchy. We stayed on a Friday night and my husband took the dog for a short walk. He returned and said we'd never stay here again. I got about an hour of sleep. I recently quit smoking, so the smell was absolutely torture, but I also didn't want to go outside. The room felt dirty, maybe it was just the odor or the carpet. We cranked the AC to try to get the smell out, but it didn't help much. The sink was cracked. The bathroom was clean. Easy on/off I-20 and I-95. Next time, we will just drive straight there and not stop.

Room Tip: We stayed on the bottom floor at the very back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Please accept my most sincerest apologies for your unpleasant experience This is in no way our standards and is unacceptable. I would like to thank you for your comments, and the issues will be addressed immediately.

Red Roof Inn Florence, SC

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have stayed here on two occasions and each time was very comfortable. The rooms are a good bargain and very clean. One big benefit as well is that it is close to all kinds of restaurants and stores. A Target, Best Buy, and Barnes and Noble are just across the street. I travel quite a bit up to the DC area and this is the perfect stop off on my way up.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike F
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. Is always great to have returning guest pleased with what we have to offer at this location. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Red Roof Inn Florence,SC
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Hotel rooms have been redone and they a clean and modern. Area of hotel is a bit sketchy. The appeared to be places to eat, but we got in late and left early. Great bargain and nice hotel for travelers with pets.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your business and am glad that you found our pet friendly hotel to satisfy your needs. Thank you again.

Red Roof Florence, SC
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here for the first time in December, 2012 for one night while returning from Florida to Delaware with our Yorkie. I was pleasantly surprised once I entered my room. Yes, this is an old-style hotel probably built in the 60's, but it has been very nicely refurbished. I had no complaints at all with the room, and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom is still the same size as before the renovation, but it otherwise bears little resemblance to its former self. I would venture to say that this is one of the better properties in the chain. There's not much I can say about the exterior areas, and the rooms open to exterior corridors. Otherwise I would have given this place five stars.

Room Tip: Make sure you reserve a superior room if you want things like a refrigerator and coffee maker in the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple