“Fun, clean, good value, great beach”
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Massachusetts
“Fun, clean, good value, great beach”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Tides is a large hotel right on Folly Beach. The accommodations are equivalent to a Holiday Inn. The staff are very hospitable and helpful. The beach is beautiful with nice surf and dolphins swimming just off shore. The bar and outdoor bar have very reasonable prices. Tides is perfect for families and young people.

Room Tip: Ocean side
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Tides Folly Beach and for contributing such a good review! We are happy that you found your accommodations comfortable, the restaurant enjoyable and the staff hospitable. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Knoxville, Tn
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Actually being a GM at a small hotel, I know what it's like on the other side of the desk, and I probably have higher expectations than most. From the moment I made reservation with Eric, everything was beyond excellent. (Tip for those booking online: If you find a better deal through Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, etc., it is ALWAYS better to book through the hotel and ask if they can match the rate). I did find a better rate through Hotels.com, and Eric was only too obliging to match it.

When we got to the hotel, we arrived three hours before check in. We phoned first to see if they had rooms clean, and my husband spoke to Beth who assured us that it was off season and they definitely could get us in a room early.

We checked in with Beth right away, and we asked her opinion on the best room. She put us on the 5th floor in a room overlooking both sides of the pier, which was fantastic.

The room was immaculate and the beds were actually very comfortable. The entire staff that we encountered were very friendly and constantly asked how we were doing.

The only negative I encountered during our trip was not knowing what time the Sugar Shack closed, we got there 2 minutes before 8 and it was already locked up. We decided to go over to Blu to see if they could still serve ice cream (it's listed on the dessert menu, but does say it comes from the Sugar Shack), and we were told it shouldn't be a problem and that they keep ice cream in the kitchen. So we sat at the bar and asked the bartender, and he went to find out, and came back to tell us that the Sugar Shack had already closed (which obviously we knew). I guess the hostess was just misinformed, so we just ended up walking up to the nearby gas station and getting ice cream from there.

All of the positives far outweighed the negative, and I will definitely stay here again.

Also, when we were checking out, Miranda was very friendly as well. Incredibly impressive hotel, and even more so impressed by the staff. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a superb review and for your compliments regarding Erik, Beth and Miranda. Each of them was very pleased to have left such a positive impression on you! We are all happy that you found your accommodations comfortable and thank you for reserving your room directly through the hotel.

The hours the Sugar Shack is open depends on the season. This time of the year, the Sugar Shack is open from 7am-8pm on weekdays and from 7am-9pm on weekends. Even if the Sugar Shack is closed, if Blu Restaurant & Bar is open, a staff member from the restaurant is more than willing to open the shop for our guests. We regret, in this case, that this option was not offered but I assure all reading this review that this has been addressed with all staff members and will not be an issue with future guests.

Thank you, again, for choosing Tides Folly Beach and we look forward seeing you on your next trip to Folly Beach!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2011

My husband and I reserved a room from Friday night to Wednesday morning in September 2011. Our first night we decided to drive to a concert in Newberry SC and stayed in a room there. Upon arriving on Saturday morning at Tides Folly I had teased my husband stating that we were staying at Bob's Motel on the beach. Told him that it was only $30 per night and he kept asking if I was crazy. I told him that it was a family owned motel and that it was part of a Travelocity deal. He was really sweating bullets. When we arrived in town, drove down the adorable street leading into the tiny town and drove up to a gorgeous high-rise hotel. Slightly out of place for this party-hippy-vibe type town. It was like a ruby set on a gorgeous sterling silver ring. Both are gorgeous and stunning but put together makes for a beautiful combination.
We stopped at the end of Center Street after passing bars, hip eateries, souvenir shops, outdoor activities shops. Here gazing up at this high-rise, my husband (I think with a tear in his eyes said "Do we turn right or left?" I told him to drive straight ahead into the Tides parking lot.
He said "ARE YOU KIDDING". He was quite pleased not to be staying at Bob's Motel. He was more pleased to be staying at Tides Folly. The first person we encountered was Sara at the reservation desk. The room was ready and they were so pleasant and eager for us to be there. We went up and were very pleased with our room. The room was obviously recently renovated. The decor was contemporary and the view was incredible. It had a Juliet balcony which was just big enough to place a couple of chairs on it. The a/c ran great, they must keep the pet rooms separate from the regular rooms and if not there was absolutely no indication that pets had ever stayed in our room. All were non-smoking rooms to boot. The room had a wonderful flat screen TV, HBO, pay per view new movies, and a very informative channel related to the hotel, Charleston, Folly Beach and popular activities and restaurants. I had Sunday Brunch downstairs at the BLU. It was delish. I had never had Chantilly cream with berries. The food was varied and all was very delish. The only thing that the waitress had to do was to fill my water glass but evidently that was too much to handle. I deliberately left a minimal tip and when I went to the restroom I mentioned to her to please save my table and my water. Upon returning, the table was dirty and my water gone. No problem, I just moved outside to a pool side chair and asked for another water. This was the most negative moment of our stay. Since it was mid September it was less crowded on the beach and around the pool. There was a formal wedding on the beach that night. People swimming in the Atlantic. The pier next door was lit all night and was stunning. Room service was good. The room had a small fridge, a hair dryer and lots of large fluffy towels. The beds were soft and scrumptious. It was a wonderful stay, especially for the view and the nice treatment. Upon checking out, Miranda helped me with my flight check-in and boarding pass. All the people who worked at the hotel seemed very happy and were extremely professional and friendly. South Carolina, folly beach in particular has a friendly southern hospitality hotel with a gorgeous view of the Atlantic.

Room Tip: There is a flat $85 charge for a pet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
This is one of the most colorful reviews I believe I’ve ever read! Thank you for this contribution and for painting such a vivid picture of your vacation. We have all enjoyed reading it. Thank you for your compliments of our staff, Sara and Miranda specifically. They greatly appreciate your recognition of their efforts. We’re happy that you found your room to be so comfortable, clean and cozy. Thank you for dining with us at Blu Restaurant and Bar and please accept our apologies for providing a level of service unequal to that of the rest of your stay. I sincerely hope we will have another opportunity to WOW you in every facet of your next trip to the Edge of America. Should you wish to discuss your stay in further detail, I encourage you to contact us directly and we will be happy to hear your story again and again!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 September 2011

This hotel is located on a really expanisve beach, and all the rooms are oceanview. Folly Beach is a really small beach community with shops and restaurants along one main street that ends at the hotel. The second largest fishing pier on the east coast is next to the hotel. The hotel staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The hotel is pleasant and moderate overall. It's restaurant, Blu, is really upscale. The food is a bit pricey, but it is absolutely excellent as they have an incredibly good chef. We happened to be there the one Thursday a month they have their "chef's selection". They paired fine wines with various small courses throughout the evening. It was an awesome experience!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us at Tides Folly Beach! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to contribute such a fine review on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled you had the opportunity to experience our monthly Mercy of the Chef event and we hope your endorsement will encourage others to not only stay at Tides Folly Beach on their vacation but to try our Blu during their stay as well. Thank you, again, and we look forward to being your hotel of choice on your next visit to the Lowcountry!
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I was very impressed with The Tides on Folly beach. We usually stay on isle of palms and we decided to take a last minute trip. The hotel we usually stay at on Isle of Palms was really high and did not have any Ocean front rooms. The tides was wayyy cheaper so i was a bit apprehensive. Its a much better hotel at a way better rate. It has awesome beach access and a nice pool area with big loungers and all the towels you need around the pool. The restaurant is ocean front and the prices are good! The room was clean and spacious. The only thing i wish it had that it didnt was a jacuzzi. But You cant beat the price or the location. We walked across the street to a great restaurant the first night with live music. Had a great time!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for making Tides Folly Beach your beachfront hotel of choice on your recent visit to the Lowcountry and for writing this glowing review on Tripadvisor! We are very happy that you got to experience all the various amenities at the hotel, including Blu Restaurant & Bar, as well as the town of Folly Beach. We look forward to seeing you again on your next vacation!
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We chose this hotel because it was the only pet friendly, oceanfront hotel we could find close to Charleston. We have stayed at many "pet friendly" hotels because we travel alot with our little dog and I have to say this was the most pet and people friendly hotel we have ever stayed at!! Most of hotels that offer pet friendly accommodations, we have found, would rather you not to have your pet in the lobby or in front of the hotel which we can understand because there are some people who do not like animals so we always felt like we had to hide and rush our little one in and out of the building. Not at the Tides. We tried to use the side door whenever possible as to not to disturb other guests but when we did use the main lobby, we were always greeted by someone at the desk and asked about our dog. I cannot tell you how wonderful that made us feel. YOUR STAFF IS GREAT!! The only problem we had at the hotel was the parking. Some nights we had to park on the street because lot was full. I was going to give a rating of 4 stars because of the lack of parking but I cannot because of, once again, THE STAFF. You have a wonderful group of employees and if I could, I would give them 10 stars!! Thank you very much for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! It was a pleasure having you, your husband and your little Yorkie stay with us at Tides Folly Beach. I have passed along your compliments to our entire team and they were excited to receive such high praise!

For the problems you experienced in finding a parking space, we sincerely apologize. Should you or any future guest reading this review have difficulties finding a parking space at any time during your visit, please pull into our lot and come to the front desk. One of our staff members will be more than willing to locate a parking space for you.

Again, it was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to your next visit to the Edge of America!
California
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This was our first time with a water front ocean view room. Great. Everyone is so nice and helpful. FYI-pets are aloud at this hotel, but you wouldn't know it because you never hear any of them. The lobby is great to look at. Ideally set on the large flat clean beach. This is the main reason you come to this hotel is for the location. There are lifeguards right there. Bring towels for the beach (Walmart is about 10 mins away) The towels the hotel offers are more like hand towels to prevent theft I would believe. And while you are there EAT at the hotel restaurant - The Blu. EVERYTHING is great at a great price. The chef even served us at our table. 5 star restaurant at a 3 star price.

Room Tip: Bring a blanket or towels for the beach. Request a room above the 4th floor to get the best view...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for taking the opportunity to write such a great review of Tides Folly Beach and Blu Restaurant! We are all very grateful that your first memory of an oceanfront room is with us and we look forward to making memories with you for many years to come!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
#4 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!