“Great staff! Poor accommodations”
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great staff! Poor accommodations”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I am generally not hard to please, but this place has taken its share of wear and tear. A plus is that it is pet friendly like most of Folly which I like although we left our fido at home. The rooms have the strangest flushing toilets as one reviewer mentioned. The ceilings at the seams all need desperate painting. The brown spots on the bathroom ceiling I can classify them as mold but I'd just be happy if they bleached the heck out of them and then put some kilz ceiling paint on them. The pillows as were mentioned are terrible, it is the whole two pillows is too high and hard and one pillow is too flat and hard. I think we did pay the two twenty five a night, I'll have to look for the 99 per night rate in the future. We split Spring break between here and Savannah so I was stuck with hotel versus week to week condo. The restaurant attached is nice. While others have mentioned the restaurant as overpriced we found by the time you went anywhere and had a couple of drinks and an appetizer and entrees you were at 55-65. The bright spot at the hotel is the staff. Amanda was very accommodating and all of her eatery suggestions were great and Jordan did a fantastic job checking us in. While they have a great front desk manager, I would promote Amanda to that job on the days that one wasn't working! The view from the room is nice, having the sliding door open and hearing the ocean was nice. I would agree with other reviewers though, it is very tired and worn, in need of repair and on Folly Beach you come here to sit by the ocean and go to bars. I am thinking great Spring Break spot and good for the adults who want to still go to bars and relax a little on the beach.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frank S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at the Tides on Folly Beach, SC during my kids spring break April 2014. The hotel was in the perfect location - next to the pier and directly on the beach. The inside and outside of the hotel were clean and the staff was friendly & helpful. However, our room was simply a standard hotel room with two double beds with a standard bathroom. Although the room itself was clean, the bath towels and cloths were stained and had me wondering if I just wasn't looking close enough. I really "wanted" it to be excellent, because the staff an appeal of the hotel itself made me want it to be - but it definitely was NOT worth the rate per night it cost. I must say the best thing about the hotel itself was the shower in our bathroom. It was the BEST water pressure I have EVER had at any hotel I've stayed in around the world! I don't know if it was the Moen shower head or what, but I hated having to get out of the shower each time! I felt like I got a daily massage just from standing under the spray in the shower! The pool area was beautiful, and the lounges very comfortable - and directly oceanfront. There was a coffee shop off the Lobby that served Starbucks coffee - but we enjoyed having our own Starbucks packets of coffee provided in our room each day to brew our own. That was a nice perk! I would stay here again, but only if the cost were a bit lower, and I might bring my own towels.

Room Tip: Our room was a double queen oceanfront and had a balcony, but there were no chair to sit in on the b...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AWorthyTraveler
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Excellent and friendly staff. .................... Excellent bar, pool, and beach access. Okay food service and food ............... Crummy room - definitely not worth the $. ...............Find a condo.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Melanie13_2014
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for your compliments of our staff, the food at Blu Restaurant and Bar and the amenities we offer at Tides Folly Beach. I encourage the author of this review to contact me directly so we can discuss the details of what made their room “crummy” during their stay.
New Hudson, Michigan
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

For $227/night, not worth the money. Unfortunately we stayed 2 nights.
Black mold in bathroom, toilet would flush randomly, towels were stained, pillows were like sleeping on a brick, sheets were also disgustingly stained, flooring was dirty, walls were thin AND room was not made up the next day.
However, beautiful ocean view, easy access to beach, lunch on patio was lovely and food was very good, hotel staff were friendly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bella462008
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Tides Folly Beach and for your compliments of our location, food, and staff. I understand your disappointment with regards to the linens and condition of your bathroom during your stay. Anyone would be disappointed at these conditions regardless of rate. I want to reassure all who read this review that this matter has been addressed with all applicable staff members and managers to ensure this level of service is not repeated with our future guests. I encourage the author of this review to contact me directly should they wish to discuss their stay with us in more detail.
michigan
Reviewed 11 April 2014

You can't beat the location at Tides. If you are planning on staying on Folly Beach for a few days all you need to do is park your car, drop your bags in the room and enjoy. You can walk to pretty much every restaurant, bar, or spot on the island from the Tides, and the Folly Beach pier is right outside your door. We had breakfast there one morning which was reasonably priced and ordered food at the outdoor bar one afternoon (the nachos were amazing). We visited other local establishments for the rest of our meals. The rooms were ok, nothing great, but we were only in the room to sleep, so it was certainly adequate. The views were great from the room, as was the sound of the ocean at night. We did not spend any time at the pool but would recommend it for families as there were usually kids there enjoying the fun in the sun. We headed to the beach each day and rented chairs from Jake right in front of the hotel. Definitely recommend it! The staff at Tides was very friendly. There are plenty of houses for rent in the area, but we preferred the convenience of the hotel and it's perfect location.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront! The higher the better in our opinion.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdb2005
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Tides during your recent vacation and for all your compliments of our property, food, and especially the staff! I am also happy to read what you wrote regarding the rooms. While we are very proud of the work we’ve done to keep them updated, modern, and comfortable and clean, we want our guests to come for the entire experience of Folly Beach. There is so much to do and so much to see so, please, heed the advice of the author of this review; get out and about and have some fun! We look forward to being your hotel of choice on future visits to the Lowcountry.
Bethel, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Small, boring rooms. Not much to do except go to bars. Food was expensive (spent more than budget). Staff was either down-to-Earth or hated their job. Made the best of a trip for a bunch of college kids, but spent more time in the room than expected

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BBHair
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Folly Beach offers a plethora of activities for people of all ages and interests including, but not limited to kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing, surf lessons, historic tours, lighthouse boat tours, charter fishing, scooter and bike rentals, historic homes tours, art galleries, dolphin excursions, live music, swimming, a county park, and much more. I’m disappointed to read that the author of this review couldn’t find activities that fit their interests. I’d love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail so please do not hesitate to contact me directly at your earliest convenience.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We took advantage of the recent Travel Zoo rate of $99/night. If I had paid the standard $275/night I would have been in tears. We took our kids out of school for 2 days to go enjoy a couple days away at Folly. We love Folly and go done a couple times a year. The 2 reasons we chose Tides was location and a heated pool. Well the location is great, but that is the only thing enjoyable. The staff was friendly and they did come quickly when we called because of a toilet overflowing (twice), the tub backing up and the tv not properly working. After all this, we still planned to make the best of it, until I discovered the sign that the pool heater was broken! We still made the best of it, flying kites on a cold windy day and walking to the park, etc. But when my 5 year old son said "I'm done, I want to go home", it broke my heart. We left a day early and when I expressed my disappointment, all they offered was a sorry. They wouldn't refund anything because the voucher with Travel Zoo is non-refundable, I get it, but they could of have done something. I contacted Travel Zoo who was also no help. So Travel Zoo and Tides Folly we will no longer need your services! Use your hard earned money to rent a house or condo!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank AbRR1981
Thank you for taking advantage of our spring special and choosing to stay with us at Tides Folly Beach. For your compliments of our staff and how they handled the issues expressed in the body of your review, I thank you.

It is very unfortunate that so many maintenance-related issues occurred during one visit. The problems mentioned in this review are not the norm and we do work as quickly as possible to resolve them when they do occur. We are in the process of replacing the current television system with something much more comprehensive and less glitchy. The pool heater is working properly and plumbing issues are handled immediately upon report.

I am sorry that your recent experience has soured your opinion of our property but your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and I encourage you to contact me directly and, perhaps, we can discuss the opportunity of a second chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
#4 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!