“good location and nice pool, housekeeping not great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Durham, North Carolina
“good location and nice pool, housekeeping not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The hotel is in a good location on the beach and was overall pretty comfortable, even though it needs some updating. However, the housekeeping wasn't great. The floor was sandy when we checked in and there was one day when they skipped our room entirely. When we mentioned it at the front desk, they sent someone up while we were at dinner, so that turned out OK. The pool was nice, heated salt water, and we spent a lot of time there, despite the cold weather. They kept running out of pool towels though. We asked for a quiet room, as we have a baby who tends to wake easily at night, and they put us on the eighth floor which was perfect for minimizing the music and pool noise from below. The folks who work at the front desk were very friendly and helpful.

2 Thank soydog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Charleston, WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Hotel, especially stairwell dirty, steps dangerous, as metal edges are tearing away. Have stayed here 4 times in past, this trip was horrible. One day housekeeping very late. Another day came in at 4:35, no housekeeping. Spoke with front desk, towels and 1 washcloth brought, no toiletries. Went to dinner, returned at 10:00 PM. Still no housekeeping. Went to front desk, .Jordan very nice, offered a $30 refund, after Jay said nothing they could do. He asked I write down info with my phone # as we were leaving early next morning, and someone from management would call. Still no call. Went to restaurant one morning for breakfast, staff appeared putout that we did not want buffet, finally brought one menu. Couple beside us asked for menu, and waiter just told them what was available, they finally went to hostess stand and found one themselves. I do believe, because they are only hotel in the area, the sense of hospitality has gone out the window, and it is now just greed. From now on, will consider VRBO, or stay downtown.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sonrisesonset
Red Wing, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

The pictures don't do this location justice. The hotel was much nicer than expected. The staff was kind and incredibly helpful, Pool was great, beach was nice, tiki bar and gas fire pits rocked!! Everyone there was friendly and treated us well. Folly Beach is this great little village, easy going, laid back fabulous location. We walked along main street - eating at the Crab Shack and then stumbled upon some great folk music and a little country next door (what a fun surprise) and then breakfast at the Lost Dog. Both were very good. Great Bloody Mary at the Lost Dog:) Great shops - we also took in some great music at one of the local bars. Two piece band, the two guys were great. I wish I could remember thier names. Top floor of a bar that has indoor/outdoor seating.

I highly recommend. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean:) you can't go wrong here.
1 Thank LMS1969
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I am generally not hard to please, but this place has taken its share of wear and tear. A plus is that it is pet friendly like most of Folly which I like although we left our fido at home. The rooms have the strangest flushing toilets as one reviewer mentioned. The ceilings at the seams all need desperate painting. The brown spots on the bathroom ceiling I can classify them as mold but I'd just be happy if they bleached the heck out of them and then put some kilz ceiling paint on them. The pillows as were mentioned are terrible, it is the whole two pillows is too high and hard and one pillow is too flat and hard. I think we did pay the two twenty five a night, I'll have to look for the 99 per night rate in the future. We split Spring break between here and Savannah so I was stuck with hotel versus week to week condo. The restaurant attached is nice. While others have mentioned the restaurant as overpriced we found by the time you went anywhere and had a couple of drinks and an appetizer and entrees you were at 55-65. The bright spot at the hotel is the staff. Amanda was very accommodating and all of her eatery suggestions were great and Jordan did a fantastic job checking us in. While they have a great front desk manager, I would promote Amanda to that job on the days that one wasn't working! The view from the room is nice, having the sliding door open and hearing the ocean was nice. I would agree with other reviewers though, it is very tired and worn, in need of repair and on Folly Beach you come here to sit by the ocean and go to bars. I am thinking great Spring Break spot and good for the adults who want to still go to bars and relax a little on the beach.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frank S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at the Tides on Folly Beach, SC during my kids spring break April 2014. The hotel was in the perfect location - next to the pier and directly on the beach. The inside and outside of the hotel were clean and the staff was friendly & helpful. However, our room was simply a standard hotel room with two double beds with a standard bathroom. Although the room itself was clean, the bath towels and cloths were stained and had me wondering if I just wasn't looking close enough. I really "wanted" it to be excellent, because the staff an appeal of the hotel itself made me want it to be - but it definitely was NOT worth the rate per night it cost. I must say the best thing about the hotel itself was the shower in our bathroom. It was the BEST water pressure I have EVER had at any hotel I've stayed in around the world! I don't know if it was the Moen shower head or what, but I hated having to get out of the shower each time! I felt like I got a daily massage just from standing under the spray in the shower! The pool area was beautiful, and the lounges very comfortable - and directly oceanfront. There was a coffee shop off the Lobby that served Starbucks coffee - but we enjoyed having our own Starbucks packets of coffee provided in our room each day to brew our own. That was a nice perk! I would stay here again, but only if the cost were a bit lower, and I might bring my own towels.

Room Tip: Our room was a double queen oceanfront and had a balcony, but there were no chair to sit in on the b...
2 Thank AWorthyTraveler
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Excellent and friendly staff. .................... Excellent bar, pool, and beach access. Okay food service and food ............... Crummy room - definitely not worth the $. ...............Find a condo.

3 Thank Melanie13_2014
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for your compliments of our staff, the food at Blu Restaurant and Bar and the amenities we offer at Tides Folly Beach. I encourage the author of this review to contact me directly so we can discuss the details of what made their room “crummy” during their stay.
New Hudson, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

For $227/night, not worth the money. Unfortunately we stayed 2 nights.
Black mold in bathroom, toilet would flush randomly, towels were stained, pillows were like sleeping on a brick, sheets were also disgustingly stained, flooring was dirty, walls were thin AND room was not made up the next day.
However, beautiful ocean view, easy access to beach, lunch on patio was lovely and food was very good, hotel staff were friendly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bella462008
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Tides Folly Beach and for your compliments of our location, food, and staff. I understand your disappointment with regards to the linens and condition of your bathroom during your stay. Anyone would be disappointed at these conditions regardless of rate. I want to reassure all who read this review that this matter has been addressed with all applicable staff members and managers to ensure this level of service is not repeated with our future guests. I encourage the author of this review to contact me directly should they wish to discuss their stay with us in more detail.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!