Tides Folly Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
John Rutledge House Inn(Charleston)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Wentworth Mansion(Charleston)
1,426 results
All reviewsblu restaurantocean frontoutdoor barsmall balconyheated poolrestaurants and shopscharleston areathe location is perfectoff seasonsouth carolinasouthern hospitalitybeach accessoceanfront roombeachypets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Not recommended for events, especially weddings.Many mistakes on the hotel's part and great lack of communication along the way. Best part of the stay was our reception at Blu restaurant. I was a very calm bride, but the average bride would have created quite a scene at what we dealt with.

First of all, the hotel completely failed to mention that the beach was undergoing a huge renourishment project. I was unaware until my photographer (a local vendor) called me the Tuesday before. It took multiple calls to actually get a response from anyone at the hotel about the affect of this construction on our stay. And forget about talking to the hotel manager, he isn't even located on the property.

We were coming in from out of town. We booked in November and were married this weekend. Our event planner was out of town on the day of our event and didn't bother telling me until I asked to meet her upon our arrival to discuss the details of our ceremony. I had to ask for a new point of contact since she would not be there and was told if anything went wrong I could contact the front desk. When we arrived, we asked to speak to another event planner. They called someone else, but she still offered little information. It wasn't until the day before that we actually found out where the ceremony would be set up.

They booked another wedding right before ours and it ran late, literally ending 10 minutes before ours was starting. Because of the delay, the hotel left their decorations up at our ceremony. The tide was coming in and they failed to move the chairs and table up further. I watched from my hotel room as my husband ran in and out of the hotel looking for assistance with our setup, again, 10 minutes before our ceremony. No one went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed, but in fact we had to go out of our way to make sure everything was taken care of.

Our guests were promised a group rate, which they received, but we were not informed that the rooms would come with 2 double beds. We were never told this is what we were getting or given an option to have a king. Our guests would have gladly paid the difference to have what they needed. Even our rate as the couple was incorrect. The front desk receptionist suggested we contact the event planner, who was out of town. And be advised, you have to pay up front.

A few guests took wedding cake up to their room after our reception. On the day of checkout they left the room to pack up their car and have breakfast. They returned to the room to make sure they had everything and get the leftover cake, but it was gone. The housekeeper was already in the room. They asked her where it went and she said she didn't speak English. They asked another housekeeper to ask her where it was. At this point they could have cared less about the cake, but it was the principle. Finally, the housekeeper pulled the cake from a drawer in the dresser and handed it to them. I guess she planned on taking it home. Hopefully, food is the only item they take from rooms.

We were a small wedding, so I get that we may not have been top priority that weekend. However, for one weekend we spent well over $6,000. Brides, I highly recommend renting a house, hiring an officiant, and staying away from this hotel. They overlook more than the ocean, trust me. All you will get here is a $300 wedding chair rental, bottle of Barefoot Bubbly, and lots of frustration. Thank you Blu for a wonderful reception dinner. We will never give this hotel our business again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Brittany517
Reviewed 19 May 2014

On a recent trip to Charleston, we decided to stay on Folly Beach, and found the Tides. Glad we did. When we made reservations, we had asked for a room on an upper floor so we could enjoy the view and the front desk staff were more than happy to accomodate. We got a room on the 6th floor, and the views were great. We were able to open the patio doors and sleep at night with the sounds of the waves...very peaceful. It is a bit dated, and could use some repairs, but we didn't notice anything major. The fan in the bathroom didn't work, and a couple of the bulbs were burned out, but everything was extremely clean and the walls are thick, we never heard any voices or anything from other rooms, which happens frequently. Everyone we encountered that worked there were very friendly and helpful. Would I stay here again? Most definitly...can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor to experience the best views on the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank James F
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Fabulous vacation spot!! From the very first phone call placed for reservations, to our parting good byes, customer service here is beyond outstanding !!. We stayed here for four days and it surpassed my expectations. The rooms were absolutely immaculate, housekeeping does an excellent job!! Starbucks coffee available everyday down in the coffee shop. The pool is pristine, towels available as you go in. If I had to be hard pressed to make any complaint, it would be the cocktails available at the Tides restaurant "Blu" were over the top expensive but I realize it is at a high end hotel equaling high end prices. Besides that I give this place an absolute excellent rating. We would with no doubt come here again.

Room Tip: Ask if possible to be above the 5th floor, as their are large palm trees which could block the full beach view from your balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diane D
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the Tides in Folly Beach for 2 nights (a Monday/Tuesday stay) May 5 & 6th, 2014. I have previously stayed at the Tides; however, it was about 15 years ago. It was because of my last stay, that I had such great memories and couldn't wait to stay again. Next time, I may think twice about making another reservation here.

Why?
The Tides is the only beach front hotel on Folly Beach, SC, and that right away makes it great. It has a pool, coffee shop, and a restaurant on site. It has chaise lounges and umbrellas directly on the beach that it rents for $30 for the day. All sounds great.

But, then you get to your room. At first glance, it looks updated and fresh. Then you take a second glance. You notice they painted the walls a pretty seaglass blue, but they didn't remove the old wall paper border and just painted over it. They didn't remove the headboards and also painted those in places where their painter's tape must not have attached very well. The bath tub is bright and shiny white. Why? Because instead of removing the old tile, they added a tub insert and surround. But the quality of the insert isn't the best. There is a bubble in the center of the tub that while you're showering, you step on, and the surround doesn't quite cover the old tile behind it so you can see it around the last 2 inches of the surround. The fixtures are new, but the water pressure is horrible. Be careful of the temperature as well, it will either scald you or freeze you; it is hard to find the comfortable middle temperature. And vacuuming? The cleaning cart doesn't even have one for the carpeted bed area; just a Swiffer for the tile entry and bathroom. The room also had a chemical smell we couldn't get rid of no matter how much we ran the air, or opened the balcony doors.

So, if you're going to be spending a lot of time out of your room, and just want a beach front hotel with great beach access, and no fee parking, close to shopping and restaurants, the Tides is the perfect place. But if you think you are getting a 3+ star beach front hotel, think again.

Oh, and by the way, the two days we were there, we had a 3 foot metal pipe across the beach because they are pumping sand and recreating the beach since it was washed away by Hurricane Irene. So the view was quite ugly and you had little access to the beach and water. Guess what, no discount given either despite the fact this wasn't disclosed prior to our stay.

Very disappointed this trip. Please do your research and decide if this is what you are looking for before making your reservation.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean front and have their own Juliette balcony (meaning not big enough for chairs, only for standing)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank layla6202
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We chose to make Tides our last destination in our trip to Charleston, as we wanted to end the trip on the beach. We had requested a high floor and during check-in learned we were on the top floor (9th). The view from that high is pretty awesome and was exactly what we were hoping for. Our trip was mildly interrupted the next morning by 3 bull dozers on the beach directly in front of Tides! They were installing some beach re-nourishment piping, and it was going to take 2 to 7 days to complete - and we were only there for 2 more nights :(

My wife was pretty distraught over this, as the rooms were $260/night for the nights we were staying. The construction really did put a damper on the view as well as the beach access. The closest open beach was quite a few blocks away from the Tides - not a huge deal, but definitely something we didn't expect. We went down to discuss the construction with the Tides front desk to see if they even knew about this. Evidently, they were informed the night before, which is kind of crappy on the Folly Beach's part. Anyways, we talked to a front-desk supervisor named Kelly who was extremely understanding and was very willing to help us out and make us happy. She offered to take $100 a night off of the last two nights, which was pretty generous. And since the construction caused the beach chair rental to be non-existent, she offered a few lounge chairs they had behind the desk for us to use - very above and beyond what I normally receive from front desk people. I really appreciated this - so much so that we would stay here again if we are back in Charleston.

Aside from the construction (which was not Tides' fault), the stay there was really nice. I will try to summarize the pros and cons directly relating to our experience.

Pros:
- Excellent Views
- Excellent Location (the main street, Center St, dead ends into Tides)
- Very nice, courteous, and helpful staff (every staff member we ran into was nice)
- Room style/decor was nice - nothing over the top, but what you'd expect from a resort like this.
- All rooms are ocean front
- Nearly all bartenders were friendly and helpful in selecting the right drink.

Cons:
- Limited chairs at pool
- Our room's A/C was pretty loud - loud enough that I thought something was loose (we didn't end up calling anybody)
- Pillows were not very comfortable

This place is a solid 4, maybe 4.5.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tcontosta