“Mixed review of this hotel”
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Reviewed 3 June 2014

There are some good features about this hotel: 1) it is right on the beach. This is lovely. Even as a hotel guest and paying high prices for the room you have to pay for chairs on the beach. 2) the restaurant has good food. 3) the staff are so-so. Sometimes they go out of their way to help and some times they completely ignore you. Now the down sides: 1) as others have noted there is a complete lack of towels at this hotel. It is baffling. They have so few towels at the pool. We were there 4 days and never were able to get pool towels. They have a lack of towels in the rooms also so be careful if you give your towels up. 2) I was amazed that a dog pooped in the lobby and I told a bell hop about it. He said someone was coming to clean it up but he did not go direct people away from it. Other guests were warning each other but not the hotel staff. Now mind you, this is near the beach. People are walking bare foot around the hotel yet he did not want to go near the poop. 3) If you are there on the weekend beware of loud music at the outdoor bar. It gets very loud and some of the people are drinking too much. It is a deterrent for families. We saw a young women arrested on the beach as we passed through the bar area to the hotel. 4). The parking is limited as others have noted. The hotel is also an older model. Our room was clean.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sue S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Staff is very nice, room was dirty - sheets had stains, the toilet barely flushed and they ran out if towels at the pool both days we were there. They suggested using bath towels from our room. Hotel is outdated from the outside and I think you can get more for your money down the street at a different hotel.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Kellynicole87
Reviewed 29 May 2014

after recent reviews of this hotel I wanted to cancel my reservation. I am so glad that I didn't. We loved our stay here. Yes the property is older, but the rooms were very clean. The staff is wonderful. everyone greets you with a smile and hello. There were lots of places to eat nearby and a short drive into Charleston. Cant wait for our next trip to the tides of folly beach!

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have a great view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kristensmom02
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is an older property, which is being refurbished. It doesn't look like your typical hotel in 2014. But, so what? We found it to be clean and comfortable, and you can't beat the location right on the beach. The staff seem to be trained to go out of their way you be helpful and ensure you have a great stay. There is a very hip, informal, enthusiastic feel about the place. We were tired when we arrived, so we got room service from Blu, and ate it overlooking the beach. The food was delicious and very well prepared, much better than one would ever expect from hotel room service. They are pet friendly, which is an added bonus, as pet-friendly accommodations on the South Carolina coast are quite hard to find. We would absolutely stay and eat here again, and look forward to the next opportunity. Folly Beach is a pretty funky place, way nicer than more popular Myrtle Beach, and the locals are fun and friendly.

Room Tip: Higher Floors are preferred.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roger H
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Paradise awaits, every room with an ocean view, steps from the beach. No need to move your car once you arrive, and the best part pet friendly. We live in Asheville, NC so just 4 hours and we are here. It is like the beaches I remember from my youth, surf town with small shops and restaurants and dog friendly. love it will be back over and over again.

Room Tip: every room is wonderful
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Wonderful place to stay with friendly staff and clean rooms. Loved the view from our room as we could look out in the morning and see the sunrise and see the beautiful beach and pier. Very relaxing place to stay. Good location to walk to different locations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank IronsFamily
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The room was fine. The location is great. Restaurants and grocery store are within walking distance. I made my reservation on line for Saturday one night. I changed my reservation on line from one to two nights (Friday and Saturday). If you make your reservations on line you can only change them on line. (I called the motel trying to make this change.) Fortunately I had my paperwork from on line confirmation. When I went to check in I supposedly at first didn't have a reservation. Then they only found my first reservation for one night. Then they wanted to put me in one room type for 1 night and the confirmed room type for the following night. Which I refused. After a lot of discussion I finally had a room for the two nights like my confirmation. Since the room wasn't ready I put my name on a list and they called me once it came available. When they called me I went to check in and had to go throught the entire event again because they tried to say I only had one night. (Of cousre a different person was at the desk now then when I had checked in. At checkout I only had one night on my bill. After further discussion I had two separate bills one for each night. I only hope my credit card is billed for 2 days and not 3. My advice would be do not change your reservation once you have made it. I have never stayed in a hotel and all the nights stays not be on one bill. The whole experience was very frustrating.

Room Tip: My room was on the 6th floor it had a good view - no trees. The room was very quiet even though it...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!