“Decent Hotel, Excellent Location”
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel during a mostly-rainy week in July. The hotel lobby is impressive. The staff is exceptional. They take the term Southern Hospitality to the next level. Having an on-site coffee shop (Starbucks) was wonderful. The rooms are very clean, but reek of horrible lemon (?) air freshener. I asked the front desk to make a note not to use whatever it was, and it was fainter the next day. Upon arrival, it was unbearable. The views from the room were spectacular. We were on the 9th floor (highest) and it was beautiful. The room decor is beachy. Do not expect luxury, that isn't what you're going to get. It's clean. It's comfortable. The bathroom tub flooded no matter what. There was a crack somewhere that caused it to leak. The bathroom door stuck (probably due to humidity). One of the two elevators was out for most of our trip. The elevator repair man happened to be in our elevator one day and said they had to order the part. He also said the hotel called him immediately. Since he was an outside contractor who was explaining the situation, I take him at his word.

The pool is not as nice at it appears in photos. A little worn and over-run with children. The view almost makes up for it. Plus they have complementary sunscreen and water-this hotel does "the little things" very well. However, one major drawback to the pool would be the kids. Obviously, people have kids. However, the hotel's laid back vibe works to its disadvantage here. If you are without kids, this is not the pool you are going to relax next to with a drink in hand. Instead, you will be plagued with cannonballs and screaming kids. Suggestion alert/solution: I think the hotel should have a policy about "horse play" in the pool for the safety of the kids and the enjoyment of the other guests. There is no lifeguard on duty, which isn't a big deal. However, someone should be ensuring pool guests are behaving in an appropriate manner. Other guests remarked that it was difficult to enjoy a dip in the pool without being splashed. Indeed, I went to the outdoor shower to cool down after a rambunctious (and unsupervised) child canon-balled next to my face. This hotel needs to have a policy like other hotels with pools do. This is a lawsuit/potential nightmare waiting to happen when bratty, unsupervised child cannon balls and hits head/hurts self/kicks another guest in face.
Overall, this is a good hotel. Would I stay again? I'm not sure. Would I recommend it? Yes. I don't think there's anything horrible about this hotel that warrants some of these out there reviews. Don't go in expecting luxury. Go in knowing it's clean, comfortable, and the staff is fabulous.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fashionista2227
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

I believe your last three sentences sum it up quite nicely and I really appreciate your compliments of our staff. Thank you for all your compliments as well as your constructive criticism. Your feedback will only help us improve upon Charleston’s premier oceanfront hotel. With the renovations, improvements and updates we will make to the property this winter, it is my sincerest hope that the answer to the question of; “would I stay again,” changes from “I’m not sure” to an emphatic “Yes!”

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Once again, we stayed with you for Surfers Healing and once again your staff was AMAZING! Even the cleaning crews were so kind and went out of their way to help. Blu Restaurant staff also were so good to us. Your hotel is lovely & clean. The views are stunning ! The parking was great and loved the convenience to all the other fun places in Folly Beach. My son adores your gym and the pool and the pool toys ! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so accepting and helpful with our special kids.

Room Tip: The higher up floors have wonderful ocean views. Lower floors have palm trees in the view too :)
1  Thank Kay S

We should be the ones thanking you! If you were to ask anyone on this island about their favorite event; Surfers Healing would be the first thing mentioned. The Tides Hotel is honored to sponsor this event and our entire staff gets such joy from the children involved. Thank you for all your compliments and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We’re looking forward to seeing you at Surfers Healing again next year!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The people were extremely friendly. The view wonderful. Housekeeping deplorable!!The floor was so filthy it made our feet black. We had to ask housekeeping to come and was our floor. They did not bring us clean towels on two occasions, the forgot our shampoo and conditioner twice, and the forgot our coffee for the room.. The toilet was broken and it ran all the time. We complained twice and nothing was done by the end of our 7 day stay. The bathroom door had a terrible squeak and it woke you up when someone had to use the bathroom at night. It, too, was never fixed. We left our room at nine in the morning for the beach and returned at four. Our room still hadn't been cleaned. We were exhausted and wanted to take a shower and nap. No clean towels, so we just went to bed. Ten minutes later housekeeping came to clean the room. We sent them away. Too tired to be bothered. The furniture was kind of shabby. Now the views were spectacular. The pool was nice but it could have been bigger. Too many people for the size. . The food in the hotel was excellent!

Room Tip: All the rooms face ocean front.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BernadetteD23

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Tides folly Beach and for your compliments of our staff and the food at Blu Restaurant.

UPDATE: Many changes have been made to our housekeeping department since this author’s post. We have a new Director of Housekeeping, new personnel, and new amenities as well. While this, in no way, excuses our deficiencies during their stay, I believe future guests (this author included) will see vast improvements in service and cleanliness.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I took our first family vacation with our 3 year old to Edisto beach. We had a great time there and we decided to extend our stay but wanted to go somewhere different to visit the beach. We had heard good things about tides folly through friends. We were able to get a room for a Thursday night at a very reasonable rate for the area. When we arrived we were absolutely blown away at the quality of service, friendliness of staff, and the well maintained and polished facilities. Everything was neat and clean. Our room made us feel like we had wasted our money staying at Edisto beach. I have back problems and slept better at tides than I had all week prior.

Had dinner and drinks and Blu. I am a seafood snob and am pretty critical of my chow. The fish and chips was amazing, fresh and tasty! The wait staff and bar staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable (3 year olds can be a challenge)

The beach was amazing. When we woke up it had been cleaned, raked, and prepped for the days crowds (we went out at 8am) Friendly staff on hand and a wonderful group of folks on hand made for a great last day on the beach!

Prior to our stay at tides folly we felt our trip was a little unsatisfying. After our stay we left feeling perfectly happy about our trip. Thanks Tides for the turnaround!

Room Tip: Book Early! popular place for a reason!
1  Thank MDriskell82

It was a pleasure meeting you, your wife and your daughter the night y’all came out to Folly! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your dinner at Blu and that we were able to get your family a room afterwards. Thank you for all your compliments regarding our staff and know we’re all here for you the next time you can make it back to South Carolina!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I try to stay here several times a year to just get away and relax. I even come alone sometimes. I feel safe and comfortable. The staff treats you like you live there. I love the fact that I can bring my dog. Very much recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2014

It’s a pleasure seeing you each time you decide to stay with us! Thank you for all your kind words regarding our staff and I’m certain we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Let's get it straight...few people come to the tides for its luxury accommodations or stellar service. It is essentially a motel with a bar/restaurant connected to it. That said, knowing what it is, and what it is not, is the difference maker of being satisfied and aggravated.

Here are the high points:

Fantastic beach and warm, calm water. It's a great place for families, and in particular, families with young children.

Convenient getting in/out of the hotel: Parking is onsite and very accessible. Carts for luggage easily available and it is quite easy to get in and out of your room.

Highly accessible to many restaurants and activities: The hotel is at the center of many activities and restaurants without ever having to get back into your car. A really convenient experience for travelers who want to unplug from their cars and highway.

Staff was friendly and helpful when called upon: the people working there were generally nice to our children and amiable. Made for a nice experience.

Music on Saturday night under the stars. Because the beach is away from the light pollution of more populated places like Myrtle Beach , we hung out on the beach and listened to live music under the stars at night That's what you really pay for.

Here are the tradeoffs you make:

Towel Stupidity: Perhaps the most absurd and cheap thing I observed is their policy of having to 'sign out' towels with am assigned number for the pool and then charging a fee if you can't prove the towel you returned was yours. I'm sorry...but that is really bad form and really cheapens the Tides. Even if you lose a handful of towels it's worth it instead of being so stingy.

Pet friendly, or annoying, depending on your inclination: we were never informed of the fact that pets sometimes accompany guests and their dander can be left behind despite deep cleaning. Our daughter is allergic and this would have swayed out decision to stay.

Terrible gym: I know you don't come to the beach to get a top notch gym but this was seriously one of the worst gyms I've ever seen. A broken precor machine, non working treadmill and an assortment of 3 old dumbells that would make Charles Atlas kick sand in their face. All in a tiny room that hardly allows any room to improvise.

Drunk "Kids": My 10 and 6 year old girls stared incomprehensibly at a number of adult women staggering off the beach, looking as if they were on their way home from a keg party. I don't begrudge anyone from having a good time. But the decorum was so low that it felt more like an episode of jersey shore than it did a family getaway.

Charging $30 for lounge chairs and umbrella: Again, it's tacky and stingy to up charge like this.

In summary, it's hard to make a mess of folly beach so the tides starts well ahead of the game. But it is a minor league team in the major leagues of hotels and only gets by because of its location. Don't expect a hotel. It's a motel making specious claims of being more than that.

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Cwald
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We just returned from a trip to Folly Beach and The Tides Hotel. Our stay could not have been more enjoyable! The hotel is beautifully furnished. The lobby has many seating areas all very attractively and modernly furnished in what I called "South Beach" look. The aquarium is a nice touch too. Staff was very friendly and helpful and rooms very clean. The location is perfect and walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. We will definitely stay at this hotel again!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Thank you for this public recommendation following your visit with us at Tides Folly Beach! It was a pleasure having the opportunity to serve you and I am happy to read about how much you enjoyed your time at the Edge of America. We are already looking forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
#4 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!