“Best Bed and Breakfast in Charleston SC!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Folly Beach
Beachside Boutique Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Folly Beach B&B and Inns
Barnwell
“Best Bed and Breakfast in Charleston SC!”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I absolutely LOVE Beachside Bed and Breakfast! I've stayed in every room that they have and can't decide which one I love the most! I sleep like a baby and enjoy the seclusion. The rooms are spotless and there is personality in every detail. One of the showers makes you feel as if you are in a rainforest and the others are just as unique. You wake to an outstanding breakfast that seems it's prepared by a gourmet chef! The times I've stayed there, there have been people from all parts of the world enjoying the quaintness of this place. Film-makers, a Broadway star, etc. The "Today Show" talked about it's awesomeness, as well as a write up in Travel and Leisure magazine. If you are looking for "fancy", and prefer diamonds and furs, this may not be the place for you. But, if you want a place to take your cares away in a down to earth kind of way, you may want to check this out. Folly is a laid back, one of a kind place, and so is Beachside Bed and Breakfast! I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Every room is unique so find the one that suits you
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Janice T

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We had the best time at the Beachside B&B! My husband and I stayed in the Costa Rican Bungalow, which was very cozy and cute. The bungalow had a huge porch where we could hang out with the couple we were traveling with and play games. The Beachside B&B had every accessory needed for a day at the beach: beach chairs, boogie boards, extra towels, even beach cruisers. Also, we preferred the breakfast at the Beachside B&B to the breakfast we had at the Lost Dog Cafe. The shrimp and grits were especially good.

Room Tip: Get the bungalow
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Let me start out by saying that I knew going in that this place was going to be iffy and I took a chance knowing that I might regret it and I sure did. My trip was planned at the last minute and there was nothing available that was decent and under $300 a night anywhere around Charleston including Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, etc. since it was in season and a weekend night.

The other reason that I booked a room here was because of the glowing reviews on another website. I should have done more homework b/c now I see some pretty bad reviews on here but I was pretty desperate to find something and spent about 3 hours searching online before finally just giving in.

So anyway, we stayed in the Shabby Chic room and the floor is so uneven that you find yourself stumbling, which is not good b/c the room is so small that you barely have enough space for two people to maneuver. Imagine an extremely small bedroom with a full size bed, dresser, sink, toilet and tub all or just go to their website and see the photos. I had to sit sideways on the toilet to not bang my knees on the toilet paper holder. While I saw the photos myself beforehand, it still was crazy to see a toilet that literally sits out in the bedroom with no privacy whatsoever.

The mattress was very uncomfortable and really needs to be replaced. It is very soft and springy to the point that it bounces you up and down with the least amount of movement. On the bright side, the manager was very nice and welcomed us. She was helpful and made a fairly good breakfast in the a.m. before we departed. My review of the inn is in no way a poor reflection on her, it just is what it is. The inn also has free beach cruisers for you to use, which is very cool.

I understand that Folly Beach is old school and laid back and so on and that is the appeal to a lot of people. However, I just can't imagine how anyone could possibly think that any of the rooms here are worth paying $200 a night for. I looked at the 70's room and the Treehouse and they are not much better, if any. I didn't see the Costa Rican room which is in a separate building from the house and other 3 rooms.

If you take the rooms out of the equation and just look at what else the inn has to offer, you come up empty. This inn is not on the ocean, has no view of the water, is extremely small and to have to ask your spouse to leave the room in order to have privacy while you use the toilet - I mean there is just nothing outstanding about this place at all and for $200 a night I expect much more. I would never, ever consider staying here again.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hampton86
follybeachside, Manager at Beachside Boutique Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Hopefully, all future guests can learn a lesson from this guest’s mistakes. From his/her other reviews it doesn’t appear that they have EVER stayed at a BnB before, only a couple of Inn’s which are not the same thing. Please look at the pictures of the rooms and descriptions on our website by clicking on the more information button for each room. If you arrive and you are disappointed in any way or it is not what you expected, please let us know and we will let you out of your reservation with NO charges and we will even try to help you find another place that suits you better. Almost every weekend this summer we have had a wait list for rooms, so we would much rather fill the room with a happy guest than have an unhappy guest stay and write bad reviews about us. I am confident that most people will enjoy and have enjoyed their stay with us. In almost 3 years of being open and thousands of happy guests, only 3 guests have written bad reviews, which we feel is pretty good! As far as the bed in the Shabby Chic room, most everyone else that has stayed in that room has commented on how comfortable it is? I had a couple last week say that the bed was so comfortable that they slept in until 10am, which they never do at home in their own bed! In many BnB’s the bathrooms are en-suite and some even have to share a bathroom outside of the room. We understand different people enjoy different types of places and we may not suit everyone. Once again we are a laid back, board shorts and flip flops type of Bed and Breakfast. We welcome you to do the research and see if this is the right place for you. And, if you decide to stay with us, we will do everything we can to make your visit most enjoyable!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Things we loved about this place- adorable, easy walk to the beach, bikes to use for free for biking around the little town and on the beach itself, getting a free ride from the owner on her golf cart to the beach, the decor. Things I wish I had known- that the Tree Room was about the size of my freshman year single dorm room, and that "private bath" meant that we had to walk into the common space of the house shared with other guests to access a bathroom that was for our use only. I had assumed that private bath meant actually in the room access, so I was pretty disappointed about that, even though the bathroom itself is very nice. We would definitely return, but wouldn't rent this room again, would go for the Shabby Chic or Costa Rican rooms. I think it would be good to clarify the bathroom access for the Tree Room on the B&B's website.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I'll be honest. I joined TripAdvisor for the sole reason of posting this review. I've stayed at the Beachside a number of times and the experience has always been perfect so I thought that I'd return the favor by giving them a little online love.

First of all, I know my B&Bs, hotels, inns, hostels, resorts, and other places of temporary residences....I was a travel writer for many years and have traveled to 50+ countries, 47 states (sorry midwest), and stayed in all kinds of places from park benches to 5 star resorts. I'm not a high frills traveler but I do recognize when a place adds to or enhances your travel experience. Beachside does just that. I return to Folly Beach many times a year, not because Folly Beach is the best beach destination I've been to, but because Ginger, Mike, and Kristy (the owners/caretakers) make my experience a 5 star experience.

The place is impeccably clean, the breakfast is always abundant and delicious, and the rooms are cozy and comfortable. Somebody is nearly always around to answer any questions or fulfill any requests. If there is nobody around then I'm cool with that; I'm not in need of 24 hour doting. Ginger (the caretaker) is amazing! She provides a relaxed and warm atmosphere to the place...a nice correlation to the Folly Beach vibe. Plus, the owners provide bikes, chairs, blankets, cocktails, beach games, and all sorts of beach
amenities.

Folly Beach is not a pretentious place. Neither is the Beachside. Both are tranquil, relaxed, and comfortable places. I like that neither makes me feel like tourist ordering the locals around in some class cold-warfare environment.

5 Thank ForrestnOdin
Brevard, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 February 2011

This place is exactly what you need! It is fun, friendly and comfortable. The Bungalow Room is divine, they are all great rooms, in a down home kind of way. Honestly, I come here as much as possible. Be ready to be mellow and enjoy what is important in life.... a great breakfast, a place to relax, super people, the ocean 2 blocks away and a good strong cocktail. Maybe even hang by the firepit and grill some Oysters..forget about it!

ANDERSON
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My husband chose to book this B&B. I have to say one of the main issues that I have with this property is that after having stayed at a WONDERFUL bed and breakfast in the past, I was surprised at the lack of concern for the comfort of the guests that I found here.

On the first morning after we arrived, when we got up, I expected a real breakfast, isn't that implied in bed and breakfast? We went into the kitchen at 8:30 and were met with cold items that one would expect to see on any continental breakfast, juice in a dorm size refrigerator, bagels Danish, a little sliced fruit and some coffee. There was a not saying there would be warm items available after 9. We decided to come back thinking, surely there will be something provided for the paying guests. Some items that would seem to be more appropriate at an establishment that calls itself a bed and breakfast? When we got back, the person managing the establishment that weekend was serving a warm breakfast to some people who were not staying at the B&B but were in town to perform in an event she was hosting. It was obvious that we were not really welcome to partake of the breakfast items. I was hurt and disappointed. We PAID for a B&B experience and were being made to feel unwelcome.

The next morning, we went over expecting nothing but the same continental breakfast items and were not surprised, also the dorm refrigerator was not restocked, so there was hardly any juice left. On our second morning there, another couple were staying also and we all stood in the kitchen / seating area for approximately twenty minutes and the lady ( I didn't see enough of her to really catch her name) did bring in a few sparse breakfast items but it was not really enough for all of us to have warm breakfast items, so my husband purchased breakfast for us after leaving the B&B.

By Monday morning, the day of our departure, we certainly did not expect a warm breakfast or hospitality and we definitely were not disappointed. My husband had to search for the person running the establishment that weekend (as she was the only person we met, we had been told that the owners were out of town). He wanted at least some juice to drink on the way but he said that the small refrigerator in the kitchen had not ever been restocked and only had on type of juice left, mixed berry. The danish and bagels were the same ones that had been there since we first went in to the kitchen on Friday morning. So, personally, I CAN NOT recommend this place as advertised. If you are looking for a true positive B&B atmosphere this is not the place for you. No real breakfast provided other than the continental kind that would be provided at a good hotel.

As far as the room, we stayed in the "bungalow" the room had character. The floors are hardwood, it was reasonably clean. I must say that the walls are paper thin. The bungalow is not attached to the main house but there is an office behind it. I found this out the day we arrived because we decided to lay down and rest before going out to eat dinner, every time I dosed off I was awakened by the B&B's caretaker either on the phone or moving things around or coughing, etc. So, resting in that room during the day is not something that I can recommend.
Also, the door to the bungalow does is glass paned. You have to pass right in front of it to go to the restroom. While we were there, there was no curtain over the glass. Even though the area with the bed is curtained off, I did not feel comfortable with that exposed window. I would have to pass it to go to the restroom so we covered it each night with a blanket, just so that you are aware. The room is really cute but there is something on every surface and no thought has been put into where one is supposed to store luggage, a toiletry bag will fit nicely on top of a chest in the outer area.
The tub looks unclean because there are rust stains in it, I know its rust because my husband bought some cleaning supplies for me and tried to clean it. It looks dirty but it was just rust stains, still this should be addressed.

The outside of the bungalow as well as the rest of the inn is in dire need of some simple clean up and weeding. I know that it is winter but it looks bad here. When we first pulled up, I wanted to leave, the outside gives an appearance of neglect and I thought if it looks this bad outside what were we getting ourselves in for? I did not ask to leave simply because my husband had paid in advance and I did not want to disappoint him or lose his money.

While we were there, an old (antique, classic???) car that need refurbishing blocked at least half of the small available parking space. I wondered if we would come back, one evening and have no place to park. One night we had to squeeze in really tight next to another guest's car. Turns out that old car belongs to the owners of the B&B. Another disappointment, it seems that they are not even concerned about making sure that there guests can easily park when visiting this establishment.

I must say, that a few years back I stayed at a wonderful B&B with excellent, caring hosts. I know this experience may have caused me to set my expectations a little too high. However, I think that one should be able to expect at least a real breakfast, at a B&B. At the very least, fresh Danish and a variety of restocked juice should not be too much to ask.
One should also expect a welcoming clean exterior at any place where one is paying to stay.
A bedroom with thin walls that one can here really noisy goings on right behind ones head is also disappointing.
The one good thing about this place is that it is a very short walking distance from the restaurants on Folly Beach.
I was disappointed. I can see potential here, however, I would never return and never recommend this place to anyone.

We were able to look into the other rooms on our first day here and the rooms are cute but they are also a little small. in one of them, the shabby chic room, there is no wall between the bedroom and the bathroom just a curtain. This room is pretty but I personally would not want to stay in a room that is not divided from by restroom with a wall.
I have pictures of almost everything that I am describing I am having a hard time uploading them email me and I will be happy to share.
Book with reservation, if not caution.

3 Thank M R
follybeachside, Manager at Beachside Boutique Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
These days there are many types of B&B’s out there and while some may be suited for some people, it may not be ideal for others. We often call ourselves a laid back, flip flop and board shorts kind of B&B. We are definitely non-pretentious, so if you are looking for frills, this is may not be the place for you.
We have never had any problems with a shortage of breakfast items and every morning there are always leftovers. On occasion we will invite friends to stop by and eat, only once all of the paying guests have finished, since we hate to waste food and we NEVER re-use any food items. It may not always be a gourmet breakfast but often times our guests seem to prefer the simple blueberry and plain pancakes, hash browns, eggs, bacon and sausage. We do sometimes use store bought pastries which we are confident they can be just as good as homemade and sometimes even better. We also put out a large fresh fruit tray, a bread box with bagels, english muffins, bread, etc. We also have an assortment of cold and hot cereals, yogurts, juices, milk, hot cocoa, teas, coffee, etc.
Upon arrival of each guest, I always introduce myself and give a tour of the property. I encourage everyone to make themselves at home and if there is anything at all that I can do to make their stay more enjoyable to please not hesitate to call me and I then show them where my cell number is listed on the contract. Nobody EVER pre-pays at our Inn. The third day of this guests visit, the husband came back to my office to pay in cash, which I provided him a receipt for and I also still have a dated copy. I gave them the Costa Rican Bungalow at the regular room rate when they called me on the phone to reserve, which was over a 25% discount. If any guest is EVER dissatisfied we would be more than willing to let them leave without any payment and/or rectify any issues that they may have. On the contrary, the husband told me on their last morning as they were leaving, that they had a great time and enjoyed their stay very much. We are completely perplexed by this review!
We just hope that you read the other GREAT comments that have been posted about our place and stay with us to see for yourself; what an awesome little place we do have here!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Beachside Boutique Inn? Share your experiences!