“A good value, decent food”
Review of Sandcastle Seafood Restaurant - CLOSED

Sandcastle Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Union, Kentucky
“A good value, decent food”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I had been dying to eat here, the view is amazing. It wasn't what I expected when we arrived though. It was much more if a "carny" food atmosphere. It is cash only, which they yelled at me as I came in. The food was bland, but there was a lot of it. The view was it's saving grace.

1 Thank Jpctrips

Charleston, SC
“Great Seafood, View”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We ate here on a Wednesday right after they opened. We were immediately greeted as we walked in and told up front it was a cash only place but they had an ATM by the door. The menu is above the counter where you order. Even though it was hot outside we chose to eat on the screened porch because the interior of the restaurant smelled musty/mothbally to me. I am not a fan of picnic tables and there was no breeze but it was nice scenery. There was a mysterious man sitting under the nearby bridge on an overturned bucket who appeared to be fishing and that provided some entertainment.

My husband and I shared the seafood platter for 17.99 which had shrimp, scallops, oysters, whiting and a crab cake. The fried shrimp and scallops were large and good. While the platter was fried nothing was greasy. It was all hot and fresh and crisp. My husband ate the oysters and said they were very large. The whiting was actually quite good but not a very large amount. I wish there had been more. The crab cake was a disappointment. It was basically bread stuffing in a shell. The meal came with 4 corn hushpuppies, a huge portion of really good and crisp fries and a bowl of cole slaw that was poorly cut into large and unwieldy pieces with a very slight sauce. If the crab cake and cole slaw had been better I would give the food 4 stars.

My daughter had the flounder which was also good and it came with the fries, hushpuppies, and she chose green beans instead of the cole slaw. They were canned but well seasoned.

These meals plus a beer and a tea came to $42. I will definitely go back once the weather cools so that the porch is more comfortable, unless they can do something about the interior smell. Service was very friendly and the owner checked on us and a young lady refilled drinks quite often, even though it is more of a self serve place.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Labpyra
Henderson, Kentucky
“Excellent fresh seafood!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Excellent fresh seafood! We had the fried flounder and shrimp and were very impressed. The food was lightly breaded and not very greasy. Quaint little place that is nothing fancy but good atmosphere, excellent service, and friendly staff! Things are setup a little different to keep prices down. Everything is paid for with cash, you order your meal, have a seat and your food is brought to you. Every bit as good as restaurants on Folly that charge a higher price. Will definitely be back some day!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank GoneAgain-ByeKY
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great local seafood!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a typical seafood restaurant on the coast of South Carolina. It has fried seafood, hush puppies, cole slaw and french fries. The portions are great for the price. The food is excellent. The restaurant is located on a creek and has some nice views.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Islandtime1027
“Amber. Morehead, KY”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Absolutely best! We went our last night in SC my hubby was here due to a job. We passed it going to Folly Beach and figured we'd give it a try. It was Def worth it. The only thing that was completely different was you stand at the counter and place your order. I ordered grilled shrimp, founder, scallops and fried clam strips which tasted just like Red Lobster! Amazing place, easy going place. Will Def be back!

2 Thank Amber B