“The best seafood away from the ocean”
Review of Catawba Fish Camp

Catawba Fish Camp
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Fort Lawn
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 7 June 2014

To be totally upfront, I am a native of the area and this is the local seafood I grew up with. Most people seem to gravitate toward whatever they grew up with (reference Jane from NE). I have since moved away from the area and absolutely CANNOT find a seafood place that even comes close. They have absolutely the best slaw and hushpuppies anywhere. I have found very few restaurants where they understand how to properly fillet fish. My favorite is the perch fillet. Rarely do you find a bone. I have visited many truly overpriced restaurants and found that the perch "fillet" was loaded with bones. My husband (who is not originally from SC and also loves the Catawba Fish Camp) and I travel 2+ hours periodically just to have dinner here because it is so delicious.

1  Thank tammyncgirl

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was not at all happy the food is greasy but that seems to be norma down here in SC because the place has alot of business. My husband liked his bc he likes fried but I am a NE girl whom likes baked or broiled and they really do not have this. This is a fried food place; period!

2  Thank Jane L
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is a casual sit-down restaurant with formal dining prices. Catawba Fish Camp treats itself like it is a high quality restaurant. There are many problems I see with the place.

First of all, the menu is full of overpriced food. I wouldn't mind paying more if the seafood was actually fresh. While the food isn't vomit-inducing, it is clearly either frozen or reheated. It tastes very artificial, like it all came out of a cardboard box, yet you pay as if it was all freshly caught. Plus, if you want to share a plate with someone else, you'll have to pay extra to do it too.

There is enough seating to fit the state of South Carolina yet every time I have visited, there are plenty of open seats. I think it's beginning to lose popularity unless I am simply not going at the right times. It would be nice to know that people are wising up to the place. Those who do go are more casual, but they also need to know that they're paying for more than what the food actually is. That said, the atmosphere is actually pretty cold and empty because of the size of the dining area.

I would NOT recommend this place for families with children. The more children you have, the more you'll have to pay for lackluster quality and service. The last time I went, our waitress only asked my father if we all wanted french fries. I wanted onion rings, but she never even looked in my direction. She asked everyone but me if they wanted boxes which I thought was very rude. AND when she went to box the food, she removed it from the table, and the boxes were sent to the check-out counter. I've never seen a restaurant do that. I would much prefer to have my food sitting on the table with me (which mine actually was because she never bothered to box mine).

I think that covers all of it. Really, I only ever go if we have a big family outing because I do enjoy spending time with them. The restaurant itself is not that great. I can't see how anyone genuinely likes the food.

11  Thank BlueJay87