“Great Place to stay while visiting Carowinds”

Comfort Inn At Carowinds
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Fort Mill
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Let's start with how close it is to Carowinds, less than one mile away. We walked there entering into the park through the North Gate, since South Gate was closed. Lobby and breakfast area were very nice. Breakfast had waffles, sausage, eggs, cereal, & breads. Staff was very friendly. Hallways downstairs were decorated with nice marble design. Pool was closed down while we were there, so unable to rate that at this time. Stayed on forth floor near elevator. Room was nice with two comfortable queen beds, excellent shower with massage. Room was clean for this somewhat dated hotel. Wendy's right next door and a gas station next to it. Overall great stay. I would recommend to stay here and would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is facing Carowinds preferably on forth floor. That way you can watch the firewor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Stephanie M, Manager at Comfort Inn At Carowinds, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Constance,

Thank you so much for your very nice reply after your stay at Comfort Inn Carowinds. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations, especially regarding the room, our staff and the breakfast offering.

We look forward to serving you on your next visit to the area.

Best Regards,
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 22 July 2014

On a recent visit to see my family in SC I stayed at the Comfort Inn. The hotel was clean, safe and comfortable which is always a pleasant surprise...no matter what type of hotel you stay in. What wasn't a surprise was the excellent service. I am originally from the south so I expect a certain level of hospitality when there...the staff of the Comfort Inn Carowinds far exceeded my expectations. Everyone there was especially helpful and courteous from the breakfast staff to the housekeepers. But this review would not be complete if I failed to mention two people in particular. Kevin the evening desk clerk epitomizes what customer is and Stephanie the Sales Manager went above and beyond to ensure we had a comfortable stay. I travel quite often and no matter where I've gone you don't typically see this level of service from management. I cannot thank them both enough for making this such a great stay. I will definitely visit this location again when I'm in the area. Thanks guys!!!!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Where do I begin.... Kevin and Stephanie have been providing A+ service for my family and I for over a year. This past weekend I needed a block of rooms for my family. When I arrived to the hotel to make sure that things were in place, Mia assured me that everything was in order; and that it was. She provided me with a chart/list of all of the rooms in my block and also showed me how she had all of the rooms sorted and keyed waiting for my family's arrival.

When my family arrived they were pleased. The rooms were cleaned, the temperature was comfortable and any requests that were made (additional towels, covers etc.) was provided immediately. Even the pool area was clean and welcoming.

The ONLY suggestion that I can make is that they serve another type of meat product (other than sausage gravy) for breakfast and especially not for the whole weekend. With people traveling from near and far, not everyone knows or even eats sausage gravy. Now the variety of different flavors of waffle batter was a HUGE hit with 17 kids....

While I'm local, I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: My suite was on the first floor and I expected to hear a lot of traffic from other guest, but it was...
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just got back from staying two nights here on a Carowinds trip. Staff was perfectly fine and friendly. Room was an average hotel room and clean enough (wife saw two baby roaches in the bathroom this morning but no other issues). Nothing broken. Breakfast was plentiful with a large selection of things to eat. This is great if you want to fuel up and not have to pay Carowinds high food prices early in the day. We walked to the park both days and it is not a long trek if you go in the South Gate. Seemed much easier than driving into the park and then having to go out, turn around and then come back to the hotel (Carowinds entrance is very poorly laid out). I was expecting this place to be a dive based on the reviews but, after experiencing the sheer volume of park business this hotel does with excited kids, rowdy teens and tired parents, I'm surprised it is kept up as much as it is. I'm sure it is a full time job just keeping the building standing with all of the activity taking place during the Summer season.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I know this was an isolated incident, but overall the area the hotels are in is NOT a safe area. We stayed at the Clarion our last visit to Carowinds, and found out it used to be an old brothel. We opted for the Comfort Inn this time because it had better reviews and were even more disappointed! I will say the housekeeping does a great job keeping the rooms clean and the breakfast was nice, so we made sure to tip them, but the management is AWFUL! Somehow, they let a TON of high school kids in the hotel for a party and we were woken up at midnight to what sounded like a gun being fired. We looked out our window which faced the pool to see nearly 100 kids running out of the hotel and a young man on the ground. It took police 20 minutes to get there, and even then, it was ONE police officer, who didn't attempt to disburse the crowd formed out in the parking lot. When the ambulance arrived to get the injured man on the ground, they couldn't get to him right away because of all the kids still swarming around him. It was an awful experience and my 7 year old witnessed the whole thing. What made it even worse was that management was supposed to refund the cost of our room that night and instead charged us AGAIN! The matter still hasn't been resolved. Avoid the entire area if you can!

1  Thank Alexandra R
Stephanie M, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn At Carowinds, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Alexandra R,

Please accept my sincere apology for the unfortunate incident that your child witnessed when you were staying with us. The incident that took place was not affiliated with any of our staff or guests. Comfort Inn Carowinds is a VERY safe place. We take measures to ensure that all of our guests are provided a safe and secure environment. I can honestly say that these are NOT the type of issues that we have occurring at our property.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the atmosphere that you expect and deserve.

Director Of Sales

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Before I begin my review, I would like to say that I got an excellent deal on this hotel on hotwire.com. I paid $55 for this room; the hotel advertises its rooms at $79, and if I'd paid full price my review would be a lot less favorable.

The great: location! When they say walking distance to the park, they mean it; it's across the street. The area is good; gas station right next door, and plenty of restaurants.
The good: friendly enough staff; easy check in even though I didn't have my hotwire reservation printed out, king sized bed was nice and comfy (despite the small square pillows; what's up with hotels doing that nowadays instead of providing full sized pillows), bathroom was clean (though the tub and fixtures were quite old), the room was very clean.
The bad: the outdated a/c that didn't work. It was one of those units with the turn dials (hot, warm, cold and low/high) and though it blew out cool air, it never got cold, and after taking a shower, the room got downright swampy.

Needless to say by the time we found out the a/c did not work correctly, we were too tired from all day parking to even ask to change rooms, so we dealt with it.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again, especially if it's discounted at hotwire for the location, free continental breakfast, and comfy, clean bed. I just won't stay in room 204.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor if you are a non-smoker; I'm not sure if they still allow smoking in the hot...
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We got this room off of Hotwire, claimed it was 3 stars ! 1.5 at best , front counter person wasn't even there for 5 mins , came on looked like someone off the street in some random tshirt, wires exposed for. The hallways, got to room! Gross! Stuff on the walls , pillows the size of a couch pillow, bad smelling! It was so bad we left after 10 mins and drove back to Columbia an hour away and just forfeited the room fare! Very dissapointed !

• Stayed: June 2014

Please give me a call directly to discuss the forfeited room stay. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Director Of Sales

Clarion Hotel at Carowinds
#9 of 10 in Fort Mill
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/Ayrsley
Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood
Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte - Arrowood Rd.

Been to Comfort Inn At Carowinds? Share your experiences!