“Fun, quiet place ”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fripp Island
Fripp Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fripp Island
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The resort is beautiful and relaxing. We always see tons of wildlife during our visits. There are several pools and the beach area is kept clean. The island seems targeted toward families and older people. Not too many young adults. But a peaceful getaway is good for everyone!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lauren b

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We dropped off our daughter who is interning on Fripp Island this summer. The resort put us in a Sun suite for one night. It was clean and beautiful. One queen bed and built in bunk beds with onsuite bathroom behind a pocket door. Efficiency kitchen. All activities available. We will be back and stay much longer. Thanks to the wonderful staff. Kathie & Don

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kat S
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I find out one week before arrival that a club pass is needed to go to restaurants, shops, golf courses, and other recreation. The owner of the home we are renting did not pay the annual club pass fee so our family has no access to any of these amenities and necessities.
This is the most dishonest crap I have ever heard of.

Now we go to the island for a week but we have to go off the island to eat, shop, or play golf. The only thing we can do is swim in the ocean because Fripps Island has not found a way to claim ownership of the ocean.

I am stuck and have already paid so this trip is not starting off well.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
20  Thank Paul P
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The island and the beach are beautiful. There are no hotels and traffic is great, especially if you rent a golf cart. We stayed in the Captain John Fripp Villas in mid-April. The ocean-view is fabulous. The villa, on the hand, was somewhat disappointing. Its rated 'Silver' which means the decor is somewhat dated so I expected that. I was surprised that the villa had no washcloths, dish soap or garbage bags other than the ones already in the cans and no mattress covers on the full size beds upstairs. The appliances were nice but the pots and pans were kind of gross as were the dishes and flatware. Its easy to spend someones elses money, but I think a small investment would go a long way here. Less than $1000 could by a new set of pots and pans, dishes and outside furniture.
As others have stated, bring all of the food you'll need. The one restaurant that operates off-season was nice, but understandably pricey. The food court was very small but the workers were very nice.
Its a great spot to relax, hang out on the beach or golf. We'll stay again but probably in a different rental unit.

Room Tip: Pick a "Gold" rated unit even if its off the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Well where to start...
My girlfriends family rents a home each summer on Fripp and have been avid Fripp fans since she was young. Last year i went on my first Fripp trip with them and was expecting a marvelous resort with swim up bars and mermaids... or something along those line.
I am from Charleston and grew up on Folly and Spend a lot of time on IOP now so my expectations were somewhere in the middle with the stories my girlfriend had told me.
Well those quickly fell short. As a recent college grad in my low twenties i enjoy roughing it so Fripp wasnt to upsetting for me when it wasnt some caribbean 5 star resort but heres some lists of the good and bad.

Good:
The beach is beautiful and wasnt over crowded like you find in Charleston
The island is beautiful and running, biking or carting around is always a joy
It was fairly quiet and peaceful

The bad:
Ive seen this on here but, The "security" is an absolute joke. My story with them was on my first day arriving at the island when i pulled up and i thought crocodile dundee in short shorts was asking for my ID at the security gate. As he lifted his sunglasses and made sure i saw his shinny "badge" and pistol (Necessary??? nope) he came back and was very rude and short and asked me "what my business there was" (it seems my GFs mom forgot to call in my pass but shame on you and yours for simple mistakes at this place) thats my rant on the security but for comparison, TSA without the strip search

The place needs a face lift, everywhere. it seems the staff forgot how to use a broom and paint brush

the bartenders are just plain jackasses, after paying a substantial amount for a "pina coloda" and a domestic beer the bartender served a local friend of his next to me, who ordered the same thing and payed less. Guess i didnt qualify for the happy hour discount after happy hour. (his words)

the grocery store is over priced and doesn't have much of a selection
restaurants are below par
i dont golf so i cant say much more about par (ha)
and finally dont ask anyone for help, not anyone that works there atleast
NOBODY CARES

All in all my experience was good and we had a lot of fun, but that wasnt a result of the staff or amenities at Friip

My suggestions:
Bring a lot of food! stop at the farm stands on the way out to fripp and get fresh produce
DONT SPEED
smile and suck up to the security a little at sign in, might help you later
watch your bar tabs
bug spray bug spray bug spray
Study the house or property you plan on renting very closly, many of the properties on beach front dont have beach at high tide or have a very large and sketchy pool of water that the end of the stairs sits in, and some houses may have a long walk through mosquito infested woods.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank JaredW4240
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have shared beach front houses on Fripp Island on two occasions and each time was pleased with the accommodations and easy access to the beach. Grandchildren loved the beach and enjoyed the activities center. They spotted deer and alligators on golf cart rides, enjoyed flying kites, and had good times at the pools. Homes rentals seem to include a golf cart which makes exploring the island a fun time activity.

Both golf courses were fun to play. Restaurants are so-so, and you have to get off the island to get a wider selection. It is frustrating to have to buy amenity cards to access golf, restaurants, etc. We are already paying an exorbitant rental fee and the additional charge seems inappropriate when we are desirous of using their services.

Harry's Catering Service does a fantastic job at a reasonable price. He works with you on menu choices and delivers everything promptly at the desired time. Highly recommended.

The turtle patrol acts like a bunch of Nazi's--ordering people where to stand, refusing to allow pictures of eggs that were destroyed by crabs, and not responding to simple questions--they, for the most part had a condescending attitude towards vacationers and acted like we were going to stomp on the turtles or take them home for pets. Meanwhile, they march all around the nests as they hatch, relocate turtle eggs, handle the hatchlings, and act like super Ninja turtles saving the world.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank loves2travelandmore
Reviewed 2 January 2014

2'nd Floor Up North Hampton Condo's have the most amazing views!!! We open the sliding glass door and from the den & kitchen you see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but ocean!!! Pool is cooler than the rest of the island's and this end is just SO unbelievably quiet!!! Even during 4th of July week you hardly hear a squeak!!! Don't have to walk a country mile to get to your room and it's the only condo on the island with an elevator!!! We use to stay at "The Pelican Pad" but for some reason it's no longer on the market. We haven't been in several years because we bought a 30' Grady White Marlin and stay on it at the Port Royal Landing Marina. I terribly miss staying at Fripp, but you have to own property to have an extended stay at the Marina.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
City Loft Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beaufort
The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort

Been to Fripp Island Resort? Share your experiences!