Waters Edge Resort
Garden City Inn(Murrells Inlet)
US$130
US$125
US$148
US$176
US$154
Hampton.com
Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel(Surfside Beach)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$199
Official Hotel
The Inlet Sports Lodge(Murrells Inlet)
US$181
US$144
US$203
US$186
HolidayInn.com
Royal Garden Resort(Garden City Beach)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsowned condopool and hot tubwasher and dryerview of the oceanunitdecktubsfireworks
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I like visiting different areas of the Grand Strand and for this trip I wanted to stay in the Garden City/Murrell's Inlet area. Much of this area is residential/condos with few hotel properties and Garden City has just 3 large oceanfront condo rental properties. I had pretty much decided on Water's Edge but was surprised when the online rate jumped upwards when I thought it would be heading down.

When I was becoming discouraged I noticed a pop-up box with BookIt.com for a rate that was a good third off the lowest rates I'd seen. So i thought "if it sounds too good to be true" ... I had never used BookIt.com and was concerned with mixed reviews on it. Then I called Water's Edge directly and they assured me it was legitimate and that I would not find a lower rate. So with a little uneasiness I booked a one-bedroom condo for three nights at roughly $70 a night for a mid-September weekend. I requested a high floor but really expected to end up in an inferior unit.

NOT THE CASE! I was placed in Unit 1507 (15th floor) and the unit exceeded my expectations. Upon entering I found myself drawn immediately to the oceanfront balcony, Then I noticed the nice-sized kitchen/dining area and the washer/dryer closet. I looked into the adjacent bath and thought that had to be one of the smallest baths (stand-up shower) that I had ever encountered. Then I proceeded to the somewhat-tight bedroom with a double closet, and to my surprise a door that I thought was an owner's closet actually led to a decent-sized bath with a tub.

Sure a fresh coat of paint and a television in the bedroom would have been nice. But at the price I was paying I was still elated. The wi-fi was good, kitchen supplies stocked, and the unit clean. While the lobby was a little hard to find, my friends were happy with their cheeseburger and stir-fry orders from the on-site grill. The pool, whirlpool, and beach were all fine. Interaction with staff was pleasant, and they provided me an extra parking pass. The property looked to be at less than half occupied and thus no issues with elevators or crowds.

So despite my initial concerns I would not hesitate to use BookIt.com and would gladly return to the Water's Edge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lee S
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is to let people know that there is a hidden treasure here in garden city.....the small grill/restaurant at waters edge. Dwayne and Danielle do a great job. Dwayne can cook up some good food....breakfast, lunch great hamburgers home made....and his hibachi is excellent, spring rolls best we have had....probably because these also are you got it home made. Try it you won't be disapointed

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I came on here this evening to write a review on our recent stay and was reading other reviews especially the one on room 1511. Our family goes to waters edge every year at the same time and we request that room. I did notice the dehumidifier which was new in that condo but I did not notice any mold. Of course I will have to be honest and say I was not looking for it either. I really don't think I looked under the kitchen sink once and according to the pictures there was mold under there and behind the wallpaper (I didn't look behind there either). The only thing I would say is I had a child with me that has really bad asthma and she didn't have any problems , I also had a moisture problem in my own home at one time and I am very sensitive to smells and I didn't smell that musty, moldy odor you would expect to find if the room had that much mold in it. The carpet picture makes me question the validity of this review because I can't tell where this picture would have been taken at, it seems like I would notice a loose piece of carpet and after looking at our pics it just doesn't look like it would be in that room. So let me give a review on Waters Edge itself instead of just one room. It is older but it is right on the beach. We spend most of our time at the beach. They are doing update, the deck was completely removed and being replaced when I was there and I can't wait to see it next year. We have stayed in other rooms there and I have never been disappointed. The pool area needs to be non smoking. A man at the hot tub was blowing cigar smoke on us one night and I was praying that my grand daughter would splash him, but she didn't. The indoor hot tub had so much chemicals in it one night that it burned out eyes. The staff have always been extremely nice to us. The parking deck is safe and you can always find a parking space. One security guard " a lady" was very nice and she tried her best to be helpful in every way sorry I didn't get her name. I have been going to the beach for years and I have stayed at a lot of places and all in all waters edge is my favorite. Trust me I will look for mold next year and if it is that bad I will not request that room anymore but I would most likely stay at Waters edge. Since we go at the same time we have met some wonderful people that also go at the same time every year and including my family I know 4 other families that go there and if it is as bad as some of the reviews I don't think all of us would return year after year.

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Lisafromnc
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have been going to Water's Edge for years - our family tradition.
Yes, in answer to previous reviews posted - the building is old - but while we were there it should be noted that many updates are planned. While we were visiting, the old deck was completely torn up and being replaced. I don't know what else is planned, but there were notices posted that from September to December various projects would be on the go with new updates etc.... So that is a good sign, that this place is being updated.
As far as rooms - each is individually owned - this year we rented through VRBO - so you can see pictures of the unit you are renting, and you deal directly with the owner. So this might be a solution for some who have had issues with their units in the past.
I love coming to Garden City, it is quiet, the beach is lovely, and staying at Water's Edge - you are literally right there at the edge of the ocean. So much to do and see - you are close to the action of MB, but have the quiet feel that Garden City offers.
Now for a few negative observations that I have made - all of these are not managements problems, but some are - most just reflect the overall nature of people. South Carolina law must allow smoking on pool decks - and people take full advantage of that freedom. For me a non-smoker this was not appealing. They allow drinking on the pool deck. One day, sad to say, there was puke in the pool for the afternoon - making it VERY undesirable to swim in till it was cleaned up! Also, reflecting on the age of the building - all units have bedrooms that face the hallway, the windows are so old, and are paper thin - so you hear every person passing by - most are quiet respectful of this fact, but several times new neighbors were checking in, at very late hours and were less then considerate of people sleeping, shouting and doors slamming. Lastly, every morning at 5 the garbage bins get emptied - and they are loud, and there are several to be done - so if you want to sleep in, bring ear plugs. I wish management could do something about this timing of the garbage pickup.
So yes, there are good and bad things - overall we had a great time. I am interested to see the other updates that are planned for this building. But if the negatives continue, or get worse, we might have to seek other accommodation arrangements.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Waters Edge Resort has been standing at Garden City Beach for a long time. While it still has a great location, the building and amenities are showing their age. All of the units are furnished similarly but are not uniform in the age and style of beds, wallpaper, televisions, etc. Personally, this place was a good deal for the long weekend my family wanted to stay. If we had been planning for a week visit, I may have opted for more updated accommodations.

The lobby, convenience store, bar, and restaurant at ground level leave a lot to be desired, but the staff was friendly, the cost was reasonable, and at the end of the day it's a great place to put your toes in the sand.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family