“Backwoods Quail Club, Andrews, SC”

Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our daughter shot in the Jr US Open at Backwoods Quail Club in Andrews, SC. Three days of competition in South Carolina June heat. The Hampton Inn employees were so friendly. It was close to the club and and a great clean quiet place to stay. They are very accomodating to shooter athletes and their families. Georgetown is just a few minutes away. We had a lovely time shopping on Pawley's Island, and dining in Georgetown.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here recently for business. As others have said, it's on a river with a Marina - very scenic IF you have a waterfront view (which they also charge more for.) If you want the view, be sure to ask when making the reservation as 1/2 of the room face the street not the water.

I often stay at Hampton Inn's and find most have recent renovations including the rooms. This one I'm guessing was another property and converted, as the renovations here seem more cosmetic - some hallway decorations and the lobby. My room seemed very tired - see the pictures - and was close to feeling pretty bad. They do have a fridge and microwave which is nice. Also 32" LCD TVs, but none of the channels are high def and no HBO.

(Note to all hotels - stop putting down LCD TV as a selling point in rooms; it's expected now and not a bonus)

Breakfast area was on the small side, the buffet area is physically small though seating is not too bad. As someone else said, they should expand - my suggestion is adding a bump out towards the water that is mostly window so people can get those great waterviews. The 'warm' food was in chafing dishes that really didn't keep it warm, and over a couple days there were never any actual scrambled eggs which I found surprising. It just wasn't very.. appetizing.

Didn't talk to the staff much but most of the people I saw actually looked pretty bored or unhappy and were not greeting or engaging at all with people passing through the lobby or breakfast area.

Also have to verify what others have said about noise - one night it was actually good, but the room above me must have been empty because the next night I could hear footsteps thumping around all night, and it ruined what should have been an early night to bed for a business meeting the next day.

So all in all - compared to really cheap properties, this one would probably be fine. But compared to Hampton Inn properties I've been at before, this was poor in comparison. Also, again, I hope the management looks at these photos and realizes that they need to renovate the rooms - especially considering the rack rates start at $130 a night. The bathroom had some really gross spots and there is no excuse for the kinds of stuff I was seeing other than a total lack of attention to room maintenance and it makes me wonder how dirty the rooms are actually are where you can't easily see.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank schmitty233
Georgetown I, General Manager at Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I really appreciate you choosing the Hampton Inn Georgetown Marina as your hotel of choice. I received your comments today of the issues you had with your room. I want to personally apologize that these issues occurred in your room and that this is not acceptable. You can be assured that I have immediately addressed the issue and have taken action to resolve it.

I do want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is like new, in-place, of the highest quality, and in perfect working order. I am personally sorry that this was not the case during your stay with us. You can be confident that I have followed up and investigated your issues so that the next guest would not have the same problem. This is not typical of our hotel and I do sincerely apologize!

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts with us. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns!

Teri Holland

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at this location for two nights and the accommodations were excellent. The beds slept great and the hotel is convenient to where we needed to be. You can walk out to the marina and watch the boats coming in and out from fishing and see the catches which the kids loved to do.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was a real nice hotel. Rooms are nice. Breakfast that was complimentary was good mixture of hot and cold. My room was very nicely finished. Didn't have any complaints. Wished the pool area included an hot tub.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the marina.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here to buffer our drive to MB airport from Savannah, GA. The hotel overall was just "Okay." I would not go out of my way to stay here again. The rooms were pretty beat up and bathrooms a little moldy. There was also a children's basketball team staying there and running amuck through the halls late into the night. We just turned up the tv louder - no use complaining really.

The hotel staff was very nice and helpful, they definitely make up for the other downfalls. The most disappointing thing about this hotel is the town that it's situated in. Do not be fooled by the "Historic District" of Georgetown. There really is nothing there but a couple very pricey restaurants, seedy bars, and one museum. We asked the front desk where to eat and the most "middle of the road" place they sent us to was extremely overpriced for the quality of the food. After being spoiled in Charleston and Savannah, we were not impressed and felt ripped off at The River Room.

However, understanding that the hotel can't do anything about the lackluster town, they offer a decent place to stay for one night max. We really want to start avoiding Hampton and Doubletree locations in general.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1210emily
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I had a fantastic stay at the Georgetown, SC Hampton by the Marina. What a great experience. Hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful and meet every need we had. As a boat guy, I really thought your location was cool. We will certainly stay with you again next time we are in the area. Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Georgetown I, General Manager at Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

We THANK YOU so much for the awesome review you gave us! I will definately share this review with all of our staff! We look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Teri Holland

Reviewed 6 June 2014

You are lucky to have people who really care about the travelers who arrive night after night. Ivory has it all together and seems able to welcome and solve problems on the spot, true Southern hospitality. The other people at the desk were also very helpful.
The hotel is in need of a thorough revamping, its tired, but they will always have the perfect view. Was leery about booking our room on the top floor because of past reviews but everything turned out to be working just fine. I hope that another stay will be in our future and that Ivory and other staff will be on site.

Room Tip: Higher floors have no upstairs traffic and less noise in general. Stay away from any elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Baymont Inn & Suites Georgetown/Near Georgetown Marina
Hampton Inn Pawleys Island - Litchfield
Best Western Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island

Been to Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina? Share your experiences!