“This place should be closed!!!!”
Review of Carolinian Inn

Carolinian Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Carolinian Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Georgetown
Georgetown
“This place should be closed!!!!”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I had the worse experience at this MOTEL. The front desk clerk was rude, mean, and an all around WITCH!!!!! The only half way decent person at this place was the two sisters who are the housekeepers/maintenance. they helped us with EVERYTHING, and even after the owner wouldn't do squat to help. From changing a light bulb, to switching my TV when it quit. They were the only reason I stayed the rest of my time there.This place is terrible, and I mean this with all my experience in travel, it was the worst!!!! The swimming pool was green there was no continental breakfast as the web site suggest, and I couldn't get the wifi to even work were I was.The owner of this place has really allowed it to run into the ground. Even a little paint, and some decent front desk clerks could perk up the place, but in my opinion as long as they are letting the owner run the desk they will eventually go out of business. If you are looking for a great hotel, or even a good hotel, this is not it!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
NC
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I feel better after reading the reviews for this place, I'm not alone in what I've suffered. My daughter and I stayed at this hotel as it was the only one available and it looked nice on the website. We pulled up and thought it looked unique from the outside. We walked in and the foyer felt like a tomb. No furniture and a rigid, sour woman sitting at the desk. She was very rude, nasty and smirked that we would have to pay in full up front no early checkouts no refunds. I gave her the benefit of doubt and paid. I thought maybe she was an overworked underpaid clerk who was just having a bad day. Turns out she was the owner. We got into our room and wow-how depressing. Trash filled drawers, broken pieces of the vanity and sink laying on the floor, pubic hairs covering the sheets, no batteries in the remote, blood down the stairwell, no breakfast as advertised. Her response to my daughter's request for clean sheets was, "Go back to your room!" Housekeeping lady did bring sheets and said she didn't know what is wrong with the owner, how crazy she is and unreasonable and stingy. She also said they will NOT give money back to people and that she and her sister are the only housekeeping/maintenance the hotel has. After that I called the front desk and asked about the free wifi that wasn't working. The owner told me they have nothing to do with that. I said you advertise it on your sign and it's not working. She said ours is working. I said can I have the number for your service provider. She screamed at me and said we have nothing to do with that and slammed the phone down on me. My daughter and I went to the front desk where two folks were checking in, I told them, "don't do it" and the woman started screaming at us telling us to get out, called us riff raff, told us housekeeping had complained about us us (when we were not even there the entire day!) and told us to "go back to our little jobs". Her behavior was insane, bizarre, rude, terrible. I asked for my money back and she screamed fine, but you're paying for last night! She snatched the checkout papers from us and told us to get off the property. I have worked in travel for years and traveled extensively on business and leisure and have never experienced, nor have I heard of anyone else experiencing, such atrocious behavior and conditions. And she was the owner! This place should be condemned. It's staggering to learn that such a place can keep its doors open. It's filthy, rundown and has a local reputation for it. Folks at other hotels know this woman as Carolyn and are familiar with her behavior and the way the Carolinian is run as well as the condition of it. I wish I had asked other properties before booking. I will never go back to this hotel and have recommended the hundreds of direct associates that I have to never go here. I cringe when I drive by it. It's a shame that this one hotel has been able to do so much damage.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
18 Thank BRecken
Georgetown,SC
Reviewed 15 February 2010

My sister was having her 40th birthday party in Georgetown, SC. She spoke with a wonderful girl that worked at the carolinian who set up a group rate for all of us to stay. However, we all received different rates even tho we used sister's name at time of booking. When some of us arrived, our key cards had to be programmed several times IN THE SNOW because the person at front desk had NO CLUE. My mother was taken in another family member's room while we waited. (She is in a wheel chair and has cancer for the second time) The first set of rooms for the first to arrive was pretty clean. However, when another sister arrived at 3 am, she found cheese puff crumbs in her sheets.. along with the bag. (NICE ROOM SERVICE) Next day, we asked for clean towels and sheets.. OWNER was nasty rude and said that we told her staff we didn't need any service.. that's funny considering none of us were there, we had all left for a spa day with the birthday girl. The owner even was nasty to a 14 year old child...called him names! There isn't enough room to type everything that happened at this place. Take my advice and STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
12 Thank SusanCW
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Googled "Bed & Breakfast, Georgetown, SC" and the website for the Carolinian Inn came up with 3 others. So I figured I was safe. NOT! While the price/nite was attractive ~$60. Compared with the other 3 listed I took the bait. According the the web site it looked like an old antebellum structure... when we got there it was basically a MOTEL and they didn't even serve breakfast (standard in the business even for hotels/motels these days). Wife also found a "fingernail" in the bathroom... yuck. Don't think I would ever consider that place again. Was rundown and needed a good cleaning and coat of fresh paint. Bed was huge 4-poster and comfortable, but rest was a big negative.

JP Saleeby, Md
www.CarolinaMobileMD.com

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank JPSaleebyMD
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2009

We stayed at the Carolinian Inn for two nights out of our week long vacation. When we checked into the hotel it was late at night. The hotel was beautiful and fit the old plantation look of Georgetown. The bedrooms were just as beautiful. I remember thinking I had walked back in time when I stepped into the room but we realized something was amiss. There were no towels in the room, no cups, soaps, no trash bags in the trash cans, and no shower curtain. There were only the shower curtain rings hanging on the rusty looking shower rod. We decided it was too late in the night to complain to the staff so we bathed the kids of sand from our beach trip and went to bed.

We woke up and left the hotel to have breakfast and to visit some attractions. Hotels usually make the beds during the day so we figured that all the missing towels and things would be replaced by time we got back. When we returned our key cards wouldn't even open the door to our room. We had to go complain to the staff just to get them to reset the keys. When we entered the room nothing had changed. The beds were just as we left them, sand still on the floor from the little ones, and no towels or trash bags. My husband had to go back to the front desk to ask about it. Apparently their cleaning staff was having issues and several rooms had complained. The guy at the desk didn't have access to the supply room so he gave us some towels and a shopping bag to use for trash. How horrible.

The next day we decided we'd had enough and we left. I've never had so much trouble from a hotel in all my travels. We will never stay there again. The beauty of the hotel does not make up for the horrible service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
12 Thank EmeraldTokyo
england
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We booked a night in the Carolinian as it was recommend in a couple of guide books. I must drop them a line to let them know just how bad this place is. Dirty rooms, ceilings falling in, the bathroom was not fit to use. Bedding shocking. You would think they had a couple of good rooms? As we were one of the few rooms occupied this can only mean that all the rooms are as bad. I would think this place will close very soon, if not take my advice, just keep going. We are from England and travel around the US a lot. This is by far the worst place I have ever stopped inn. Georgetown is nice, so take a look at that and move on.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lincolnshiregirl
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 October 2008

By being in the military, I have seen a lot of hotels and been in a few.This hotel is the worst i've stayed in.
For one, we changed rooms three times over a two day stay. It started in the first room smelling like Sugar Honey IceTea(use the capital letters). My sister called the front desk and they told her to come down and get some frebreeze. We were home to attend a family reunion and left the hotel to join our relatives. Upon returning, my sister called me yelling about the sink. The sink was full of ants. So, we ended up in room #2.
Room#2 was no better. The lights to the bathroom didn't work and no remote to the tv(minor issue). Went to sleep and woke up sweating to realize the a/c didn't work. Wow!!! On to room #3.
Room#3 the last day and straw. We had to go to the front desk every time we needed to enter the room. No ironing board or iron. There were no towels or anything. Now I mentioned the military for a reason. Not saying that I deserve a better treatment than others, but this is my hometown and I have been to Iraq. Just to add, I have returned safe from Iraq and this is the type of service I received. Not acceptable and I will continue to get this place inspected before someone gets seriously hurt or sick.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BlueThunder2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island

Been to Carolinian Inn? Share your experiences!