“Best Fried Shrimp EVER!!”
Review of Ball & Que

Ball & Que
Ranked #22 of 74 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: American
Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
“Best Fried Shrimp EVER!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I am a local and go to the "Q" at least once a week. Thier Sunday Buffet is a Favorite of mine if I can beat the church crowd there. BUT by far the FRIED SHRIMP is the best I have ever had anywhere. Thank you Ball an Que

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Lib O

Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“What do you mean there's no cake...”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

The Ball and Cue has the most incredible 14 layer Caramel cake I have ever had. That is if you can get someone to wait on you. During a recent visit, after the lunch rush, my wife and I went in to have a quick bite at the lunch counter.

The food was adequate, but nothing more. We had the fried chicken, which was OK. We also had the cheese steak, which was smallish for the price. However, the reason for this poison pen was that we asked, before we ordered, was there any Caramel Cake. The waitress, too lazy to look, said she was sure there was cake.

My wife and I had been on a diet for several months. All we wanted was a break from diet food. Needless to say, our disappointment was evident on our faces. On a good note, we found almost as good a caramel cake at The Big Tuna. It only had twelve layers and the icing was not as rich.

This brings me to another point. The service was painfully slow. People had to come to the counter to get service. Two men came in and sat at one end of the counter. After 15 minutes they left. While we were eating, two dirty plates remained on the counter beside us during our entire meal. During all of this there were no less than five waitresses on duty.

We won't be back. No cake and no excuses.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Ken W
Grand Strand
“Home Cooking for Lunch”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you are ever in Georgetown,SC around lunch time and want some good ole home cooking, make your way over to Highmarket Street and look for the Ball & Que restaurant. They usually have a one meat, three veggies and/or dessert with tea for around $8.00. They vary the selection daily, but fried chicken is an everyday staple. They also have a lunch menu if you want to pick off of it. It can get crowded as the locals go there for lunch, but I've never seen anyone have to wait to be seated. They also do breakfast and dinner, with nightly specials in the latter part of the week. Attire is very casual. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank JimFGrandStrand
Charleston, South Carolina
“A hankering for sea food. Left a tad disappointed”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

As a last minute eat out as we were traveling thru Georgetown on our way home, my wife recalled a native telling her that all the locals go to Ball & Que and that is a "good" place to eat.

We we did have a hankering for sea food. But we were left a tad disappointed.

I had the grilled flounder (a bit fishy tasting and otherwise not very flavoriful, maybe the fried would have been better) was served along with grilled shrimp (which were tasty but awful small). My wife opted for the made-to-order friend chicken, which she did enjoy. The sides (green beans) were just OK, nothing to write home about and her roll was hard. My corn-bread was 4 our of 5 points so I was happy with that. We opted not for dessert even though the $12 Flounder/Shrimp special did not quit fill me up.

Have to give this place a "C" or a "C+" as the server was attentive. Food was just at or below average.

• Visited April 2012