“First Time Review....Just Had Too!”
Review of Alfresco Bistro

Alfresco Bistro
Ranked #8 of 73 Restaurants in Georgetown
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Alfresco Bistro is an authentic Italian Restaurant. We are located in the heart of Georgetown on Front St! We offer Lunch and Dinner daily! We also have a large assorted Brunch Buffet every Sunday. We have a live band every Friday and Saturday Night from 7 until 10! Come join us and bring your friends and family!
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First of all, I am not a owner or an employee of this restaurant. I am however a co-owner of another restaurant a few doors down from Alfresco. Some may question why I would rate Alfresco as 5 stars and give them this positive review. The answer is simple. It is because of the previous review and how unfair and unfortunate I think it is that some people can leave a negative review about something that the owners of Alfresco have no control over. And how unfortunate it is that such a review can have a negative impact. If you knew the owners of this Bistro and seen for yourself the hard work and dedication they put into it, it would be hard for anyone to give them anything less than 5 stars. They strive to make every customer happy with dishes that are in my opinion, works of art. The owners started out a couple years ago with 8 tables and through hard work and determination, and by serving great tasting and quality food, have managed to grow this restaurant and expand to now accommodate more than 70 people at once. The chef and co-owner knows his stuff and works hard to ensure that every dish that is delivered to a table is properly prepared and beautifully presented. Alfresco has earned a reputation in Georgetown of being a fine dining establishment. Everyone in the restaurant business can learn lessons from this chef, and I can guarantee you that you will not find better Italian dishes in this area. My fiancee and I have enjoyed many dishes from Alfresco and each one has always been delicious and served by a professional and courteous wait staff. With that said, I also know for a fact how hard it can be to satisfy every single customer that walks in the door. The comment about "a sort of restaurant for an intimate dinner, rather than one that children would enjoy" stands out to me because the reviewer is blaming the restaurant for something that is out of their control. Parents make choices of where to eat and are responsible for their children's behavior, certainly not the owners of this restaurant. If Alfresco had refused service to this group, negative comments possibly would have been said about that too. So you win some, you lose some. My advise to the previous reviewer is if you do not want to be bothered by children, go somewhere that doesn't allow them. As far as Alfresco Bistro, you will not be disappointed. The food is excellent and everyone is welcome. See for yourself why most of us other restaurant owners in Georgetown have such high regard for Alfresco and agree that they do in fact deserve 5 stars.

7  Thank sglawson

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Our party ate inside on a Friday night. "Intimate interior" quickly becomes cramped/loud with just a few tables seated. (Will certainly try patio next time.)
We chose several standards from the menu, including stuffed flounder, veal piccata, and pork chops. All were good, but nothing really special (though the asparagus was terrific!). We followed with two desert specials that were very nice.
Service was hit/miss. While friendly, she would disappear often; we had to retrieve our own missing flatware, and also request additional water/drinks.
So overall...we'll probably give them another try, but there are several other options nearby we'll try first.

2  Thank Jay C
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had dinner at Alfresco Bistro, after hearing rave reviews of it around town. We sat indoors, and the atmosphere was nice, but there was a very noisy group having a birthday party for children. It's a fairly small place, and seems to me to be the sort of restaurant for an intimate dinner, rather than one that children would enjoy. The food was good - I had an Italian dish. The waitress actually rolled her eyes when we declined to order wine. She also made no offer of dessert after dinner, so the service was far from ideal.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our lunch was delicious! I enjoyed a creamy pimento cheese sandwich on sourdough with a cup of lobster bisque and a side salad. My husband enjoyed a lightly fried flounder sandwich served on cibatta with a side of fresh fruit.

1  Thank o2see
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My previous favorite Georgetown restaurant was Rice Paddy, which was subsequently sold, the new owners not keeping the excellence of this great restaurant alive, a sad result considering the amazing space and previous quality. They recently closed down for lunch, a surprise find as my wife and I drove out of our way to give it another chance. We were about to head to Chive Blossom, another great option just on the mainland of Pawleys Island when a shop owner mentioned Alfresco Bistro, saying it was well worth a visit. We decide to give it a try and am so glad we did as we found our new spot for lunch in Georgetown, SC.

Alfresco Bistro was excellent in all aspects this day with personable service and a great atmosphere out on the sidewalk in the shade with cloth covered tables under the trees, each table with fresh flowers. I had one of the specials of the day, consisting of Grilled Grouper, roasted Potatoes, and sauteed Asparagus, with an artistic dotting of sauce around the plate. The key to great seafood is two-fold: It has to be FRESH and it has to be COOKED CORRECTLY. The chef at Alfresco Bistro nailed it on both counts with an amazingly moist, succulent piece of fish, with a hint of crisp on the outside and flaky,tender,not dry perfection inside. A great bistro should use simple, excellent ingredients with great spicing to create bold and robust flavor. Again, this was accomplished with aplomb. The olive oil and spices tasted of quality and as if the chef had great feel. The Asparagus was perfectly done as was the roasted potato. It was a hot day and I ordered a Blue Moon, a great summer beer.

My wife had a glass of the house Pinot Grigio along with the house Crab Salad. She was very happy with it and although I thought my option won the imaginary battle between the two, I have to say it was a nice choice.

One thing of note here. Alfresco Bistro is VERY reasonably priced, especially for this level of quality and experience. They had inexpensive options on the wine list and all the entries, sandwiches, and salads were priced less than the competition at places like Chive Blossom, another local favorite.

Next time in Georgetown, I hope to try this excellent spot for dinner as it looks to be a stellar choice. The interior is not quite as compelling as the Rice Paddy's space but it looks intimate with low lighting and tastefully done. Look forward to our next visit. Judging by the amount of locals that were at the tables around us, it's a good bet.

On another front, I was somewhere surprised to find Reflections Grill as #1 though do admit that for its type, the food DID look good from a walk-by. Looked very casual and a fun stop for some fried options. This place is RIGHT NEXT To Alfresco Bistro but thankfully far enough where you can't hear the Top 40 radio station blaring at the customers. To me, the vibe at Alfresco was just what we were looking for.

Hope your experience was as good as ours. Wish I had some more shots of the restaurant but got a few of the food and feel of the afternoon.

- kh