“Good food, good location”
Review of River Room

River Room
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, View, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good food, good location”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I have dined here several times during family visits in Georgetown. The Low Country specialties are very good. At our most recent visit, my husband had Creole Gumbo, which he said was delicious, and I had shrimp and grits with Adouille sausage, which was also excellent, with very fresh shrimp. We should have saved room for the New Orleans style bread pudding which we've enjoyed before, but sadly we did not.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank IngridRPT

United States
“Honeymooners Dining in Georgetown”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I were in Georgetown for one night, to break up a road trip home from our honeymoon. The hotel suggested that we dine at the River Room. We were NOT impressed.

We were sat immediately, which was nice. We were clearly the youngest people there (other than some children). Perhaps this is why our waitress treated us like we couldn't afford to be there? I'm not sure what it was, but after being in Charleston and Savannah, this was the worst "Southern Hospitality" that we experienced. We were honeymooners, so obviously we were willing to splurge on nearly anything - so her attitude was a little disheartening.

Beside the service, the food was not much better. I ordered a seafood penne pasta and was not impressed by it for the price, and I will enjoy and eat just about anything. I did end up getting ill from it that night and the next day. My husband got a ribeye and said that he was not impressed at all either, again, for the price that they charge.

It seems that they have "usual" customers who have been coming here for years on vacation after riding around on their yachts for the day, and they don't really know better because it's nostalgic for them. That's the vibe that we got, and that we were not welcome to the club.

The most disappointing part about Georgetown is that you have a few restaurants like this to choose from, or fast food. I wish there were more options. We would not visit the River Room again.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank 1210emily
“Really Good Place To Dine”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We wanted a little something before heading to the hotel so we stopped here. Trip Advisor was our guide with its high reviews and the previous reviewers weren't wrong.
We shared a plate of the 2 Combo with scallops and shrimp. Plenty for two people unless you're a heavy eater and/or hungry. The scallops were among the best I've ever had. The shrimp was great as well. They came fried, but there was no heavy greasy tasted and the batter was very light. Good stuff.
I asked some people around us as to their flounder and grouper; they all said it was very fresh and tasty.
I'd come back here in a heartbeat. Oh, and our server, Ruth, was very attentive without being intrusive.
A highly recommended place to dine.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank mspons
Hemet, California
“Pleasant Place”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The service was good and the view is nice if you sit on the patio with a view of the water. The lighting inside was very dim. The food was just okay. I ate there for lunch and was disappointed that there was no fresh seafood on the menu especially since that is what Georgetown is known for. I wanted local fish or shrimp. However I was told that local fish was served at dinner.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ursula G
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Dinner with Friends”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This is my second visit. The food is good. Nice choices on the menu. The service was great. The porch has a nice view of the water. Inside is a little dark. Will definitely go back.

2 Thank patguad49