“Great stay! Not perfect, but this property does not deserve the negative ratings on here!”

TownePlace Suites Greenville Haywood Mall
Ranked #33 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We were travelling with another friend and decided that a 2 bedroom suite was less expensive than 2 separate rooms (even if we had stayed at a budget motel). Since we are loyal Marriott rewards members, we decided to give the Towneplace Suites a try. Although in a central location near Haywood mall, the property is tucked away and somewhat hidden. There are no restaurants or convenience stores within walking distances. However, the hotel does have a well stocked snack section/pantry, and the prices are very reasonable (like $1 for M&Ms, $1 for soda) There was a small outdoor by the lobby that was closed for the season.

Overall, the property looks more like an apartment complex than a hotel. There appears to be 2 separate buildings one on the left (where the office is) and one on the right. When we walked into the other building, there was a strong scent of cigarette smoke. Unfortunately, some obnoxious guest had either smoked in the hall or in their room, but that is really beyond the hotel's control. Since this was a 100% smoke free property we were really worried about the smell of the room, fortunately, the room was clean and smelled fresh (with no hint of cigarette smoke).

The 2 bedroom suite was very spacious. There is a sleeper sofa in the living area that we did not use. Each bedroom had a queen bed and a TV. A useful design is that there is a separate door between the toilet/shower and the sink. Yes, the property is older, but the beds/sheets were clean and comfortable. Room could use some upgrades, but everything was in perfect working order. In the 2nd bedroom, they put the TV right in front of the mirror, rendering it useless!

It was my understanding that Towneplace Suites does not provide a complementary breakfast. It certainly was not mentioned on our rate plan. So, we were surprised when there was a carton of orange juice, milk and hot water for grits and oatmeal. There were also apples and some pastries. It is not as nice as a Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn, but when you expected nothing, it was a pleasant surprise. Frankly, the "continential" breakfast is better than many others around.

Parking is plentiful and right by the entrances. There was an elevator in our building, but it was easier to walk up the stairs. The staff were professional and friendly, addressed the long term guests by their first name.

Bottom line: The room/suite was clean, comfortable and quiet. For what we paid (a little over $100 per night) for a 2 bedroom suite, it was an incredible value. Had it just been my wife and I, we probably would have stayed at the Fairfield Inn or Courtyard, but we would not hesitate to return here in the future!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank adventuretravelernc
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Greenville Haywood Mall

Reviewed 10 November 2009

What a cr...ppy experience!.

Excellent location, close to everywhere in Greenville ( not that Gville is a Huge city ).

The hotel per se is old, in need of a renovation right now.

My room was in the third floor, there was no elevator. Was raining like crazy, very few parking spots were left.

The room was so so. Small, OLD ( you see a trend here? ) furniture, old decor, old carpet.

I would NEVER stay here again, even if it was free.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Sofa Bed would not open without hitting TV in front
Very slow internet.
Room was not cleaned during the day, no fresh towels
Breakfast consisted of bottle of OJ and muffin on a table (no milk, cereal, yogurt, fruit?)
An unpleasant experience

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2008

TownePlace Suites Greenville Haywood Mall is an excellent choice when staying in the Greenville, South Carolina area. The hotel is convenient to the airport, restaurants, and shopping. Although I only stayed one night, it was thoroughly enjoyable. I had a two-bedroom suite which was perfect. I will definitely stay here again when visiting the Greenville area.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Some of the later reviews on here threw me off.....but I got such a good deal ($99 for a 2-bedroom suite) I couldn't resist. I was very pleasantly surprised!

In order for me to give an "Excellent" on Trip Advisor, something (in a good way) has to REALLY stand out at a property. In this case, it was the people. The employees here were so friendly and helpful it really made the stay!

The property has recently been redone. The lobby area has an updated and modern twist to it. Our room was exactly what we needed.......2 bedrooms, full kitchen, large sitting area, and a bathroom with sep. dressing area. The bedding is updated to current Marriott beds.

I do realize the one bedroom units are much smaller, but if you were traveling alone or with one other person it would be just fine.

Without a doubt, I will stay here again when I am in the area!

As an added note, they were more than nice about a very early check-in!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 July 2008

We booked a room for two weeks but checked out early because of fleas in the room. We were actually bitten! In general, the rooms are not very clean.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 January 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while in Greenville for a family event. The location is nice - very quiet but close to a variety of retail areas. The room was Ok - clean and nice size - though newer pillows would be good and the furnishings look a little worn and cheap. However, it appears that a number of people actually live in this hotel and the smell of various foods cooking in the building spread into the hall and rooms. For this reason, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple