“JUST AN EXPENSIVE ROOM-good location but no real service”

Courtyard Greenville Downtown
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Desk staff is usually not visually present and are not very friendly - helpful when there but only because it is their job. Watched a guest wait 6 minutes for someone to come out from the back office during normal evening check in time. I was still unloading the car so when it was my turn to check-in I had to wait equally long for that guest to be finished.

Gave up ordering breakfast at Bistro - slow and inefficient service. Each prior order had to be fulfilled before a juice could be rung up for the next guest. BISTRO not open in evening because of adjacent over priced restaurant - no compete clause. Lots of good nearby restaurants but not if you are in a hurry to finish up work.

This location has nice updated rooms but you hear all the city sounds in the room.
I prefer the older style Courtyard at Haywood -less expensive and no parking fees.

• Stayed: September 2013
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Jim-Bob-98,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback, positive and negative, as this is the only way we can hope to adapt and continue to meet our guests’ ever-changing needs!

I apologize for the delay you experienced at check-in and at the Bistro, thank you for bringing your experience to our attention, and assure you that these issues will be addressed departmentally. We pride ourselves on efficient and exceptional customer service, and anything less is unacceptable. Our property is indeed unique in that our Bistro is only open for Breakfast, however, we do offer fruit, sandwich, and salad options in our 24/7 Market that are provided daily by a fantastic local deli if you are in need of a quick meal. There are also several breakfast, lunch, and dinner options in the immediate area that provide vastly different atmospheres and speeds of service. Several will even deliver directly to the hotel!

The next time your travels bring you through Downtown Greenville, I would be happy to assist you with restaurant recommendations, and assure you a quieter room.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is a great choice for downtown Greenville. The hotel is brand new, rooms are large, beds comfortable and staff great. Location could not be better with Main Street and its many restaurants literally around the corner. Parking Garage next door with direct elevator access to the hotel lobby. Good 24 hour gym on the second floor. If you get a chance try a bike ride on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, which is right close to the hotel.

Dear FirstTravellerLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor!

As a Top Contributor for Tripadvisor, it is clear that you travel often, and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I am glad you enjoyed your room and had time to take advantage of our 24/7 fitness center, but I’m glad you got to enjoy yourself outside of our hotel, as well! Downtown Greenville is such a pleasant area with so much to see, eat, and do! The restaurant scene here is vast and home to some really incredible establishments, and all within walking distance. The Swamp Rabbit Trail is both a guest and local favorite- and a fantastic choice for a bike ride! It is especially lovely now that Autumn is upon us!

Should your travels bring you back through Greenville, please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to assist you with reservations. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times - each time was to be in town to be at the hospital with my mother who was extremely ill. Both times I didn't have much notice that I needed to be there and I had no idea how long I'd need a room.

Each time, the ENTIRE staff of this hotel went above and beyond what I have experienced previously in terms of compassion, amazing customer service, and attention to detail. In particular, Shelby and Augusta have assisted in finding a room for me during extremely busy weeks or weekends. They remembered me and asked about how my mom was doing. I am not a high level rewards member either.

VERY convenient things that are available for purchase behind the checkin area are to-go boxes from a great, local deli - They had amazing salads, sandwiches, and wraps when I was there as well as fresh fruit cups. For my situation, I was able to buy a grab and go salad nearly every day to either eat in my room or take to the hospital as I was visiting my mom there.

Each time I was there, I had to extend my stay by at least a day and was unsure how much longer I would need to stay. Maybe I was just lucky that there was availabilty on those days, however, I believe that the staff found me a room even if it meant keeping track of my need and waiting for someone to call and cancel and then reserving the room for me.

Additionally, I must mention housekeeping as they did a lovely job cleaning my room daily during each of my visits. After asking one day for extra washcloths, there were some extras every day after that- she remembered every day and just put out extras. Really THOUGHTFUL!

WONDERFUL HOTEL because of the WONDERFUL STAFF! Thank you so much for helping to ease a difficult time for me!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a fully enclosed stand up shower with glass doors and some have a tub/shower combo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Happysparke,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I’m so sorry to hear about your mother, but happy to hear that we have been able to consistently provide you with worry-free stays during this difficult time.

We constantly strive to provide the best customer service, and it brings me so much joy to see how our entire team has successfully and excellently delivered that to you. We have such a genuinely caring team- from Front Desk, to Housekeeping, to Maintenance- and I am glad they had the opportunity to get to know you and serve you better. Thank you so much for your review, and I look forward to sharing your kind words with our staff. If I can be of any assistance in any way in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed overnight in the Courtyard by Marriott in Greenville, SC. From the time we pulled up in at the entrance to the time we checked out the next morning we couldn't have asked for a more friendly and accommodating staff, a safe environment (a room key was required to take the elevator to a floor above the lobby), and a nicely appointed room with a view of Main Street.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Marymuffin,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Excellent customer service is our goal, and I appreciate you sharing your compliments with the Tripadvisor community. I will be sure to share them with our team as well. The key-card elevator access is a relatively new feature at our property, and I’m glad to see you appreciated the extra measure. Your comfort and safety are our highest priorities, and I’m glad we were able to serve you well in both!

Thank you again for your review, and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have stayed at this courtyard many times and their staff in one of the best in the industry. Joseph and Shelby at the front desk consistently perform exceptionally whenever I am there. Great experience, well trained and they always smile.

We miss you Christina!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Mike F,

Thank you for your review! I appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and our property, and I am thrilled at your glowing review of our staff! We set a very high standard for customer service here, and we are so happy to have a Front Desk team that joyfully rises to the challenge every day! Joseph, Shelby, and Christina are excellent additions to our team, and I will be sure to pass along your gracious compliments. As always, please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was there for business. It's a great location if you need to go to the Peace center or many other great places in downtown Greenville. Room was huge, bed was comfortable and seemed to be very clean. The parking garage was unusually well lit. Elevators require a room key card to operate. Exercise room is a little better equipped then other places I've stayed. Went down to the restaurant with other members of the company. They seemed to love the atmosphere of the bar area and seemed very relaxed. The Hotel was apparently full as well as most other places downtown. Lots of activity.

As far as the Restaurant on the main level, I didn't enjoy my food. I thought it didn't have much taste to it. But one can find many many fine restaurants all along downtown there within a short walk. Downtown Greenville is one of the finest in the country. Check out what the hotel has to see if it's right for you. You'll pay a premium staying here or eating anywhere in downtown Greenville, but I think you'll enjoy the experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear gotaluvme,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your room and were able to take advantage of our 24/7 Fitness Center! As the newest hotel in Downtown, we take great care in maintaining our facilities and making sure you have the most comfortable stay possible, and I thank you for your compliments. Greenville is well known for its pedestrian-friendly Downtown, and the plethora of shops, restaurants, and entertainment creates enjoyable environment for both guests and locals alike! I'm sorry to hear that your dining experience wasn't to your liking, and, if you find that your travels bring you back through Greenville, I would be happy to offer other recommendations! Downtown Greenville boasts dozens of incredible restaurants, widely varying in both atmosphere and cuisine, and many of our guests each have their own personal favorite. I appreciate your thoughtful review and thank you again for your time! Please let me know if I can assist you in any way in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Great location directly across the street from the Peace Center (Greenville Symphony Orchestra).
Joseph Blasco, Guest Service Representative, greeted us with a smiling face and a warm welcome. We opted for self parking since we where planning to eat on property and then go to the symphony. The room easily meet our expectations. Our first experience with Nantucket Grill was outstanding. Sunday morning, with directions from Joseph, we took off for the Rabbit trail, which runs along the Reedy river, another wonderful experience. All of this in Downtown Greenville!

Dear Carl C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor! We are so fortunate to be in such a central location in Downtown Greenville, mere steps away from the Peace Center, Falls Park, and dozens of truly fantastic shops and restaurants. I'm glad to see that you got to experience the Greenville Symphony Orchestra, Rick Erwin's Nantucket Seafood Grill, and the Swamp Rabbit Trail all in one visit! You made wonderful choices! The Greenville Symphony Orchestra puts on wonderful performances and Nantucket is one of the best restaurants in Downtown. The Swamp Rabbit Trail is one of Greenville's gems, and a veritable must-see for our visiting walkers, joggers, and cyclists. As a Marriott brand property, we strive to provide exceptional customer service, and I am so glad to hear that Joseph left you with such a lasting impression. I will certainly pass along your compliments. Thank you again for your review, and I hope we will see you again soon! Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance with your future reservations.